Proposal: Draisaitl for Slavin+ rights for Necas this summer

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
If you can acquire Leon Draisaitl there are basically a list of 2 defensemen in the league that you aren't moving.
Makar and Fox, I'm assuming?

You don't have to understand it, you just have to accept it and move on.

It's a proposal neither side is ever making anyway, so the debate is academic.

Better than Montreal and San Jose.

And academically, there is no way that Carolina is a worse team for trading Jaccob Slavin to morph Martin Necas into Leon Draisaitl.

I understand "Oh, this defenseman is so vital to how we play". You'd find a new way to play if your 1-2 at C was Draisaitl and Aho.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023

I mean, that comprises like 25-30 teams in the league. Damning with faint praise, here.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
lol what.

The Canes would shit their pants if Edmonton offered them Drai for Slavin and a player that they don't even anticipate in signing.

Drai / Aho would immediately be the best 1/2 center punch in the league. They could easily triage their many propsects and picks into a top pairing defenseman to cover the hole Slavin would create.

It’s that easy to acquire a top pair defensemen?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
If you believe that Necas is a 40-60 pt forward than value wise it makes sense to upgrade him to Draisatl for Slavin, as long as extensions are already in. If you think Necas is going to reach his peak consistently or improve, then it doesn't make sense to upgrade the 40ish points at best that Drai is.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It’s that easy to acquire a top pair defensemen?

It’s a lot easier to acquire a top pair defenseman than a player of Drai’s quality.

Makar and Fox, I'm assuming?

And academically, there is no way that Carolina is a worse team for trading Jaccob Slavin to morph Martin Necas into Leon Draisaitl.

I understand "Oh, this defenseman is so vital to how we play". You'd find a new way to play if your 1-2 at C was Draisaitl and Aho.

Was thinking Makar and Hughes, but yeah Fox is probably in there.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

No shit. They are bottom feeders. :laugh:

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Both combined will go over 12m. Drai is 8m. Caproom usually critical. Means Oilers have to cut player somewhere else.

Edmonton could get a ton for Drai. Sign defenseman as UFA. Why would they do this?

Both teams need a goalie first I would say. Keep moving stars around, spending a ton of money in process, while leaving big hole in your team makes no sense.
What are you trying to say?

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I think the Canes would pass. Dundon aspires to be a perennial playoff team. Are the Canes, plus Drai, minus Slavin and Necas a playoff team? I don't think they are. Are they a Cup contender? Definitely not.

Slavin likely finishes his career in Raleigh as long as he wants to...same as Aho and Staal.
This is the most delusional post that will be made in this thread. Slavin is one of the most overrated players in the league and lets look at the last best defensive d man (Vlasic) and how he aged compared to a perennial 100 pt player and arguably the best playoff performer of the last three years.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
This is the most delusional post that will be made in this thread. Slavin is one of the most overrated players in the league and lets look at the last best defensive d man (Vlasic) and how he aged compared to a perennial 100 pt player and arguably the best playoff performer of the last three years.
Again, you don't have to understand it. You just have to move on. There's nothing to really discuss here. We're not further gutting our depleted defense to trade for Draisaitl.

It has nothing to do with respective value and everything to do with building a competitive team. Even if Drai's value is 10x Slavin's, it does not make us a better team to become the best top-2 C but no defense Oilers redux. It didn't work any better for the Oilers than it'll work for us.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Again, you don't have to understand it. You just have to move on. There's nothing to really discuss here. We're not further gutting our depleted defense to trade for Draisaitl.

It has nothing to do with respective value and everything to do with building a competitive team. Even if Drai's value is 10x Slavin's, it does not make us a better team to become the best top-2 C but no defense Oilers redux. It didn't work any better for the Oilers than it'll work for us.
Nobody understand it because it was a stupid thing to post its why you have yet to get a single post backing your position.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Adding Draisaitl to Carolina for Slavin and Necas, 100% makes them a better team.

It gives them a top 5 player at his position.

Slavin isn't a top 5 player at his poistion. He's arguably not even top 10.

Necas isn't a top 30 player at his position.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Bruins will wait Edm out and make Drai the highest paid player in the league with the biggest smile on their face.
If Drain makes it to free agency literally every team in the league will make him an offer he will have his pick. I don't see any reason he would choose Boston over staying in Edmonton.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
If Drain makes it to free agency literally every team in the league will make him an offer he will have his pick. I don't see any reason he would choose Boston over staying in Edmonton.
Obviously it was just a rumor but there was reports Boston is one of his preferred destinations if he leaves Edmonton.

FriarChill

Jan 31, 2023
Vienna
I'll be really surprised if the Oilers won't resign Draisaitl. We read that kind of speculation every year but when was the last time a top5 (or top10 to have a larger sample size) player wasnt resigned but traded instead.

Vivaldi

May 18, 2024
How integral is Slavin to what we do? There are zero forwards in the NHL we trade Slavin for. Zero.

It's not about value, it's about how we are built and play the game.

This reminds me of when Caps fans were insanely fixated on Karl Alzner for 2 seasons and gaslit themselves into believing that he was an irreplaceable cornerstone of the Caps defense because he was such a "cerebral" defenseman and got the LD shutdown/PK minutes. Then the year he leaves we win the cup. As much as Slavin is better than Alzner the Canes absolutely get 10x better if they get Drasaitl and replace Slavin with any moderately competent LD, let alone someone like Nikishkin coming over. Even if their "system" of spamming low percentage shots while giving up juicy chances with lots of time and space in front of their net to other teams that won them all of 0 games after the 2nd round is in jeopardy.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Obviously it was just a rumor but there was reports Boston is one of his preferred destinations if he leaves Edmonton.
I don’t think Boston has the pieces to pull it off. The fanbase wants us to accept something like Ullmark, Poitras, and spare bits, but that’s massively underwhelming.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
I don’t think Boston has the pieces to pull it off. The fanbase wants us to accept something like Ullmark, Poitras, and spare bits, but that’s massively underwhelming.
I don’t disagree, I think at the very best for the B’s it starts with those plus Lohrei and some 1sts but I’d guess Edm would want Pasta or Mac coming back somewhere in there most likely. In reality if the B’s are going to somehow get Drai (it’s a total pipe dream) it will be in free agency because the exact reason you describe so by that very issue they likely don’t get Drai at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad