Confirmed with Link: Don Waddell Resigns not be confused with Re-Sign

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well, I have some scuttlebutt that may shed some light into the departure. It’s hearsay, literally heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy, so make of it what you will. I’m also going to be vague about it, because I don’t want to get anyone in trouble.

It’s only partially about money, and only partially about Don’s money. This was the end result of a long chain of events that started in September, an overstep by Tom in the recent months, and Waddell deciding the many hats he wore for the organization was no longer being handled equitably.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Well, I have some scuttlebutt that may shed some light into the departure. It’s hearsay, literally heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy, so make of it what you will. I’m also going to be vague about it, because I don’t want to get anyone in trouble.

It’s only partially about money, and only partially about Don’s money. This was the end result of a long chain of events that started in September, an overstep by Tom in the recent months, and Waddell deciding the many hats he wore for the organization was no longer being handled equitably.

Would it have something to do with what Rod told Adam Gold about how he and Waddell had agreed to Rod’s contract back in September but Tom was the holdup due to sticker shock on the price?

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Would it have something to do with what Rod told Adam Gold about how he and Waddell had agreed to Rod’s contract back in September but Tom was the holdup due to sticker shock on the price?

Lets just say the hubbub around Rod’s contract before Round 2 was not unfounded, but neither party involved in the negotiations up to that point was the cause.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Lets just say the hubbub around Rod’s contract before Round 2 was not unfounded, but neither party involved in the negotiations up to that point was the cause.
So mostly the Rod situation? The second part of your comment “Waddell deciding the many hats he wore for the organization was no longer being handled equitably” seemed like It was a potentially separate issue.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So mostly the Rod situation? The second part of your comment “Waddell deciding the many hats he wore for the organization was no longer being handled equitably” seemed like It was a potentially separate issue.

If the rumor is true, the Rod situation was the straw the broke the camel’s back. Remember that Waddell wasn’t just the GM. He was also the President of Hockey Ops. He was handling other things, like arena development, as well.

So put yourself in his shoes. You’re 65. You’ve got a wealth of experience doing this job. You’ve been doing the job you’re in for 10 years. The owner (allegedly) overruled your negotiations and just about threw away the best thing to happen to the franchise over the price of a new contact.

Now you’ve got to negotiate a new contract with him for yourself? I’d walk away too.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If there’s a rift here between Dundon and RBA I sure know whose side I’m on.

My concern is less about the rift between Dundon and RBA, and more about what Tulsky thinks about all this. Because I can’t imagine he’s thrilled to be in this position, if it has played out as rumored. And Tulsky might have the mind for a GM, but I don’t think he’d fit as a President of Hockey Ops. That’s less analytics, more business.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So if I had to guess here, it sounds like Don didn't want to get yanked around by Dundon on negotiations for a new contract.

I guess there was going to come a point where Dundon was going to be the root cause of someone he "values" leaving, and here we are.

Sometimes, hardball isn't the best game to play.

baconandbread

Oct 30, 2019
Don't shoot the messenger's friend of a neighbor's brother-in-law's uncle but rumour has it a rift developed when Donny Wads insisted that the renovations included a new "Turtleneck District". Dundon being so cheap said "V-necks only, the money saved from extra fabric needs to go to the assistants Rod wants to keep!" And here we are today.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

AG discusses the departure and how heavily involved TD is involved in player and staff negotiations. He says that DW started the talks as the front man but TD negotiates directly with the agents, etc.

Cory discusses Tulsky and York's role behind the scenes. Suggests Mike Foreman is being groomed to be the President.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
i don't get this idea at all. maybe i've been doing it wrong my whole career, but is it really weird someone performs their job duties while they have the job? for all we know this has been in the works for months given how it has been reported as not exactly unexpected. either way, he's just being a professional.

i get the idea you don't want to get in a situation where something crazy happens on his way out, but with the borg approach it's not like he's going to sign a koskinen deal and bounce.

i get that it is a bit of whiplash for us fans, but it happens all the time.
It's not the part about doing his job that I was referring to as weird. It's the part about going on the podcast just days before stepping down.

Of course he has to do the end of year press conference regardless, and other official duties while still employed. It was just going on the podcast I found a bit weird. Of course, it could have been schedule weeks or months in advance and Don being a good guy, didn't want to back out of it at that point.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

AG discusses the departure and how heavily involved TD is involved in player and staff negotiations. He says that DW started the talks but TD negotiates directly with the agents, etc.

“TD negotiates directly with the agents”

A modern day George Steinbrenner.

Can’t wait for the Seinfeld sequel out of Raleigh for Larry David to play TD.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
It's not the part about doing his job that I was referring to as weird. It's the part about going on the podcast just days before stepping down.

Of course he has to do the end of year press conference regardless, and other official duties while still employed. It was just going on the podcast I found a bit weird. Of course, it could have been schedule weeks or months in advance and Don being a good guy, didn't want to back out of it at that point.
Lol - i did misread it when i initially responded. Grokked it the second time around.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Unless there’s evidence that it’s a money thing, let’s not start that rumor. Lord knows there’s already enough misguided “Dundon cheap” narrative out there without this adding on to it.
It’s your choice to read and react to that, tho. Personally, it doesn’t affect me at all listening/reading to someone who says “Dundon is cheap!” We all know they have and continue to spend to the cap, while trying to exploit “inefficiencies.”

We also know that they put a value on everything, and very rarely pay over that value if it’s not on the ice.

It’s not a bad thing - but it’s definitely a thing. And one that will come up when things like this happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad