Does Rob Blake trade our 1st round pick for a Goalie?

Does Blake trade our 1st rounder for a netminder?

• No he’s really not as bad as you guys say.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Yes he trades for a top notch goalie

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Yes he trades for a marginal goaltender with warts but Luc talks about his upside!

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • No and he’s is as bad as we say!

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
When was the last time a 1st got traded for a goalie? Seems pretty rare.

I think they sign two cheap veteran UFA's again. And let Portillo compete for the #2 spot in camp.

The dream scenario is PLD gets dumped for a goalie.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
No way. These fools are shook. The press conferences have been progressively unhinged. Coach is safe, coach is gone, everyone is disappointed.

They bank some goodwill by keeping the first pick and focus on dumpster diving to save their jobs.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
ok, i'm likely very much a goalie idiot. But is Saros really THAT good of a goalie? I've never been that impressed with him at all. Why the love for him around the league? He certainly isn't "goalie-ing" the Peds through the SCup playoffs -- nor has he ever in past years. I don't think he's even won one signle series ever before (don't quote me on that though). Wait -- maybe that makes him a perfect Blake acquisition ;)

Also, I personally don't like "small" goalies -- so that could also be impacting my lack of affinity for Saros.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
ok, i'm likely very much a goalie idiot. But is Saros really THAT good of a goalie? I've never been that impressed with him at all. Why the love for him around the league? He certainly isn't "goalie-ing" the Peds through the SCup playoffs -- nor has he ever in past years. I don't think he's even won one signle series ever before (don't quote me on that though). Wait -- maybe that makes him a perfect Blake acquisition ;)

Also, I personally don't like "small" goalies -- so that could also be impacting my lack of affinity for Saros.
Im not a big fan of his either. I think Blake likes him though.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Im not a big fan of his either. I think Blake likes him though.
Genuine question, what makes you think that? I’m aware of a trade rumour of two but I tend to give them little credence as they are rarely reliable.

I don’t want Saros either. I’d maybe take a punt if he were a UFA we could sign at his Aav but I wouldn’t give up assets other than the cap hit.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Genuine question, what makes you think that? I’m aware of a trade rumour of two but I tend to give them little credence as they are rarely reliable.

I don’t want Saros either. I’d maybe take a punt if he were a UFA we could sign at his Aav but I wouldn’t give up assets other than the cap hit.
No reason other than that hes been linked to the Kings for a couple years and Blake goes after the big names in the offseasons.

Reactions: Statto

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I mean, at this point I am jaded and would say no; but of course, never say never in the sense that if they can trade for a legit star goaltender or acquire a solid prospect then it wouldn't be the worst deal in the world. I really wish they would have made it work when they were trying to trade up to take
Wallstedt. Especially in hindsight after seeing what they actually did with their asset management...

The problem was nobody was willing to let them trade up without giving back a first. They tried to make a deal.

They ended up picking up Portillo a few years later and he's shaping up to be a good one.

Last edited:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
No reason other than that hes been linked to the Kings for a couple years and Blake goes after the big names in the offseasons.
Thanks. I was curious as I’ve not followed things all that closely recently, I’ve become a bit detached/despondent.

Reactions: Schmooley

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Other PLD for goalie trade possibilities include Darcy Kemper, and maybe this is a more realistic target.

Indeed, this one is floated out there via a few media folks. Could see something like PLD, Kaliyev to the Caps for Kuemper and another piece(s)/pick(s). Have to make the cap numbers work. maybe LA retains a bit on PLD.

Kuemper CLAUSE DETAILS: M-NTC until May 31, 2024: 15 team no-trade list. Beginning June 1, 2024: 10 team no-trade list

@Lt Dan mentioned the Kuemper contract and past stint with the Kings so it makes some sense.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Indeed, this one is floated out there via a few media folks. Could see something like PLD, Kaliyev to the Caps for Kuemper and another piece(s)/pick(s). Have to make the cap numbers work. maybe LA retains a bit on PLD.

Kuemper CLAUSE DETAILS: M-NTC until May 31, 2024: 15 team no-trade list. Beginning June 1, 2024: 10 team no-trade list

@Lt Dan mentioned the Kuemper contract and past stint with the Kings so it makes some sense.

From what I gather this one has been speculation based on a hypothetical fit. I see the fit so they might give it some consideration.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

He's 3rd in the league in wins and top 10 in save percentage over the past five years. He is THAT good. Not so good in the playoffs though. Save percentage still very good, but 5-11.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
He's 3rd in the league in wins and top 10 in save percentage over the past five years. He is THAT good. Not so good in the playoffs though. Save percentage still very good, but 5-11.
If Edmonton doesn't make the finals, they should go after him.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Freddy anderson looks like hes on the outs with carolina maybe blake can trade a player or two for this lad. Hes our kind of guy if ya know what i mean... big regular seasons

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Ullmark is Mr. Regular Season, and then is ass in the playoffs. We can lose in the first round with the corpses of Talbot and Rittich in the crease much cheaper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad