Does Mitch Marner re-sign with Toronto?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Does Mitch Marner re-sign with Toronto?

• Yes

Votes: 59 53.6%
  • No he gets traded and resigns with his new team

Votes: 14 12.7%
  • No the Leafs let him walk next summer

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • Too early to tell

Votes: 7 6.4%

• Total voters

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think yes, because as much criticism as he gets (and a fair bit of it is earned), it's still very difficult to find players of his skill level in the NHL. If you replace him with a bunch of lesser depth parts, suddenly the Leafs are not really that talented of a team, it's Matthews, Nylander and who else? Tavares will be quite old.

Treliving made the mistake of playing cheap with Gaudreau and Tkachuk and it blew up in his face in Calgary. He'll give Marner 13 and call it a day.

Reactions: Voight and geebster

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
If he's in it for the money, Toronto will provide.

If he wants to play for a contender and potentially win the SC...he walks for a chance at glory and victory.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yes

I know Leafs are not happy about their playoff fortunes but he's one of the absolute best players in the league (not top 5, but maybe top ~10-15) and letting such a player go in their prime is stupid.

Also - I don't think a trade with a strong return is possible. The contract situation doesn't help.

To me it comes down more to Marner himself. If he decides he wants out no matter what - then that's it. But I doubt that's the case.

Reactions: danny90

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I said Leafs let him walk. Marner has an NMC, and I don't see him waiving it. They'll have the money, but they need to replace JT. Domi's not a 2C solution.

Reactions: Mr Positive

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Marner is 7th in points in the last 5 seasons and he’s been a very solid two way player during that time. It would be a huge mistake not to sign him even if it cost 11.5-13.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
New coach can change everything. Look at Vancouver as an example. I think Berube will be a positive and Marner will be happy to stay in Toronto. It would be a massive mistake to have him leave

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
They’ll keep doubling down and resign him for another big, stupid contract then wonder why they can’t win. Rince and repeat.

This team doesn’t have the guts to shake things up as evidenced by how Shanahan STILL has a job. They still sell tickets and merch so they don’t care. It’s easier to sell fans on the status quo then push the parade back than it is to move a star player, especially at a deeply discounted rate because of Shanahan and Dubas incompetence

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Where would Marner fit best?
Depends on what he wants.

Virtually every team would accept Marner, under the right circumstances and at the right price.

He could re-sign in Toronto for the fattest wallet. He could seek out another pretender team in a friendlier city as the frontman to fill seats in their area. He could hold out and wait for a SC contender to come knocking.

The world is Marner's oyster. He is at the helm of his destiny.

• Love
Reactions: Coffees

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Depends on what he wants.

Virtually every team would accept Marner, under the right circumstances and at the right price.

He could re-sign in Toronto for the fattest wallet. He could seek out another pretender team in a friendlier city as the frontman to fill seats in their area. He could hold out and wait for a SC contender to come knocking.

The world is Marner's oyster. He is at the helm of his destiny.
He has deserved it

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I think he will which will hurt the Leafs long-term

They don't have a winning mix and locking him up for 8 years would confirm 8 more years of 1st round exits

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Too much depends on the 2025 playoffs.

If the Leafs are out round 1 again, the fans will burn the city down if their whipping boy signs for what he's worth. It would likely be a mutual break up between the TML and Marner. On the other hand, Toronto may do well and they want to keep winning together.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I wonder if he gets the Phil Kessel treatment. Trade him to a contender where he's not counted on to carry the offense night in and night out. He plays behind superstars where he doesn't have the pressure. Where he can be played on the teams third line and provide secondary offense.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Unless he lights out and they go past the 2nd round at minimum he's gone. It's not that he's not a great player but they need to change the identity of that team. You can't tie up that much in cap space with the same players that have been given every chance for 5 plus years and they haven't given you the results that is expected. It's not a talent issue with Leafs as they are loaded there just the make up of the team doesn't work.

Crow

May 19, 2014
After failing to meet expectations in the playoffs yet again he walks.

I’d actually love to be wrong. I enjoy the energy and passion for the game that leafs fans bring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad