Don Cherry & the Coach's Corner | 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
So I watch a lot of hockey, but in America I don't get any HNIC. This is one of maybe 6 or 8 Don Cherry takes I've ever heard. So is this guy like the Colin Cowherd for Canadians? What's his deal?

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
So I watch a lot of hockey, but in America I don't get any HNIC. This is one of maybe 6 or 8 Don Cherry takes I've ever heard. So is this guy like the Colin Cowherd for Canadians? What's his deal?

I dont know who Colin Cowherd is, but Don Cherry is a very old school hockey guy. His guys play hockey “the Canadian way” you dont showboat, no over the top celebrations, and you show up to the game looking your best. Its a very dated approach, think of guys like Toews if your trying to picture a cherry player. Anyone who seems to have a bit too much fun on the ice or shows any personality will usually draw fire from him.

Reactions: sfvega

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I dont know who Colin Cowherd is, but Don Cherry is a very old school hockey guy. His guys play hockey “the Canadian way” you dont showboat, no over the top celebrations, and you show up to the game looking your best. Its a very dated approach, think of guys like Toews if your trying to picture a cherry player. Anyone who seems to have a bit too much fun on the ice or shows any personality will usually draw fire from him.

FYI...Cowherd is kind of like Cherry in the sense that he likes to say over the top and sometimes controversial things to get a response (and ratings). He's not like Cherry in that he's 100% been a sports radio host and not a cultural Icon like Cherry is.

Bring Bak Damphousse

May 27, 2002
Canada
Yeah, no it's an opinion. There's no right or wrong. I happen to agree with it, even though I wouldn't call them jerks but more infantile morons. If you enjoy this kind of stuff watch professional wrestling.

I'm all for personality, but this Fortnite type of generation is a whole new cringe. Next we'll have Bronies on the ice fornicating with unicorns.

Fans in more traditional markets may not see the appeal in a sideshow like the canes are putting on, but Carolina isnt a traditional market, if at the end of the day the fans enjoy it than great, they only do it after wins, after the other teams left the ice. Only cherry and his disciples could make something this innocent into a negative.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Fans in more traditional markets may not see the appeal in a sideshow like the canes are putting on, but Carolina isnt a traditional market, if at the end of the day the fans enjoy it than great, they only do it after wins, after the other teams left the ice. Only cherry and his disciples could make something this innocent into a negative.

Except that you aren't allowed to express your opinion around here saying that you don't like it. I've said in several responses, "if you like it, good on you, enjoy it", that's it. To me it's a clown show and far from entertaining. It's like saying "I don't really watch cartoons anymore, I feel it's too childish and I've grown out of it" and you then get personally attacked for it.

Do we all have to like it?

Reactions: DuckyChuck

Bring Bak Damphousse

May 27, 2002
Canada
If you enjoy this kind of stuff watch professional wrestling.

this Fortnite type of generation is a whole new cringe. Next we'll have Bronies on the ice fornicating with unicorns.

and you then get personally attacked for it.

Yeah feel free to not like it, try not to take jabs at people who do, and than claim the moral high ground when you get a reaction.

Reactions: AHall88

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Yeah feel free to not like it, try not to take jabs at people who do, and than claim the moral high ground when you get a reaction.

I'm glad you decided to leave out the comment I responded to which called those who hold this opinion as "stupid".

You attack me personally I'll return the favor on a personal level.

Thank you for playing though.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Except that you aren't allowed to express your opinion around here saying that you don't like it. I've said in several responses, "if you like it, good on you, enjoy it", that's it. To me it's a clown show and far from entertaining. It's like saying "I don't really watch cartoons anymore, I feel it's too childish and I've grown out of it" and you then get personally attacked for it.

Do we all have to like it?
Welcome to the late-2010s. Diverse and moderate opinions are not allowed.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
LOL, what moderate opinions? There's nobody expressing a moderate opinion against it. It's all "infantile clown show" this, and "embarrassment to the game" that.

These aren't moderate opinions, they're just stupid hot taeks with strong language designed to provoke a reaction. It's the equivalent of the "I'm not touching you" crap kids do to each other when they are trying to get each other's goat, skirting the boundaries of the rules. It's pathetic. You might even call it "cringey"

Last edited:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
LOL, what moderate opinions? There's nobody expressing a moderate opinion against it. It's all "infantile clown show" this, and "embarrassment to the game" that.

These aren't moderate opinions, they're just stupid hot taeks with strong language designed to provoke a reaction. It's the equivalent of the "I'm not touching you" crap kids do to each other when they are trying to get each other's goat, skirting the boundaries of the rules. It's pathetic. You might even call it "cringey"

Pretty sure the vast majority of the opinions against it are of the moderate variety. "its dumb, but whatever" is way more common than the Cherry thing. Its just the fact that the people who are violently against it are much louder about their opinion because they care more.

Sep 18, 2009

Cherry is funny but the haters are even funnier

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Pretty sure the vast majority of the opinions against it are of the moderate variety. "its dumb, but whatever" is way more common than the Cherry thing. Its just the fact that the people who are violently against it are much louder about their opinion because they care more.

Yeah, I meant that at this point in the conversation the moderate opinions are few and far between. Also note that nobody really has a beef with them, either. It's only when the hot taeks and barbs get included that you see a response. (guilty as charged, myself)

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Dinosaur Don's rant made the B block of Highly Questionable the other day. As expected they completely buried this buffoon.

All while pointing out the hypocrisy as he resembled a Sorcerer from Harry Potter :laugh:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
What's "Highly Questionable"?

Also, not surprising that at an attention-grabbing dinosaur's rant about some attention-grabbing cellies, might come across as somewhat hypocritical. :laugh:

Don Cherry has been our very own "Sports Liberace" for decades now.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville

He’s more like John Madden for Canadians, except John Madden retired and Don Cherry is still going. He’s an old school Canadian legend of epic proportions. EA’s NHL video game series should be called Cherry NHL.

Calling the Canes a bunch of jerks was funny and just boosted their visibilty and got hockey fans around the world buzzing over him. It’s hilarious the amount of exposure the Canes and himself just got from that take.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
He’s more like John Madden for Canadians, except John Madden retired and Don Cherry is still going. He’s an old school Canadian legend of epic proportions. EA’s NHL video game series should be called Cherry NHL.

Calling the Canes a bunch of jerks was funny and just boosted their visibilty and got hockey fans around the world buzzing over him. It’s hilarious the amount of exposure the Canes and himself just got from that take.

I mean, that does sound an awful lot like he's in the intentionally provocative hot take business, ala Cowherd.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
I mean, that does sound an awful lot like he's in the intentionally provocative hot take business, ala Cowherd.

Who the F listens to Cowherd, he’s a nobody.

Cherry is a former coach of the Boston Bruins who became a Canadian hockey tv legend. His HNIC segments are must watch tv. John Madden was the former head coach of the Oakland Raiders who became an American football tv legend. NFL games called by Madden where must watch tv.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015

Cherry is a former coach of the Boston Bruins who became a Canadian hockey tv legend. His HNIC segments are must watch tv. John Madden was the former head coach of the Oakland Raiders who became an American football tv legend. NFL games called by Madden where must watch tv.

I mean, Madden actually called games and was pretty good at it until he got on and just pointed out the obvious. He wasn't really in the hot take business.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI

I love Colin, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad