Does Marner get Boo’d?

Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
They are all ineffective. You need to take the blinders off, there is a whole team that deserves your froth.
I don’t agree with you. The other guys, while aren’t putting up gaudy point totals, are contributing in other areas. Tavares is basically washed but his effort can’t be questioned.

Willy actually produces.

Matthews produces as well while taking top matchups and unfortunately was sick as a dog and had to be stopped by team doctors from playing.

Other than losing pucks and getting outmuscled Marner is a non-factor in any meaningful way in the post season.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
People who pile on a single player and publicly embarrass them are classless, and low level. Find me the lie....
We're talking about fans possibly booing a player. Fans sometimes boo when they feel like doing so, this has been happening since the beginning of time, is this really news to you? What is about Marner that makes him so special in your eyes that he should be exempt from this?

Perhaps you should lobby Shanahan to give Marner an NBC - No Boo Contract if you think he deserves it for "risking permanent injury" to "give" fans the gift of entertainment and all that jazz. ;)

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
We're talking about fans possibly booing a player. Fans sometimes boo when they feel like doing so, this has been happening since the beginning of time, is this really news to you? What is about Marner that makes him so special in your eyes that he should be exempt from this?

Perhaps you should lobby Shanahan to give Marner an NBC - No Boo Contract if you think he deserves it for "risking permanent injury" to "give" fans the gift of entertainment and all that jazz. ;)
Weird time we live in where it’s seemingly looked down on to voice an opinion or express emotion.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Definitely immature and dumb as a stump and cares too much. (which is weird that people hold that against him)
I don't care about that media stuff though, I mostly ignore it.

Matthews is similar, but always escapes the scrutiny.

Absolutely not true. But definitely less though and there’s several reasons contributing to why that is.

That said, Marner invites it upon himself with his comments much more than Matthews does.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don’t agree with you. The other guys, while aren’t putting up gaudy point totals, are contributing in other areas. Tavares is basically washed but his effort can’t be questioned.

Willy actually produces.

Matthews produces as well while taking top matchups and unfortunately was sick as a dog and had to be stopped by team doctors from playing.

Other than losing pucks and getting outmuscled Marner is a non-factor in any meaningful way in the post season.
So the guy with the most points(Matthews has closed the gap), while giving up the least against while playing the most minutes, is the one being outproduced by everyone else?

Absolutely not true. But definitely less though and there’s several reasons contributing to why that is.

That said, Marner invites it upon himself with his comments much more than Matthews does.
That might be the biggest issue. People have difficulty separating off ice vs on ice.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Weird time we live in where it’s seemingly looked down on to voice an opinion or express emotion.

I think personally there is a difference between booing a player for a less than what should be expected performance on a given night or stretch of play vs exercising a contractual right (which may or may not have been happened) or booing for play from the previous season.

I won’t say people can’t do each, but only one of those should happen imo

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

So true. Matthews has gotten a lot of criticism for sure and I think he'd be getting a lot more if it wasn't for Marner. That kid just comes across as so unlikeable as many have pointed out that he draws the attention away from everyone else.

Reactions: myleafs

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
So the guy with the most points(Matthews has closed the gap), while giving up the least against while playing the most minutes, is the one being outproduced by everyone else?
“The most points”.

Did you watch the playoffs? He had 3 points in 7 games. He was outproduced by both Matthews and Nylander in less games, and was invisible in games 4-7.

Pretty sure he got outproduced by JT aswell, and domi.

He wasn’t even entertaining to watch. Sad display by Marner this post season. Do you remember anything notable?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
“The most points”.

Did you watch the playoffs? He had 3 points in 7 games. He was outproduced by both Matthews and Nylander in less games, and was invisible in games 4-7.

Pretty sure he got outproduced by JT aswell, and domi.

He wasn’t even entertaining to watch. Sad display by Marner this post season. Do you remember anything notable?
Obviously, points refers to their playoff careers.
I remember him playing hurt while others sat. I've said many times none of them were good enough and understand that in team sports focusing the blame solely on one is pretty silly.
I also understand that booing someone for something that happened months prior is a useless exercise.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Obviously, points refers to their playoff careers.
I remember him playing hurt while others sat. I've said many times none of them were good enough and understand that in team sports focusing the blame solely on one is pretty silly.
I also understand that booing someone for something that happened months prior is a useless exercise.
I was being a bit obtuse in my response to you. I knew you meant career points, Marner was very productive last playoffs - not so much this year.

However, I firmly stand on the grounds that Marner is not worth his current contract and if is undeservingly offered a raise, should not be higher than what Willy received.

He is simply not worth it, and I point to this past seasons playoffs and subsequent response to the media as to why he is no longer a fit here.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I see your point, but you have to know your audience: HF.

3 elements exist in this culture:

1. Pure Cheerleader Mode - loves anyone who ever wore the blue and white. Refuses to be critical at all.

2. Unhealthy Hatred of all things TOR. It seems to be everywhere, and I also believe it's a national past-time. I think the leaf fans that have been around here for a while have had enough, and I don't blame them.

3. Dubas Robots- there are a few left. They have good intentions, but they generally protect anything that once had KD's fingerprints on them.

By all means. Go to the games and boo Marner. It's your right as a fan.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I think personally there is a difference between booing a player for a less than what should be expected performance on a given night or stretch of play vs exercising a contractual right (which may or may not have been happened) or booing for play from the previous season.

I won’t say people can’t do each, but only one of those should happen imo
If a team gets bood for a garbage period, that's one thing. This thread isn't about that, though. Singling a guy out, like what happened to Larry Murphy, is gross, and should be reviled by anyone who calls themselves a fan

Bust

Jul 28, 2016

1. Pure Cheerleader Mode - loves anyone who ever wore the blue and white. Refuses to be critical at all.

2. Unhealthy Hatred of all things TOR. It seems to be everywhere, and I also believe it's a national past-time. I think the leaf fans that have been around here for a while have had enough, and I don't blame them.

3. Dubas Robots- there are a few left. They have good intentions, but they generally protect anything that once had KD's fingerprints on them.

I can appreciate that.

Hey, I’m all up for a healthy, spirited debate. At the end of the day we are all passionately cheering for the same goal - to win a cup.

I just don’t understand the virtue signalling, that some people are above criticism.

Like what’s the alternative to booing? Emailing Marner personally? Stand at the upper bowl and conduct a well thought out speech to address the team? I just don’t see another avenue to voice displeasure that would carry any level of clout. Not saying that booing would, but this is just a simple voicing of opinion. (These questions aren’t for you, just ranting)

I appreciate all of you leaf fans.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Nobody's saying you CAN'T. You absolutely can. That doesn't mean you aren't an classless idiot for doing so, however.

• Haha
Reactions: IPS

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
If a team gets bood for a garbage period, that's one thing. This thread isn't about that, though. Singling a guy out, like what happened to Larry Murphy, is gross, amd should be reviled by anyone who calls themselves a fan
Times have changed from when Murphy was booed.

The cap has put restraints on how GM’s can build and adjust their team. If you demand the moon and simply don’t produce, you deserve criticism. Simple as that.

Nobody's saying you CAN'T. You absolutely can. That doesn't mean you aren't an classless idiot for doing so, however.
It certainly doesn’t mean you’re a classless idiot for booing someone - you seem overly sensitive about booing, why?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Little weird to bring up the so called “Dubas robots” and not also bring up the brigade of haters that go from thread to thread bringing him up in discussions that he has otherwise no part of.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Little weird to bring up the so called “Dubas robots” and not also bring up the brigade of haters that go from thread to thread bringing him up in discussions that he has otherwise no part of.
Dubas kind of set the table with the NMC’s, conveniently right after his own contract renewal.

Would you not agree?

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Of course the greed is frustrating, but are we really wanting to boo a guy because he wants to stay? Booing is the equivalent of having an adult temper tantrum.

They guy who deserves it more is Robertson (whom I have defended over the years). In what world does a 22 year old who has missed almost 2 years due to injuries demand a trade because he isn't playing enough. Earn your stripes.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I'm probably going to Vegas at some point next year and I'm considering planning the trip to coincide with the Leafs playing there if the timing works otherwise. I will never again pay the ridiculous prices they charge to watch in Toronto though, not even close to being worth it. JMHO.

I know you can't handle any criticism whatsoever of your two favorite players but Marner's been so bad last couple of playoffs, you're just going to have to deal with it somehow.

Vegas hockey games are unreal. Went to the leafs vs Vegas their inaugural season and it was magical

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Dubas kind of set the table with the NMC’s, conveniently right after his own contract renewal.

Would you not agree?

I don’t really want to get into a huge Dubas discussion, but there are two opposite and equally annoying groups of people when it comes to Dubas posts. Just thought it was weird to highlight one and omit the other

Reactions: francis246

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I was being a bit obtuse in my response to you. I knew you meant career points, Marner was very productive last playoffs - not so much this year.

However, I firmly stand on the grounds that Marner is not worth his current contract and if is undeservingly offered a raise, should not be higher than what Willy received.

He is simply not worth it, and I point to this past seasons playoffs and subsequent response to the media as to why he is no longer a fit here.
Which is all fine and you're entitled to that opinion. I don't see why any of those thoughts should result in booing the player though.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
It is just bad taste to boo an individual Leafs player.
If you boo the team bc they played like crap is one thing but booing an individual player is unnecessary.
And I am one who wants to trade MM in order to have a more balance line up.
I don’t agree with you on this one.

If you can boo the team you can boo a player.
Of course the greed is frustrating, but are we really wanting to boo a guy because he wants to stay? Booing is the equivalent of having an adult temper tantrum.

They guy who deserves it more is Robertson (whom I have defended over the years). In what world does a 22 year old who has missed almost 2 years due to injuries demand a trade because he isn't playing enough. Earn your stripes.
If he wants to stay why does it take the absolute ceiling in terms of cap allocation to retain him?

The greed is infuriating to witness as a leaf supporter first and foremost. I went and cheered my ass off at games where our top line was something along the lines of: komerov-Holland-Winnik. Those 3 showed more heart than Marner ever has here (post contract).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad