Speculation: Don Sweeney at Oilers/Flames game

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
This is such a sad myth clung to.

Chiarelli could have offered more.

The story was that Sweeney wouldn't accept any offer from Edmonton that didn't include Nurse but was willing to accept picks from Calgary. The reason might have been because Sweeney blamed Chiarelli for the whole situation because he thought Chia was planning to offer sheet Hamilton. I agree that it doesn't mean they couldn't or shouldn't deal with each other now. They're both professionals and there has been a lot of water under the bridge since then.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Im on the fence. It took many years for the Bs to find a PMD.
It could be a case of filling one hole ( top 6) and creating another (PMD).
Wild card is what will Krug cost for next contract?
Probably similar contract but what will Bruins Defenseman landscape look like 16 months from now and how will expansion factor in.

If I had to guess he’s playing somewhere else in October 2020 I’ll go with hometown Red Wings

Reactions: TCB

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
The Oilers offense would be disgusting if they traded RNH for Krug. No way they do that.

Krug is scoring at a better clip than RNH the past three years... As a defenseman. 0.72 PPG vs 0.67. In fact, Krug has 91 points in his last 113 NHL games played. Doesn't get enough credit for being an offensive game changer from the back end. Also seems to get better each year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
remember how the Bruins couldn't get the puck out of their own end against Tampa once Krug went down?

yeah lets not go down that road again. I'm not even the biggest Krug fan but he is so underrated

and Bruins fans for some reason have a hard-on for big physical players, yet when we get them we complain that they're too slow/not scoring enough :laugh:

The question with Krug is will Boston re-sign him, if not then he should be available at some point.

But at that point they'd need to have a replacement in mind.

Krug is scoring at a better clip than RNH the past three years... As a defenseman. 0.72 PPG vs 0.67. In fact, Krug has 91 points in his last 113 NHL games played. Doesn't get enough credit for being an offensive game changer from the back end. Also seems to get better each year.

But he's not a forward.

Without RNH it's all McDavid& Drai, no team goes anywhere with F group like that.

It isn't equal value if you know the picks you get in one deal are higher.

Edmonton had the 16th pick, Calgary top15.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Which part is the myth?

It’s stated like taking a higher 1st instead of higher 2nds is some crazy insult. In reality, it’s negotiating 101. The Bruins loved Nurse. They had another deal lined up that was basically the same as the one EDM was offering. They could afford to hold firm and hope the Oilers caved. In reality, the Oilers probably should have caved.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
It's so funny to see how Neal is talked about in this thread. I can't believe he didn't take whatever money Vegas offered and stick with a good thing. Right now it looks like he will end up on the next expansion team in Seattle soon enough. Poor guy.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Why would Seattle take him. They will have better options to pick from Calgary for sure.
Calgary would have to pull a florida or minnesota to get them to take Neal.
I'm sure flames fans would agree.
It's so funny to see how Neal is talked about in this thread. I can't believe he didn't take whatever money Vegas offered and stick with a good thing. Right now it looks like he will end up on the next expansion team in Seattle soon enough. Poor guy.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Chara is a big maybe, because he and Chia had a good relationship, but from what I understand Chara has his roots in Boston now.

But Krug could be a possibility.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
out of curiosity for all you oilers fans out there. do you prefer nurse or klefbom?

It has varied between seasons. At their best its damn close but slight edge to Klef because he's had better production offensively than Darnell, but at his best Darnell was terrifying rushing the puck with his skating/size, which is something that we lack other than McDavid and RNH.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Why would Seattle take him. They will have better options to pick from Calgary for sure.
Calgary would have to pull a florida or minnesota to get them to take Neal.
I'm sure flames fans would agree.

Yeah going to lose a good young D most likely unless we pay them off. Only scenario this maybe happens is if he turns it around and Seattle decides they want a guy that’s been through the expansion process before, but I highly doubt that. Might lose Gio as well assuming he eventually regresses

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I would do Nurse for Krug but there is no way I add Pulju. I want to see what a coach other than Mclellan can do with him.
I think the value is pretty even. Nurse is 4 years younger and cost controlled. Krug has one year remaining after this and is likely going to command 7-8m longterm and thats IF he chooses to stay in Edmonton. We havent done well with an American star player since Doug Weight (iirc).

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
out of curiosity for all you oilers fans out there. do you prefer nurse or klefbom?

Klefbom when healthy is a star dman.
Nurse is inconsistent still but has all the tools to be a beast. We are excited to have Trent Yawney and Hitch coaching him, both really smart guys he can hopefully learn a lot from.

Reactions: dreamcomehere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad