Does Marner get Boo’d?

Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Times have changed from when Murphy was booed.

The cap has put restraints on how GM’s can build and adjust their team. If you demand the moon and simply don’t produce, you deserve criticism. Simple as that.

It certainly doesn’t mean you’re a classless idiot for booing someone - you seem overly sensitive about booing, why?
Targeting one player, because he makes more money than you think he should, and because he refused to waive an NMC and honour the contract he signed in good faith, is garbage and classless. Don't pretend that this thread isn't about that. It is.

If you wanna boo the team's effort after a bad period/game, by all means, that's your right. What OP was implying, here, is not cool, amd it shouldn't be done.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Of course the greed is frustrating, but are we really wanting to boo a guy because he wants to stay? Booing is the equivalent of having an adult temper tantrum.

They guy who deserves it more is Robertson (whom I have defended over the years). In what world does a 22 year old who has missed almost 2 years due to injuries demand a trade because he isn't playing enough. Earn your stripes.

Was listening to Overdrive on YouTube yesterday. Jonas was saying that the Robertson stuff has nothing to do with lineups. Says there are other reasons why he wants a trade. The number one reason being that the development staff were basically f***ing with him while he was down with the Marlies. They would tell him to work on one area of his game, he would go do it and show them he can, then they’d be like well, now you’re not doing this right. It was a never ending cycle of basically just shitting on the kid. I can understand as an athlete feeling like that is a toxic environment and not good for your mental health.

Reactions: Rude Dog

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Your salary doesn't determine your worth as a human.

All things considered it certainly is suggestive of how completely screwed up we are as a civilization though. A pampered idol class making millions if not billions of dollars for entertainment and grift. Meanwhile Business owners and Corporate Officers have immense pressures and if they fail has consequences for thousands of employees and their families. Doctors saving lives for a fraction of the money and lets not forget all the dirty dangerous jobs out there. In Africa they mine Lithium by hand for your iPhone.

You have the audacity to paint Hockey players getting paid millions and being booed with them? I love this place and how tone def it can be. So what if he gets booed or called an ass or whatever. Its life.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Times have changed from when Murphy was booed.

The cap has put restraints on how GM’s can build and adjust their team. If you demand the moon and simply don’t produce, you deserve criticism. Simple as that.

It certainly doesn’t mean you’re a classless idiot for booing someone - you seem overly sensitive about booing, why?
I think you are missing the point. What purpose does it serve other than to make Leaf fans look ridiculous. It's not going to improve his play on the ice. It will lessen Tre's trade value if there is a feeling there is a pressure to get him out of town. Players around the league will 100% take note.

We all want our pound of flesh for what has happened in the past. You do you.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Targeting one player, because he makes more money than you think he should, and because he refused to waive an NMC and honour the contract he signed in good faith, is garbage and classless. Don't pretend that this thread isn't about that. It is.

If you wanna boo the team's effort after a bad period/game, by all means, that's your right. What OP was implying, here, is not cool, amd it shouldn't be done.
I’m the OP and nothing was implied. You’re looking for something that’s not there.

Results oriented business and the results aren’t there. Does he deserved to be Boo’d.

Looks like a 60/40 split so is the question really that far off base? I don’t believe so.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Was listening to Overdrive on YouTube yesterday. Jonas was saying that the Robertson stuff has nothing to do with lineups. Says there are other reasons why he wants a trade. The number one reason being that the development staff were basically f***ing with him while he was down with the Marlies. They would tell him to work on one area of his game, he would go do it and show them he can, then they’d be like well, now you’re not doing this right. It was a never ending cycle of basically just shitting on the kid. I can understand as an athlete feeling like that is a toxic environment and not good for your mental health.
Interesting. I never heard this. This I can understand. Even on these boards, the majority of our fanbase rips on the kid after most games even when he is one of the few busting his ass. Guess there is always two sides to a story.

Reactions: francis246

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
All things considered it certainly is suggestive of how completely screwed up we are as a civilization though. A pampered idol class making millions if not billions of dollars for entertainment and grift. Meanwhile Business owners and Corporate Officers have immense pressures and if they fail has consequences for thousands of employees and their families. Doctors saving lives for a fraction of the money and lets not forget all the dirty dangerous jobs out there. In Africa they mine Lithium by hand for your iPhone.

You have the audacity to pinning Hockey players getting paid millions and being booed with them? I love this place.
Wahhhhhhh.

Poor corporate. How will they ever get by 😭

You have the audacity to cry over billionaires, and lambast me for asking for a little respect and decency?

Take a lap :laugh:

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I think you are missing the point. What purpose does it serve other than to make Leaf fans look ridiculous. It's not going to improve his play on the ice. It will lessen Tre's trade value if there is a feeling there is a pressure to get him out of town. Players around the league will 100% take note.

We all want our pound of flesh for what has happened in the past. You do you.
It serves the purpose of voicing displeasure. It puts heat on management, the player, the media. It’s one of the only tools fans have, especially leaf fans who have their building sold out every night by corporations.

It’s not about value. It’s not about helping Marner figure it out, it’s about letting everyone in that building know that fans aren’t cool with the direction.

Marner will still wake up as he does every morning, booing or not. Accountability goes a long way.

Reactions: myleafs

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Interesting. I never heard this. This I can understand. Even on these boards, the majority of our fanbase rips on the kid after most games when he is one often one of the few busting his ass. Guess there is always two sides to a story.

Yup, that pretty much outlines it. I don’t think he doesn’t want to be a maple leaf or doesn’t think he can grab a spot. But it sounds like he’s just mentally over it here. Sounds like he’s been through a lot and there’s a lack of trust. Jonas essentially said he (Robertson) doesn’t really understand or have a clear idea of what the leafs want him to work on in order to be what they want him to be.

Basically sounds like Treliving or Berube needs to speak with him and just give him a bit of reassurance and direct feedback. I think Robertson situation gets resolved

Reactions: ACC1224

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Wahhhhhhh.

You have the audacity to cry over billionaires, and lambast me for asking for a little respect and decency?

Ernie read what you wrote back. Its silly. No offense but its really out there. They are going to boo his little feelings into depression? So sad. I am sure the 80 million, sweet cars and mansions will ease the pain and eternal suffering poor Mitchmillion Marner has endured.

He can even spend some of those monies to talk to someone that listens to so many twisted things that they need a shrink themselves

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I’m the OP and nothing was implied. You’re looking for something that’s not there.

Results oriented business and the results aren’t there. Does he deserved to be Boo’d.

Looks like a 60/40 split so is the question really that far off base? I don’t believe so.
You specifically mentioned him not waiving. I wasn't looking for a hidden meaning. It was in the OP.

AGAIN, if he's a part of a team who plays like *hit, than boo them. That's what happens at all sporting events, for better or worse.

If he gets booed every time he touches the puck, or becomes the direct target of chants, that's classless, embarrassing, and only hurting the team you say you want to win a cup. That's reality, whether you like it or not

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Wahhhhhhh.

My favourite is whenever those guys bring up the corporate world. This is a hockey forum and these are professional athletes. Completely different careers. No one gives two shits about corporate companies.

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I see your point, but you have to know your audience: HF.

3 elements exist in this culture:

1. Pure Cheerleader Mode - loves anyone who ever wore the blue and white. Refuses to be critical at all.

2. Unhealthy Hatred of all things TOR. It seems to be everywhere, and I also believe it's a national past-time. I think the leaf fans that have been around here for a while have had enough, and I don't blame them.

3. Dubas Robots- there are a few left. They have good intentions, but they generally protect anything that once had KD's fingerprints on them.

By all means. Go to the games and boo Marner. It's your right as a fan.
There's a lot more than just these "3 elements".

I agree that fans have the right to boo. It happens all the time and I'm baffled why some people are so offended by it.

I don't think anyone will be booing Marner right off the bat because he refuses to waive his NMC. People will boo him if he does things worthy of being bood during the games, just like every other player. JMHO.

Reactions: rumman and myleafs

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Ernie read what you wrote back. Its silly. No offense but its really out there. They are going to boo his little feelings into depression? So sad. I am sure the 80 million, sweet cars and mansions will ease the pain and eternal suffering poor Mitchmillion Marner has endured.

He can even spend some of those monies to talk to someone that listens to so many twisted things that they need a shrink themselves
Look, You rubbed Galen's back to comfort him through the boycott. We get it. I'm sure he needed it

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
My favourite is whenever those guys bring up the corporate world. This is a hockey forum and these are professional athletes. Completely different careers. No one gives two shits about corporate companies.

They are entertainers. Highly paid jesters of sorts. They sign up to play a game to entertain you and hear your boos and hiss'.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
You specifically mentioned him not waiving. I wasn't looking for a hidden meaning. It was in the OP.

AGAIN, if he's a part of a team who plays like *hit, than boo them. That's what happens at all sporting events, for better or worse.

If he gets booed every time he touches the puck, or becomes the direct target of chants, that's classless, embarrassing, and only hurting the team you say you want to win a cup. That's reality, whether you like it or not
Clam down bud. You seem personally hurt by this. This is a simple discussion on a fan board.

What hurts the team more is running the same, sad-sack group back over and over. It results in less fan engagement and is horrible for the brand overall. What young kid getting into hockey would sign up to support that?

If management is actively looking to move him and he “wants to stay” because of selfish reasons - he deserves whatever criticism comes his way. That’s how the real world works. That’s reality, whether you like it or not.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
How is that on me? That’s Marner's job to play hockey, not mine.

How about he earns his paycheque and represents the crest and the letter on his jersey? He is a piss poor leader and should not be wearing a letter. Does not lead by example or play. I would have Domi in his spot in a heartbeat.

So piss poor of a leader/human that O’Reilly who spent a few months here was begging his GM to go out and trade for him. So piss poor of a leader that Matthews had a full on meltdown because Babcock wouldn’t let him play with Mitch. So piss poor of a leader/human that John Tavares when signing as a free agent, said, I want Mitch Marner on my wing. The public perception of this guy is so far removed from what players in hockey actually think about him. There has to be a documentary made about this, because I don’t understand why players keep contradicting what the HF Boards experts keep saying about him?!

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So the guy with the most points(Matthews has closed the gap), while giving up the least against while playing the most minutes, is the one being outproduced by everyone else?

That might be the biggest issue. People have difficulty separating off ice vs on ice.

There’s nothing that Marner even does off ice that should piss people off. People who comment on whatever he chooses to do in his spare time are just envious, jealous and haters. It’s irrelevant to anything that involves us

I completely understand thinking his style of play is not ideal or turns you off as a hockey fan. But making fun of him because he got married and is happy, his teeth, his dog, that he likes to stream and have fun is just so weird to me

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
So piss poor of a leader/human that O’Reilly who spent a few months here was begging his GM to go out and trade for him. So piss poor of a leader that Matthews had a full on meltdown because Babcock wouldn’t let him play with Mitch. So piss poor of a leader/human that John Tavares when signing as a free agent, said, I want Mitch Marner on my wing. The public perception of this guy is so far removed from what players in hockey actually think about him. There has to be a documentary made about this, because I don’t understand why players keep contradicting what the HF Boards experts keep saying about him?!
The same O’Reilly that said, lol, I’m good thanks, during contract renewal? It was said he had a very animated exit interview regarding the leadership in the room.

Ya, Matthews asked for Mitch. He was being stapled to Brown and Hyman. Of course he wanted to play with Mitch over the 2 rookie grinders.

And Tavares, the goal scorer, wanting to play with the dynamic playmaker. Not earth shattering stuff here.

Just watch his interviews. His post game interviews in the playoffs. We can’t upgrade the team due to the coin he demands - if he can’t do it he shouldn’t be making that much money. It’s that simple.

He will demand 13mil or damn close too it. Is that justified in your opinion?

Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There’s nothing that Marner even does off ice that should piss people off. People who comment on whatever he chooses to do in his spare time are just envious, jealous and haters. It’s irrelevant to anything that involves us

I completely understand thinking his style of play is not ideal or turns you off as a hockey fan. But making fun of him because he got married and is happy, his teeth, his dog, that he likes to stream and have fun is just so weird to me
...don't forget his charity being set up to steal from the needy to fund his entourage.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I agree with the point being made here, but your examples are not valid.

“So piss poor of a leader that Matthews had a full on meltdown because Babcock wouldn’t let him play with Mitch”
Never happened

“So piss poor of a leader/human that John Tavares when signing as a free agent, said, I want Mitch Marner on my wing”
Our presentation to JT included Marner on his wing. He never had to say anything of the like though I’m sure he very much did want to play with Mitch.

...don't forget his charity being set up to steal from the needy to fund his entourage.

Yeah that’s some next level ridiculousness

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad