Proposal: Draisaitl for Slavin+ rights for Necas this summer

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Drai and Slavin are headed into the final year of their contracts. Draisaitl at 8M and Slavin at 5.3M.

Necas is projected to get around 7M (?) for his next contract.

Canes could use a superstar centre to get over the hump, Oilers could use a top pairing dman like Slavin who automatically becomes their best defenceman. Necas would be a good scoring depth option up front for Edmonton. Especially if Drai indicates he won't be coming back in 25-26.

Does either side say yes to this deal? Fair value or not?

Reactions: Easternbull

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Drai and Slavin are headed into the final year of their contracts. Draisaitl at 8M and Slavin at 5.3M.

Canes could use a superstar centre to get over the hump, Oilers could use a top pairing dman like Slavin who automatically becomes their best defenceman. Necas would be a good scoring depth option up front for Edmonton. Especially if Drai indicates he won't be coming back in 25-26.

Oilers probably ask for more, rightly or wrongly.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Both combined will go over 12m. Drai is 8m. Caproom usually critical. Means Oilers have to cut player somewhere else.

Edmonton could get a ton for Drai. Sign defenseman as UFA. Why would they do this?

Both teams need a goalie first I would say. Keep moving stars around, spending a ton of money in process, while leaving big hole in your team makes no sense.

Reactions: wetcoast

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think the Oilers increase their cup chances by trading Draisaitl. Just re-sign him. He's also the #1 reason why McDavid would want to stay in Edmonton.

Don't we have a new thread open about how Draisaitl has one of the top points per game in the playoffs in league history?

You don't trade that.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I don't think the Oilers increase their cup chances by trading Draisaitl. Just re-sign him. He's also the #1 reason why McDavid would want to stay in Edmonton.

Don't we have a new thread open about how Draisaitl has one of the top points per game in the playoffs in league history?

You don't trade that.
You can't sign him if he wants out

Both combined will go over 12m. Drai is 8m. Caproom usually critical. Means Oilers have to cut player somewhere else.

Edmonton could get a ton for Drai. Sign defenseman as UFA. Why would they do this?

Both teams need a goalie first I would say. Keep moving stars around, spending a ton of money in process, while leaving big hole in your team makes no sense.
I don't think they can get a ton.

In the event he wants out and you go to trade him you have hand cuffed yourself. He will limit the teams he will extend with. This is Hanifin all over

Oilers keep Drai and push for cup

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

I think the Canes would pass. Dundon aspires to be a perennial playoff team. Are the Canes, plus Drai, minus Slavin and Necas a playoff team? I don't think they are. Are they a Cup contender? Definitely not.

Slavin likely finishes his career in Raleigh as long as he wants to...same as Aho and Staal.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
You can't sign him if he wants out

I don't think they can get a ton.

In the event he wants out and you go to trade him you have hand cuffed yourself. He will limit the teams he will extend with. This is Hanifin all over

Oilers keep Drai and push for cup
Going to be hard re-sign. Oilers would get farm for Drai. He's 50 goals and 120 points. There's 31 other teams give their eye teeth for that

Reactions: wetcoast

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Oilers DEFINITELY ask for more. lThis trade is a non-starter.
I think the Canes would pass. Dundon aspires to be a perennial playoff team. Are the Canes, plus Drai, minus Slavin and Necas a playoff team? I don't think they are. Are they a Cup contender? Definitely not.

Slavin likely finishes his career in Raleigh as long as he wants to...same as Aho and Staal.

And the Hurricanes are certainly a better team with Draisaitl over Slavin and Necas. They would need to do some work patching the D back up because Slavin would be a huge loss... but my god, it's insanity to think they're a worse team by making this trade.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

lol what.

The Canes would shit their pants if Edmonton offered them Drai for Slavin and a player that they don't even anticipate in signing.

Drai / Aho would immediately be the best 1/2 center punch in the league. They could easily triage their many propsects and picks into a top pairing defenseman to cover the hole Slavin would create.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
lol what.

The Canes would shit their pants if Edmonton offered them Drai for Slavin and a player that they don't even anticipate in signing.

Drai / Aho would immediately be the best 1/2 center punch in the league. They could easily triage their many propsects and picks into a top pairing defenseman to cover the hole Slavin would create.
It would be fun...but we're a defense-first systems team. Losing Slavin would set us back more than any offensive addition could improve us.

Hell, losing an entire 2nd-pair this offseason might be the thing that sinks us...and I certainly don't think Skjei and Pesce are better or worth more than Drai.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It would be fun...but we're a defense-first systems team. Losing Slavin would set us back more than any offensive addition could improve us.

Hell, losing an entire 2nd-pair this offseason might be the thing that sinks us...and I certainly don't think Skjei and Pesce are better or worth more than Drai.

If you can acquire Leon Draisaitl there are basically a list of 2 defensemen in the league that you aren't moving.

Reactions: poobags and Ragdoll

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019

They are 100% a playoff team minus Slavin and Necas plus Drai.

Are they an actual Stanley cup contender? Maybe not.

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
If you can acquire Leon Draisaitl there are basically a list of 2 defensemen in the league that you aren't moving.
How integral is Slavin to what we do? There are zero forwards in the NHL we trade Slavin for. Zero.

It's not about value, it's about how we are built and play the game.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Oilers DEFINITELY ask for more. lThis trade is a non-starter.

And the Hurricanes are certainly a better team with Draisaitl over Slavin and Necas. They would need to do some work patching the D back up because Slavin would be a huge loss... but my god, it's insanity to think they're a worse team by making this trade.
The Flames have Nikishin in the pipeline although I'm not sure what his contract status is but he is 23 at the start of the NHL season and NHL ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad