News Article: Dougie Hamilton's move to leave Boston miffs Shawn Thornton (See Mod Post 212)

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
They blew it. They partied themselves out of dynasty talk.

Two Cups with all that talent. Ugh - they were the best team with a loaded farm. They had real bad luck from Orr's knees to Teddy Green to Harry the guy who could control them leaving over chump change to go into private industry (wrap your head around that one folks) and trading the third and fourth overall draft picks in the loaded 1970 draft Reggie Leach (428) and Rick MacLeish (403) who accounted for over 700 NHL regular season goals & 100+ more in the playoffs

Add in expansion WHA and Derek's 'issues' two Cups is a travesty

This was a 10-20 year 5-10? Cup group

Oh and in 1966 with the first overall pick Boston could have picked clear cut number one player Brad Park but because they had Orr they passed to take a guy who played the more traditional his side of the ice game Barry Gibbs

Yes Boston had Bobby Orr at 18 and could have selected Brad Park at 18

Seguin trade times 6 bazillions

A dynasty got in the way our dynasty Dan. A little thing called Ken Dryden and the Montreal Canadians. Take a look at that lineup, and it is rather easy to understand how that happened. Booze didn't beat us. The Habs did. Oh, and Bobby's knee didn't help either.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Claude and his staff were one of the first to actually view a 4th line as vital to the overall success, helped in the "wearing down" process of opponents
Yeah, but...what does he know? There were and are so many here that didn't agree. And when you compare Claude's record with their records, you'll see instantly who should have listened to whom.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
A dynasty got in the way our dynasty Dan. A little thing called Ken Dryden and the Montreal Canadians. Take a look at that lineup, and it is rather easy to understand how that happened. Booze didn't beat us. The Habs did. Oh, and Bobby's knee didn't help either.

I think it was reported they were boozing heavily in that series and woke up when it was too late.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think it was reported they were boozing heavily in that series and woke up when it was too late.

Montreal partied hard. Lafleur smoked his face off, in the dressing room. Those were the days when the benches always smelled like booze. I remember that, cos I sat behind them at MLG's as a kid. I recall a story of Reggie Leach not showing up for a playoff game in Philly, and having to be roused from unconsciousness in his basement. A cold shower, and 5 goal later (against Boston I believe) and they still laugh about it in Philadelphia.

Original point; training and commitment have changed. Players still party hardy, but yes times have changed. Players usually keep it more private now because of the medias and news cycles.

Future issues to come. Read Bob Proberts book. Look at some of the issues with the early deaths of some of the games enforcers. I think people in the know acknowledge a substance abuse issue looming with prescribed meds like vikodin and oxy.

Many of these guys give all they have to the game, and pay for it in later years. Big $$$$$ means sacrifices -- of all kinds. So, change yes, but booze is still the norm and should be treated as an obvious presence despite the changes.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Montreal partied hard. Lafleur smoked his face off, in the dressing room. Those were the days when the benches always smelled like booze. I remember that, cos I sat behind them at MLG's as a kid. I recall a story of Reggie Leach not showing up for a playoff game in Philly, and having to be roused from unconsciousness in his basement. A cold shower, and 5 goal later (against Boston I believe) and they still laugh about it in Philadelphia.

Original point; training and commitment have changed. Players still party hardy, but yes times have changed. Players usually keep it more private now because of the medias and news cycles.

Future issues to come. Read Bob Proberts book. Look at some of the issues with the early deaths of some of the games enforcers. I think people in the know acknowledge a substance abuse issue looming with prescribed meds like vikodin and oxy.

Many of these guys give all they have to the game, and pay for it in later years. Big $$$$$ means sacrifices -- of all kinds. So, change yes, but booze is still the norm and should be treated as an obvious presence despite the changes.

Just talking about that particular series and the mindset and personality of those Boston Bruins. Sanderson,Espo,McKenzie,Walton,Cashman,Awrey and Cheevers were renowned party boys and during that series they behaved like fools,they are on record admitting it.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Just talking about that particular series and the mindset and personality of those Boston Bruins. Sanderson,Espo,McKenzie,Walton,Cashman,Awrey and Cheevers were renowned party boys and during that series they behaved like fools,they are on record admitting it.

Yep, yet Patrick Kane is on a dynastic hockey team. Today.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

You mean admitted alcoholic Reggie Leach? The one that says alcohol shortened his career and cost him his chance at enshrinement in the HHOF? Not surprising that fans in Philly would laugh about it still, a bunch of them are tools. It may have not affected him that night, but it certainly took it's toll on him long term.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
No more Kane talk please. It wont end well.

Thx.

Ok, we'll move it away from him and talk about other 'champs' who were famous party boys like Babe Ruth, Darryl Strawberry, Derek Jeter, Gronk, Nameth, Mike Richards, Guy Lafleur, Tim Horton, Mickey Mantle.

The list, both contemporary and aged, literally goes on and on.

Point being, I believe that the reason the Bruins lost against Montreal, was because the Habs were better. IMHO this is only a point of discussion as it pertains to the losing teams.

Were the Bruins teams of the 70's the hardest partying champs of all time? Impossible to know. I do know that they are still talked about to this day. And I do know that they won 2 Cups.

Because they only won 2 Cups and that the Bruins didn't get 3 or 4 was more about the Montreal Canadians being better -- and, of course, Bobby Orr's knee.

This is how I see it anyway. When I read about a 21 year old hockey player drinking and having a great time in a bar (cos he's virtually won the lottery) I am about as moved as reading that a tornado swept through a trailer park.

In fact, I think the onus is on the team to get this business in order.

Initially anyway. There are limits.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
You mean admitted alcoholic Reggie Leach? The one that says alcohol shortened his career and cost him his chance at enshrinement in the HHOF? Not surprising that fans in Philly would laugh about it still, a bunch of them are tools. It may have not affected him that night, but it certainly took it's toll on him long term.

I am not implying that alcoholism is "the gateway" to the Hall of Fame here.

What I am saying (based on history that backs this statement up time and time again) is that it doesn't effect these guys so much in their prime.

Wade Boggs used to say he could drink 50-60 beers.

Some of them are on the record as saying they believe it made them perform better.

It indeed effects them in the long haul.

Besides, we don't have to go to the extreme here either. Some people drink only a couple. Others like Reggie Leach became alcoholics. Also medically speaking, based on their definition of "alcoholic" how many "alcoholics" do you think any league has in it?

That stat may just blow our minds :amazed:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
It's funny... but also troubling.

If I'm a young guy, why the hell should I "stay out of the bar"?

Why should we expect Hayes to act like he's a 50 year old suburban husband?

If this is the expectation, then perhaps the attitude problem is not entirely one with the younger players.

I love Thornton, but not everyone's idea of a fun night is bingo at the fire hall.

I don't think he means never, ever go to bars but more bars aren't your priority and when you are in them remember in Boston people will notice if you are trashed, out of control or being a drunken a@$&#!/.

He's right-in a small market hardly anybody knows you but in Boston it's different and being a professional means being aware of the eyes on you.

I also think he legitimately loves Boston and doesn't understand anyone not loving it.

I really like Thornton and I have the feeling he is well liked by teammates and coaches because he gets how to be a professional on and off the ice.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don't think he means never, ever go to bars but more bars aren't your priority and when you are in them remember in Boston people will notice if you are trashed, out of control or being a drunken a@$&#!/.

He's right-in a small market hardly anybody knows you but in Boston it's different and being a professional means being aware of the eyes on you.

I also think he legitimately loves Boston and doesn't understand anyone not loving it.

I really like Thornton and I have the feeling he is well liked by teammates and coaches because he gets how to be a professional on and off the ice.

Yup different rules here. Players can only consume alcohol in offseasons where there is going to be a banner raised at the first home game of the season.

If Segsy got outed as a party animal publicly before the trade (just one Pat Kane type video of him passed out at a bar would be all it would have taken) he'd have been close to despised on this forum and even an 80 point season might not have won people over. Look how much offense people take to BRad Marchand having a few in the summer in MOntreal and having a good time and dancing like an idiot?

This is the best city to win in though.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Yup different rules here. Players can only consume alcohol in offseasons where there is going to be a banner raised at the first home game of the season.

If Segsy got outed as a party animal publicly before the trade (just one Pat Kane type video of him passed out at a bar would be all it would have taken) he'd have been close to despised on this forum and even an 80 point season might not have won people over. Look how much offense people take to BRad Marchand having a few in the summer in MOntreal and having a good time and dancing like an idiot?

This is the best city to win in though.

We are known as a city that will drink to any excuse.

With that we all know how a good drunk can set you back a couple of days from peak performance.

Now if you give us an excuse and have nothing to do for a couple of days ... like win a championship :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad