Does the Florida Panthers have what it takes to repeat next year?

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
The 4th line has been replaced with arguably a better 4th line. OEL played on the third pairing he wasn't much of a factor overall and not a core player. Montour was coming off an injury the year before and had maybe his worst season as a Panther. We didn't lose any of the core players. We do have a need in the middle pair for a RD which hopefully will be addressed at some point.

A better metric would be the other teams improving, in that case we haven't seen much improvement from other teams other than some lateral moves. I'd say the Panthers are in mostly the same position they were a year before just with more experience.

The biggest reason they won was Bob, and he’s still there, so I wouldn’t be shocked if they did

Other than in Game 1 Bob was about above average for the rest of the series. We won because we had an elite forechecking style and the players to execute it correctly. Bob is obviously a key component but in no way shape or form is the team "carried" by him. It's not a Carey Price situation not sure why people think that looking at the elite roster the Panthers have been fielding.

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
The Panthers have been one of the best teams in the league the past 4 years, kept their top 6 forward group and starting goalie, while losing their much loved but very replaceable 4th liners and a 2nd and 3rd pairing dman. Nate Schmidt will bounce back because that's what Florida does so they lost their 4th line and 1 dman. They're still the East favorites.

If you disagree with the above, who got better? Canes got way worse, Florida stomped the Bruins and Rangers, the only reason those series' were even close were because of their goalies, did they do anything to improve? Bruins got Lindholm but lost Debrusk, is Zadorov going to close the gap enough? Do the Rangers still employ Florida's best player Trouba? Should any team be scared of Toronto in the playoffs?

Even if you think Florida's worse, who knocks them out from the East this year? West is a thunderdome vs East.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's not easy. They went far the year before as well. I'd say it's the wear and tear of that over time that slows them down more than anything. They still have a elite team that can go far. It's just whether they got the energy and health at that time if they can get that and a little of the puck luck that goes into going far then I think they can. It's just a lot of what ifs every time anyone wins one no matter who that is. I'd say no but my tampa team went to the finals 3 times in a row, I'd say fl has the recipe to go but it's easier said than done.

Reactions: Hint1k and vshun

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
They'll need a lot of rest throughout the year, otherwise they run out of gas before the finals.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
It is almost impossible to get into the cup finals 2 years in a row, much less 3. They also lost some significant depth this off season.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Montour had his worst season as a Panther and most of us didnt want to give him a long contract and very happy he’s gone and not paid 7x7

Reactions: PaulD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad