TSN Radio Doughty's views on playing in Toronto

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
NHL players are kinda a different breed than a lot of other pro athletes, specifically the Canadian players. In baseball, there are guys who would love nothing more then to wear pinstripes or the wear the Red Sox and play in those fishbowls. In basketball who didn't wanna play for the Lakers, Knicks or Celtics historically? My Conclusion: The NHL has a lot of shy/low key personality types, very Canadian.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I think I'd prefer more humble players who don't like the spotlight.

Instead of egotistical players.

I also prefer the more humble type players as well. I think a player can be humble and still enjoy the hero treatment from a hockey crazed population.

The best example I can give of that in Toronto is Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion over the past few seasons (before Eddie's departure). I think most Jays fans would see them both as huge celebrities, especially if the city saw baseball like it does hockey. Most fans would also prefer Edwin's quiet, humble nature over the more flashy and outspoken Bautista.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
I can totally understand Doughty here. If your him would you rather win in LA and not be hounded in the streets or win in Toronto and be noticed everywhere. Some people just enjoy their privacy. Leafs need to find players who love the spotlight and thrive in it.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I can totally understand Doughty here. If your him would you rather win in LA and not be hounded in the streets or win in Toronto and be noticed everywhere. Some people just enjoy their privacy. Leafs need to find players who love the spotlight and thrive in it.

Whether they like it or not, most sports athletes and celebrities give up their right to privacy based on the profession they have chosen.

Anyhow, I seriously doubt most people in the 416 would even recognize Doughty walking up Yonge Street if they saw him in person.

Matthews, however, that's a different story.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
I understand.

Truth is there are times people want to be noticed there are times when people don't.
And all us normal losers who never made more than half a million per year take our anonymity for granted.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
As for Drew, I'd love to see him in a Leafs sweater. Just can't see it happening.

I really believe us Leafs fans are the ultimate in sports fans.

Celtic or Ranger fans (in football) known for their unparalleled passion and rivalry (not to mention hate:laugh:) can't hold a candle to us.

We are on the cusp of greatness (led by an American, no less:sarcasm: ) after years of mismanagement and disappointment but we never wavered.

We will, without a doubt, show sports fans all over the world how real fans celebrate a championship. We won't have a one day, a one week, a one month parade. We will have a year long parade with millions in attendance.

And to all those boys who grew up with Leafs posters on their bedroom walls dreaming of wearing the beloved Blue and White but then declined a trade to Toronto, or put US on their no trade list, as they watch us lift Lord Stanley's Cup, well they can go beep themselves.:laugh:

GET READY WORLD.....LEAFS FANS ARE COMING.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Win a couple Stanley cups in L.A. and a very small population will remember you years down the road. Perhaps you get welcomed back on the 10th or 25th anniversary of your win, and if your great you get your number retired. At least you got to shop in peace and quiet.

If your a player or coach in Toronto (or Montreal) that leads your team to Stanley cups, your NOT forgotten about, your a god damn legend. Your family becomes heroes because they are related to you, your money is not accepted in restaurants, statues are made in your image, streets are named after you.

Yeah I'd take multiple interruptions a day to have that kind of legacy.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Win a couple Stanley cups in L.A. and a very small population will remember you years down the road. Perhaps you get welcomed back on the 10th or 25th anniversary of your win, and if your great you get your number retired. At least you got to shop in peace and quiet.

If your a player or coach in Toronto (or Montreal) that leads your team to Stanley cups, your NOT forgotten about, your a god damn legend. Your family becomes heroes because they are related to you, your money is not accepted in restaurants, statues are made in your image, streets are named after you.

Yeah I'd take multiple interruptions a day to have that kind of legacy.

I've given a bit of thought to a cup win in Toronto...

You're likely on a stamp or a bill. There might be a provincial or city holiday, and yeah, you don't pay for anything again. You don't get a cup parade, you likely have downtown Toronto in a week long party.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A lot of NHLers of this generation grew up with a weak Toronto team and there's this prevailing notion of how much scrutiny, pressure, etc. it is to muddle through here as opposed to winning in obscurity in some sunny destination. But I bet when the Leafs get on track and win a title, you'll see a paradigm shift and people will wonder how guys like Stamkos, Staal, etc. could have possibly stayed away when there was X,Y,Z to be had for bringing a title to Toronto.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
NHL players are kinda a different breed than a lot of other pro athletes, specifically the Canadian players. In baseball, there are guys who would love nothing more then to wear pinstripes or the wear the Red Sox and play in those fishbowls. In basketball who didn't wanna play for the Lakers, Knicks or Celtics historically? My Conclusion: The NHL has a lot of shy/low key personality types, very Canadian.

Aside from the sport itself (hockey is my favourite and personally, the most exciting sport ever) it just seems almost boring. Like I said Hockey is my favorite sport and I watch more hockey than any other sports. But when it comes to shows about hockey, I wont touch just about every podcast out there. Everything on Sportsnet 590 pales in comparison to things like First take, or Undisputed (even though Skip is the biggest tool in North America). I dont think it's because of the people doing the podcasts, but more about the material. The NBA and the NFL have more interesting sub plots on and off the field/court. Hockey just seems more calm, and less exciting. NHL player personalities are 1/5th of what you get in other leauges, and players with personality are crucified for it.

Maybe it's just a Canada vs US thing. Everything in the US is big scale and in your face. Canda not so much

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Lets not also forget the elephant in the room. LA weather and Toronto weather is just a tad bit different from October to April.

Switch the weather and keep everything else the same, and I think Drew might be more willing to wear the blue and white.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Lets not also forget the elephant in the room. LA weather and Toronto weather is just a tad bit different from October to April.

Switch the weather and keep everything else the same, and I think Drew might be more willing to wear the blue and white.

I doubt it, Being a millionaire in America > Being a millionaire in Canada. Ton's of other factors play a role.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What number is Doughty in case I decide to get a shirt?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think I'd prefer more humble players who don't like the spotlight.

Instead of egotistical players.

i'd rather the players who want to play in Toronto and make our team better and win a championship vs. the ones who don't. humble, egotistical or otherwise.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
i'd rather the players who want to play in Toronto and make our team better and win a championship vs. the ones who don't. humble, egotistical or otherwise.

Yup.

I mean are we going to run Josh Donaldson or Marcus Stroman out of town because they like to show some personality? Who cares if they seem "egotistical" as long as their teammates like them and they help the team.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The Antonio Davis kids learning back in the days was just a plot to get the best contract from Raptors, he didn't seem to complain at all when he got traded back to Raptors toward the end of his career when no other team said want him.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
It sucks that hockey players pretty well universally have this desire to be anonymous when athletes in every other sport love the limelight.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
If Steven Stamkos said no, it's never going to happen. There was never an NHL superstar more primed to come home than him.

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
I think the leafs should hire a few thousand stalkers to pose as kings fans to harass him and pay the Toronto media to ignore him that would be awesome lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad