Does Toronto make it past the second round within the next two seasons?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does Toronto make it past the second round within the next two seasons?

• Yes

Votes: 47 28.7%
  • No

Votes: 117 71.3%

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’d bet against it this year as I don’t think they really improved and goaltending is still a big question mark.
Can’t really predict the year after that until we see the moves they make and whether they can fill some holes.
I didn’t vote.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
No. The team is flawed at a fundamental level. Many knew this in 2018, everyone knew this in 2021. The Leafs are not a hockey team. They are a boy band that functions to sell merchandise and create the next generation of season ticket holders, and making the playoffs. Actually winning the Stanley Cup is way down on the list. Right now the plan is to continue to sell tickets to yuppies so they can brag to their yuppy peers and post on Instagram. The final destination is retiring the jerseys of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Rielly having played zero games of consequence and permanently scarring the Leafs franchise forever in so that the current regime can self-aggrandizingly claim they built a dynasty. Sadly, the dynasty only exists in the minds of the people that run the team and in minds of the "hardest market in the league".

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
No. The team is flawed at a fundamental level. Many knew this in 2018, everyone knew this in 2021. The Leafs are not a hockey team. They are a boy band that functions to sell merchandise and create the next generation of season ticket holders, and making the playoffs. Actually winning the Stanley Cup is way down on the list. Right now the plan is to continue to sell tickets to yuppies so they can brag to their yuppy peers and post on Instagram. The final destination is retiring the jerseys of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Rielly having played zero games of consequence and permanently scarring the Leafs franchise forever in so that the current regime can self-aggrandizingly claim they built a dynasty. Sadly, the dynasty only exists in the minds of the people that run the team and in minds of the "hardest market in the league".

Old man yells at cloud energy.

If Matthews and Marner continue to play at a high level, the leafs will be contending. Ultimately, it comes down to them to push through the playoffs (and Nylander since he just got paid all the money).

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
This season, nope. But the following season is more of a question mark if Marner and Tavares are replaced and the team is rebalanced, there's a chance they may finally break through then, but not this year imo.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010

If Matthews and Marner continue to play at a high level, the leafs will be contending. Ultimately, it comes down to them to push through the playoffs (and Nylander since he just got paid all the money).

Good point. They just need to perform in the playoffs. Thank you for the insight.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I said no for this year but next year is too far away to tell.

Realistically so many teams are capable of winning 2 rounds.

Reactions: wetcoast

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024

True but I lol’ed at the boy band comment.

There’s something about this core that screams “I’d rather shop for hats and fur coats than win a championship”. Every year I keep thinking they’re going to break through but they keep proving me wrong, and I’m starting to wonder if it’s just attitude. Anyway now that I’ve said that, watch them waltz into the final against Edmonton (like I predicted last year).

Reactions: danny90

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

I mean, that's the problem. They haven't been playing at a high enough level in the playoffs. That's the whole point. You have McDavid who just these past playoffs came within a handful of points of Matthews and Marner's career total in the playoffs. And he did it in one. They need to be way, way better.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
They will get to a conference finals in the near future but I don’t see them going any further unfortunately.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I have a hard time seeing them beat the panthers in a 7 game series at this point, which they'll need to do if they want to win 2 rounds.

Reactions: bert

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
if its a betting thing, it depends on the odds. If its only a +500 no way I take that bet but if its like +2000 then for sure I take that bet

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
They will get to a conference finals in the near future but I don’t see them going any further unfortunately.
Based on what?

The Leafs have shown absolutely nothing to suggest they are going to be in the final 4 in the "near future"

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad