In Memoriam Don McKenney - former Bruins Captain

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

BOSTON - Former Bruins captain Don McKenney passed away over the weekend at the age of 88. The Ontario native played for the Bruins from 1954-63 and served as the club's captain for his final two seasons with the Black & Gold.
McKenney debuted with the Bruins in 1954 and went on to tie Leo Labine for the team lead in scoring that season with 42 points (22 goals, 20 assists), while finishing second in the Calder Trophy voting for Rookie of the Year.
He led the team in scoring three more times and notched 20 or more goals in seven of his nine seasons with the club, recording a career-high 32 in 1958-59. The following season, McKenney posted a career-high 69 points and led the league with 49 assists, while also being named to the NHL's Third All-Star Team.
McKenney, known as a well-respected defensive forward, won the Lady Byng Trophy for Most Gentlemanly Player in 1959-60 and finished in the top four of the voting in six consecutive seasons from 1956-62.
In 1961, McKenney was named the club's 10th captain following the retirement of Fern Flaman. Overall, he played 592 games with Boston, collecting 195 goals (21st in Bruins history), 267 assists (23rd), and 462 points (22nd).
He was traded to the New York Rangers in 1962 and spent two seasons with the Blue Shirts, before finishing his career with stints in Toronto, Detroit, and St. Louis.
For his career, McKenney had 237 goals, 345 assists, and 582 points in 798 games across 13 NHL seasons.
Following his playing career, McKenney joined Flaman's staff as an assistant coach for the Northeastern University men's hockey team, a position he held for roughly two decades, before being elevated to head coach from 1989-91.
McKenney was inducted into the Northeastern Hall of Fame in 1999. He later went on to scout for the Colorado Avalanche.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Don and Arthur Valicenti from Thayer ran the hockey school I attended every summer as a kid. He was one of the nicest men I've ever met, and forgot more about hockey than most ever know.

RIP, my friend.

aguineapig

Don McKenney was my first Boston Bruin hero. Back then sports were followed mainly on the radio and in the newspapers and his name was featured frequently in both. A Sunday afternoon TV broadcast would sneak in on occasion and was a window into a magical world albeit in black and white. He was the Rick Middleton of the day to me. He may not have known it, but He and I spent many an afternoon on a frozen patch of ice in the backyard in a hand me down pair of skates that were two sizes too big with newspaper stuffed in them with three pairs of socks on. But as I raced around the ice on bent ankles I pretended I was Don McKenney to the roar of the crowd. Don McKenney played the game and lived his life the right way, the Bruin way and I will not forget him. And our afternoons in the frozen backyard.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

BOSTON - Former Bruins captain Don McKenney passed away over the weekend at the age of 88. The Ontario native played for the Bruins from 1954-63 and served as the club's captain for his final two seasons with the Black & Gold.
McKenney debuted with the Bruins in 1954 and went on to tie Leo Labine for the team lead in scoring that season with 42 points (22 goals, 20 assists), while finishing second in the Calder Trophy voting for Rookie of the Year.
He led the team in scoring three more times and notched 20 or more goals in seven of his nine seasons with the club, recording a career-high 32 in 1958-59. The following season, McKenney posted a career-high 69 points and led the league with 49 assists, while also being named to the NHL's Third All-Star Team.
McKenney, known as a well-respected defensive forward, won the Lady Byng Trophy for Most Gentlemanly Player in 1959-60 and finished in the top four of the voting in six consecutive seasons from 1956-62.
In 1961, McKenney was named the club's 10th captain following the retirement of Fern Flaman. Overall, he played 592 games with Boston, collecting 195 goals (21st in Bruins history), 267 assists (23rd), and 462 points (22nd).
He was traded to the New York Rangers in 1962 and spent two seasons with the Blue Shirts, before finishing his career with stints in Toronto, Detroit, and St. Louis.
For his career, McKenney had 237 goals, 345 assists, and 582 points in 798 games across 13 NHL seasons.
Following his playing career, McKenney joined Flaman's staff as an assistant coach for the Northeastern University men's hockey team, a position he held for roughly two decades, before being elevated to head coach from 1989-91.
McKenney was inducted into the Northeastern Hall of Fame in 1999. He later went on to scout for the Colorado Avalanche.

A name from the distant past. Don McKenney played for the Red Wings when I was a kid.

As much of a B's history & lore fiend as I am, I was completely unaware of an illustrious career with Boston, *and* that McKenney went on to become Fern Flaman's assistant coach at my alma mater.

I also had no idea that Flaman was so successful @ NU!

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Thanks for posting. In all of my years as a Bruins fan, I don't recall hearing his name, although I'm not familiar with the teams from the '50s and '60s. Sounds like he was a great player. RIP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad