Don Cherry

Do you miss Don Cherry?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I miss the Don Cherry who had endless praise for Steve Yzerman and Bob Probert.

I do not miss the xenophobic Don Cherry who hated the influx of European players.
I don't think there is anything xenophobic there. I simply think he didn't like the hockey style they played and I completely agree with him.
I am not a big fan of staged fights, I thought Laroque was the most boring and pathetic wrestler in the league. He was considered the best fighter. But I like when 2 players in the heat of the game get enough of one another and decide to go.
I never understood why people wanted hockey to be a part of fighting. Fighting is part of hockey, not the other way around.
I don't like woke, and I don't like it is pushed on us everywhere.
So if I have to pick between Cherry and woke, definitely Cherry.

Reactions: Comet91 and gbdet

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Yes, hnic hasnt been half as entertaining since he left. I find everybody very boring. Though I do like Elliott.

But I agree Don wasnt at the top of his game his last couple years it's just sad the way they forced him out was very pathetic.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
No. And I don't even really think he should have gotten cancelled either. The game just outgrew him 20 years ago and he has zero concept of what modern hockey is.

Also in Canada, no one actually talks about Don Cherry from a hockey context anymore...so I have my doubts as to how many people in Canada actually miss his hockey insight. The only time I ever hear or read his name up here anymore with regard to cringey partisan political grandstanding from either side. Doesn't seem like it's entirely the same thing with respect to Americans given the comments here, which is good I guess.

Last edited:

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I'm reading a book by Chuck Klosterman called "But What if We're Wrong?: Thinking About the Present as if it Were the Past." It's not political in nature, but reading it, I'm still astounded at the willingness of people to support things that will be viewed in the future as "WTF were we thinking?" And there's definitely way more xenophobia out there these days, and if you don't think so, you're either lying or blind. I don't want to look back at myself in 20 years and think, "I freaking supported that?!" While there was a time in my life that I looked forward to watching him, I do not miss Don Cherry. Not at all.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
There comes a time where every entertaining, loudmouth grandpa starts to embarrass themselves.

Don was always on the accelerated path to Abe Simpson, out of touch geezer yelling at clouds. But damn I never get tired of those stories about the onions on the belt, which was the style at the time.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Yes. He was past expiry but growing up he was the voice of hockey nights in my house. His rants were entertaining and sure he had some controversy but he came from a different era.. comes with the territory.

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
Wait, only those in or were in the military can support it?

So...if you're not a scientist dont you dare support science...

As a vet...that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard
No, it means quite often the biggest loudmouths who constantly go on about how much they love the troops and support every war never sign up to join and neither do their families.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No, it means quite often the biggest loudmouths who constantly go on about how much they love the troops and support every war never sign up to join and neither do their families.
Just cause someone supports the military dosent mean they must serve...nor their family...I support science but do not work in that field...

This is one if rhe dumbest false equivalencies I have ever read..

jaster

Future Inconsiderations
Jun 8, 2007
There comes a time where every entertaining, loudmouth grandpa starts to embarrass themselves.

Don was always on the accelerated path to Abe Simpson, out of touch geezer yelling at clouds. But damn I never get tired of those stories about the onions on the belt, which was the style at the time.
Don always preferred the white onions, but they were always off at war.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad