Does Weise have top 6 potential?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Good points, but Weise has always been a player who produced a lot with less ice time historically. This was true in Vancouver as well.

I don't claim to know better.. but I believe that Weise has underestimated offensive potential in the eyes of NHL people.. for whatever reason...

Good news is that MT is giving him room to express his talent and it seems to be working.

It's a common fallacy to watch a hard-working player produce, and fancy that if he continues to work harder, he'll certainly produce more. And if you give him more ice time/opportunity, his production will proportionately increase too, right?

Doesn't always work that way. He simply doesn't have the talent to be anything more than a 3rd piece added to a top 6 line for his energy and reliability on his best days. Combine those two points from the previously quoted post with what someone said earlier about diminishing returns with promotion, and I'm content with him being productive in exactly the role he finds himself in, because he's really not "designed" for much more.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
ThereWillBeBlood_M.jpg

The Habs movie posters (on Facebook, and on canadiens.com)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Dale Weise is in his absolute peak right now.It's probably his greatest days as a NHL player.I enjoy watching him, but I also enjoyed watching Travis Moen 3-5 years ago when he was very good for his role.I haven't forgotten it, but it appears many people did.The same will happen to Weise, people will forget how great he was for a role player at his best.

The possible exception in recent years to the short-term memory of the fanbase concerning role players is Steve Begin.Most people remember him from his best days, but maybe it lasted longer and that's why.That and the fact he's just a very likeable local.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Dale Weise is in his absolute peak right now.It's probably his greatest days as a NHL player.I enjoy watching him, but I also enjoyed watching Travis Moen 3-5 years ago when he was very good for his role.I haven't forgotten it, but it appears many people did.The same will happen to Weise, people will forget how great he was for a role player at his best.

The possible exception in recent years to the short-term memory of the fanbase concerning role players is Steve Begin.Most people remember him from his best days, but maybe it lasted longer and that's why.That and the fact he's just a very likeable local.

Maybe, this is how I see it, but it may very well be that Weise is just a late bloomer. Or maybe he's just Darche and 2009-2010 Moen all over again, we'll see. He's definitely exceeded everyone's expectations. I don't think many could have predicted this (though, I remember Grant suggesting the possibility since Weise was good offensively in the AHL).

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
He may not be a permanent first line RW but he's certainly more than a 4th liner like many in this thread were saying.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I think he's a great 3rd liner.

Right now he's earned a spot on the top line, I don't see it as a long-term soloution however.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Best case scenario I can see is one where Weise is a late bloomer that ends up being a very good 3rd line player, kind of like Joel Ward. I think there's a parallel to be made there.

Still, he's a guy with very specific abilities. Like I told my friend the other day; with 25 teams in this league, he's a 12th/13th forward. But sometimes, when the fit is great, some players can exceed their actual potential, based on the style and system of certain teams. I feel like Weise is one of those players who fits exceptionally well on a team like ours.

The scouting staff and head office did a great job getting this guy. Especially unloading the team's biggest joke of the decade in the process.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
No, he's not a top line player. However, he makes himself noticed against the Bruins. The more their fans hate him, the better he must be doing. But hey, they're too particular. Does it really matter if they're beaten by Dale Weise or Max Pacioretty? Either way, it shows up in the standings (and in Tuukka's 3-13-3 record). The Habs don't care about the 3-13-3 but are grateful for the 8-point donation.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Especially unloading the team's biggest joke of the decade in the process.

Considering the range of players from Ivanans and Laraque (fax jokes alone) to Sopel and Allen, methinks you're too unfamiliar with the past decade of Habs hockey to be making such a statement.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'm not one to label players as first or fourth liners. Sometimes players just click really well with others due to their skill sets and positioning. I think Weise's ability to retrieve the puck with his speed, strength and determination compliment's Patches ability to get open and shoot. Max is pretty soft and is not the best at battling for the puck so by bringing in Weise, it helps offset some of Patches' weakness'. Now I know I'm gonna get flak for saying this but Desharnais brings playmaking abilty to the line and he likes to screen the goalie. This makes the line very dynamic as you have three very different players with different skillsets working together

This is how I see it anyways. If Weise were on a different line, I really don't think he would be nearly as effective but it seems we found a role for him that he excels in and makes the players around him more effective.

Oh and don't even talk about Darche please. That guy had no skill set. Just stand in front of the goalie. At least Weiss is fast and has some skill.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Considering the range of players from Ivanans and Laraque (fax jokes alone) to Sopel and Allen, methinks you're too unfamiliar with the past decade of Habs hockey to be making such a statement.

I'm not talking in terms of worst players. I'm talking about players who were a shame to watch. In my mind, Diaz was a God damn shame on skates. You could feel the fear in him from the last row in the building. He almost got Eller killed with his stupid "hot-potato" passes when pressure was coming.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Maybe, this is how I see it, but it may very well be that Weise is just a late bloomer. Or maybe he's just Darche and 2009-2010 Moen all over again, we'll see. He's definitely exceeded everyone's expectations. I don't think many could have predicted this (though, I remember Grant suggesting the possibility since Weise was good offensively in the AHL).

I don't understand how people think Dale Weise has no skills...he can play, he's got good size, he can skate, good hands and decent hockey sense.

Is he a natural goal scorer? No, that much is obvious.

But I don't agree with the comparisons to Moen or Darche, two guys who had little to no offensive touch at all and any success they had was through pure hard work. Weise does have some natural offensive ability. As a complimentary player on a line, I can see this guy being a perennial 12-15 goal scorer.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Yeah, me too. If you're going to hate, put your back into it, that's all. You've obviously forgotten a lot of names from the past decade.

I hated Garth Murray. I hated, HATED Mike Blunden. But Diaz was on a whole other level as far as I'm concerned. It's all subjective though. But from my point of view, he embodied everything that went wrong with this team for far too long.

Habs12max

Mar 6, 2008
Top 6. Brings size, intensity and speed . If gallagher is top 6, Weise is top 6 . Look at the top 6 of each teams around the league...

BTW, he is only 26 years old . 0

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think fans/media tend to waste too much time getting caught up in labels for players ( (i.e. top 6 vs. bottom 6).

There are many team who have players who aren't traditionally considered 'top 6' forwards playing in a 'top 6 role'. It's really not all that uncommon.

I don't think there's a single NHL team who have 6 legit top 6 forwards. The salary cap makes this almost entirely impossible to achieve.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I hated Garth Murray. I hated, HATED Mike Blunden. But Diaz was on a whole other level as far as I'm concerned.

Just 'wow' is all I can come up with to that.

It's all subjective though. But from my point of view, he embodied everything that went wrong with this team for far too long.

Diaz being moved up to a top 4 defenseman role pales in comparison to using Desharnais in a top line role, imo, but whatever I guess. The list is longer than that, though, and your priorities have to be warped to think that anything Diaz did while a Hab embodied or affected anything grandiose enough to comment on (again, especially considering the past 10 years that we have to look back on).

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I highly doubt it. He is playing well right now and putting up a few points which is nice to see. If he could turn into a solid 3rd liner that puts in a dozen or so goals and 35 points a season I would be happy.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
No one thought Pascal Dupuis would wind up being a perennial point producer either.

I'm not saying it'll happen in our case, but you never know.

Campoli was...still worse than those guys.

Don't forget Paul Mara part deux.

LeHaboholique

Respek is earn, not give to!
Jul 25, 2012
Same
No one thought Pascal Dupuis would wind up being a perennial point producer either.

I'm not saying it'll happen in our case, but you never know.

Campoli was...still worse than those guys.

Don't forget Paul Mara part deux.

Every time someone brings up Campoli, I almost literally gag.

To the point though, Weise is in my opinion the 6'2(?) version of Gallagher for that line. I'm not saying he is as good or anything but he brings some speed grittiness to open up space Gallagher just can't.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
In a normal world Weise is a good, solid 3rd line winger who chips in goals / points. Also in a normal world Sekac is a top 6 forward, Galchenyuk a top line center, etc.

I'd imagine these things will happen one day (hopefully with a normal coach). But in the meantime we're winning so let's enjoy that.

MaxPac - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Scherback - Plek - Sekac
Hudon/Andrighetto - Eller - Weise
Prust and whomever else.

That could be next season (switch Scherback and Sekac if needed).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad