Management Don Sweeney

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
As noted repeatedly, though a fan in his playing days, I am not crazy about Don Sweeney, General Manager.

Partly because of major whiffs, trading away draft selections, and failing to build upon the core he inherited.

Largely because, evidently, "Sweenes" does not value physicality. Having argued this to death, I will subside. For now.

Mick Colageo,

YukonCornelius

Apr 13, 2018
Did he actually say that? I didn't see/hear it.
Yep.

IMG_5227.jpeg

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Jacobs' family earned 6 playoff games worth of revenue. You would think they would be fine with coughing up a few thousand to call out the league.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Lol, this moron's obsession with how he has outsmarted everyone by hoarding bottom pair Ds and bottom six forwards is in full display.

When Chara and Krug left, what did he do?
Pulled up bottom pair D to play on the 1st pair and signed more bottom pair Ds to fill up the empty spots.

When Bergy and Krejci retired, what did he do?
Again, pulled up a 3rd line center to play on the top line and signed more bottom six forwards to fill up the empty spots.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I cant believe this puddle of piss just said we dont want to go into it so we dont get fined.

WHAT? scared of a fine? just stand there and pee yourself? Thats why the bruins have been the hitee since the retool. coming straight from the f***ing top.

and again, Cam Neely the thin skin noodle cant take some questions? gotta send in your sock puppet.

Reactions: Sevendust and BTO

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Wait, I've been told that Sweeney is some kind of super genius. If that's so, maybe this is an encrypted message or triple entendre?

Cowardly statement. Shows how much he cares about the fans.
A ridiculous comment. All a Sweeney rant would do at this point is result in a fine and open the B's to the charge of being whiny babies. Practically the whole hockey community is complaining about the Bennett punch and the goalie interference. Nothing gained from Sweeney adding his voice to the mix. Anyway, the team has to turn the page immediately and focus on Tuesday night.

• Haha
Reactions: drkfluff

Babajingo

A ridiculous comment. All a Sweeney rant would do at this point is result in a fine and open the B's to the charge of being whiny babies. Practically the whole hockey community is complaining about the Bennett punch and the goalie interference. Nothing gained from Sweeney adding his voice to the mix. Anyway, the team has to turn the page immediately and focus on Tuesday night.
Thanks for the constructive criticism :)
Not saying he needed to go into full rant mode. If he just said something like "Thats a league issue, bring it up with them" It would've sounded better than whining about being asked questions and saying the reason he won't say anything is because of $$.

• Love
Reactions: BMC

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

He just held a mid series press conference to complain to the media.

I’d say the whiny baby part is already well established.

How many other GMs do you remember holding mid series press conferences like this?

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Lol, this moron's obsession with how he has outsmarted everyone by hoarding bottom pair Ds and bottom six forwards is in full display.

Pulled up bottom pair D to play on the 1st pair and signed more bottom pair Ds to fill up the empty spots.

Again, pulled up a 3rd line center to play on the top line and signed more bottom six forwards to fill up the empty spots.
You forgot the trade for Lindholm, the Ullmark signing, and the reality of the salary cap. How would you have solved the top-line center problem? Especially after trading away all those draft picks for various playoff runs? You probably would have flipped out if Sweeney had announced the team would become sellers for a couple of years and rebuild, the way the Rangers did. Somehow, the B's under Sweeney have regained their status as one of the league's most competitive and esteemed franchises, even though they haven't had a top-ten draft pick for more than a decade.

Babajingo

I cant believe this puddle of piss just said we dont want to go into it so we dont get fined.

WHAT? scared of a fine? just stand there and pee yourself? Thats why the bruins have been the hitee since the retool. coming straight from the f***ing top.

and again, Cam Neely the thin skin noodle cant take some questions? gotta send in your sock puppet.
Remember when the whole Mitchell thing happened. The two idiots went cowering in some bunker somewhere and had Bergeron smooth things over. Then Cam got pissed at the media for asking questions.

Sounds familiar. I imagine wont hear anything more from them until the draft and thankfully for them, their first pick is in round 67.

Reactions: BMC

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)

Lol that's beautiful.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
As long as tickets are sold, this man has a job. Nothing else matters. No comments. No wins. No Cup. No 'history' of the Bruins. No Centennial (unless it's to sell merch $$$).

This team is all about the money and NOTHING else.

I just watched an owner take the STH and fans for granted and then when the seats in Vancouver started to empty and I was weekly getting texts 'want tickets for tonights game?' because no one wanted to go. It took that for the team to turn it around...after nine years of putting a crappy product on the ice and reaping the benefits.

I'd imagine this franchise will milk the fans for 5 years.

Reactions: BMC and ProdigalFan

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

I really think everyone should watch the whole thing before forming an opinion from small snippets. The thing about not criticizing the officiating was just the preface.

The point he makes is a good one: It's bullshit that the league has created an environment in which coaches, players and GMs constantly have to answer questions about the terrible officiating. The officials. DoPs, etc should get in front of a microphone and answer these questions instead of hiding behind half-assed press releases.

As a fan I'd love to see one of these guys (Sweeney, Neely) rip the league for this shit, but I think deep down we all know it won't matter because the NHL will let a player die on the ice before they'll admit any wrongdoing.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I know supposedly Bettman called that meeting for GMs and coaches in September promising scorched earth against anyone who criticized the refs to the media, but this is particularly sad. Why did Sweeney even call the press conference if he's just going to say nothing and carry the league's water again, no matter how many times he's witnessed the league screw him over. Classic battered wife syndrome.

Reactions: CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad