Dorion says Sens waived Zack Smith to send message to dressing room

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Don't see an issue with waiving a guy if he isn't good enough to be on the team.. Guy was -32 last year.

He's still on the team and back to second Center duties though . This was a pointless exercise because nobody was going to bite on Smith at this point in time. Everyone still has rosters filled with their prospects , tryout players and others . Nobody is going to take Smiths contract right now. Maybe when injuries hit later in the year but at this point ? Pointless.

The Sens want to shed salary at any cost ? Fine but don't do it like idiots and especially don't talk to the media and fans like they don't know whats going on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: iSophagus

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
live look at kanata

4da4d189ec3c0.image.jpg

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sending him to Belleville wouldn't save them any money, they were hoping someone would pick him up.

Which was never going to happen at this point in time. Rosters are filled with younger , cheaper and hopefully better options while camps are still going on. Maybe when injuries start to pile up somewhere or something but right now with all the prospects and roster hopefuls everywhere around ? No one will take a 3rd-4th Center at 3.25 Million coming off a bad year. Dallas had the same problem a couple of years back with Cody Eakin . Was taken for free in the expansion draft .

They just pissed off people for no reason. You want to get rid of Zack Smith and his contract ? Fine but do it in a smarter way .

Last edited:

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Lol...wtf message are they sending?

PD - "Better play better this year Zack or we will send you down to the minors"
ZS - "Would of been better to give me this feedback at the beginning of the offseason, but anyways. Who is going to play with the sens if i'm in the minors. Won't you have to pay another contract?"
PD - "Okay, you called my bluff. You're back on the team and playing 2C tonight. Oh yeah, and put an A on your sweater."
ZS - "uh, ok"
PD - "Haha...the Dorion does it again."

Reactions: H3ckt1k

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
If they did this because of things he and other players were saying in the room, the discontent, how was this supposed to help?

If they really assumed nobody would take him (but secretely they definitely hoped he be grabbed) what did they expect would happen?

They probably just made the room even more hostile to ownership/management. They are actively, needlessly making things worse. Creating an even less pleasant work environment.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
And I say he should get fired for pulling a stunt like that. Trading Karlsson was a big enough message, and how can I take a guy seriously to trade what he gave for Duchene and not talk to Erik Karlsson in months?

Dorion should only be given another chance if trained by the right owner; for all I know this might not be his fault, it could be Melnyk puppeteering him.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I don't think dumpster fire covers this franchise anymore. The dumpster I'd gone...Dorion and Eugene just keep trying to light the ashes on fire.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
And I say he should get fired for pulling a stunt like that. Trading Karlsson was a big enough message, and how can I take a guy seriously to trade what he gave for Duchene and not talk to Erik Karlsson in months?

Dorion should only be given another chance if trained by the right owner; for all I know this might not be his fault, it could be Melnyk puppeteering him.

Listen I love EK, he is my favourite player, has been since his rookie year and I doubt anyone comes along and changes that but he isn't innocent nor completely honest in this.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Melynk really should keep Dorion away from the media, and society in general.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
So the message is if you play like crap you won't get to play for the Sens anymore? How is that a threat of any kind?

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
Some team is going to hit the jackpot when Mark Stone inevitably gets traded away for peanuts. He must be thanking his lucky stars he only signed a 1 year extension. Makes good coin on the 1 year deal, then will have a lineup of suitors ready to trade for him and pay him big.

The Sens 3 best players in Hoffman, Karlsson and Stone will have been traded for peanuts. Duchene hits FA after this season and ZERO chance he re-signs. No 1st rounder in what's expected to be a lottery pick. Yikes.

The Sens last hope seems to be trading Duchene for a premium at/before the deadline. But given their history of bumbling big trades, it seems unlikely they get a decent return for him. But it really does seem like their last chance at redemption during all of this.

What a gong show

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Dorion drafts Tkachuk for character to stabilize the locker room then procedes to needlessly destabilize the locker room by waiving Smith.

Someone get this guy out of Ottawa, please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad