Doug Wilson admits not signing Pavelski was a big mistake

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I can't say I blame Wilson though. How many time do those 35+ YO contracts work out vs. not? As a Hawks fan, the Seabrook contract was a disaster before it was signed, and it was the final nail in the Hawks coffin. In this case (or AP in STL), it's especially tough when it's your captain and he plays a smart game that theoretically is going to age well.

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I can't say I blame Wilson though. How many time do those 35+ YO contracts work out vs. not? As a Hawks fan, the Seabrook contract was a disaster before it was signed. In this case (or AP in STL), it's especially tough when it's your captain and he plays a smart game that theoretically is going to age well.

Bingo.

This is a terrible move in hindsight, but was prudent in practice. Wilson couldn't have predicted that Pavelski would be the 1/1000 players that can sustain production until they're 40.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
DW biggest mistake was keeping Joe Thornton for so long.
Whut? Dude was taking pennies on the dollar to stay. DW's biggest mistake was staying loyal to Vlasic and Hertl.

Bingo.

This is a terrible move in hindsight, but was prudent in practice. Wilson couldn't have predicted that Pavelski would be the 1/1000 players that can sustain production until they're 40.
Especially since he did the same for Marleau (let him go), and Toronto ultimately had to give up a first to dump his cap hit.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
what-confused.gif

What’s next, is Ray Shero going to have second thoughts about drafting Derrick Pouliot over Filip Forsberg?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
DW biggest mistake was keeping Joe Thornton for so long.

Vlasic

Especially since he did the same for Marleau (let him go), and Toronto ultimately had to give up a first to dump his cap hit.

Except Pavelski was still consistently a 60+ point guy when he went to Dallas while Marleau was already down in the 40's when he went to Toronto. I know he had a terrible 1st year in Dallas, but it was still a huge mistake.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Vlasic

Except Pavelski was still consistently a 60+ point guy when he went to Dallas while Marleau was already down in the 40's when he went to Toronto. I know he had a terrible 1st year in Dallas, but it was still a huge mistake.
It was still a smart decision (not in hindsight), but ONLY if DW was committed to rebuilding at the time. Problem was, he wasn't.

In both instances the money was too much. Pavs was never gonna play with a Robertson or a Hintz in SJ.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I can't say I blame Wilson though. How many time do those 35+ YO contracts work out vs. not? As a Hawks fan, the Seabrook contract was a disaster before it was signed, and it was the final nail in the Hawks coffin. In this case (or AP in STL), it's especially tough when it's your captain and he plays a smart game that theoretically is going to age well.
Wait, are you talking about 29 year old FA Alex Pietrangelo? Who signed with Vegas, as a 29 year old FA coming off a Stanley Cup run?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Wait, are you talking about 29 year old FA Alex Pietrangelo? Who signed with Vegas, as a 29 year old FA coming off a Stanley Cup run?
I thought that AP was a little older than that. Regardless - he was looking for an 8 year deal to 38 YO after playing a physical game, and the back half of the deal is likely to be painful. I probably would have signed him regardless, but I can respect a GM not wanting to end up with a potential anchor for 3-4 years on the roster.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
In retrospect, of course it was.

But at the time, as a sharks fan I agreed that it was a difficult but correct choice. Who would've predicted he was going to go on to be a productive elite player for like 4 more years? That's not exactly the norm for signing guys when they're approaching the backside of their 30s.

Plus it's not like it would've saved the Sharks. They were stuck in cap hell and falling apart already. As @TheBeard says above, the issue wasn't that he let Pavelski go. it's that he did it with the expectation that the team would remain competitive for more than just a year or two instead of recognizing that the ship was already sinking.

Also that godawful Vlasic contract. That was an albatross before the ink even dried on it.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Almost everything Doug Wilson did in his final 4 years was a mistake.

Except the EK65 trade and extention. That was a steal then and it still is now.

• Haha
Reactions: OversKy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad