Does Marner get Boo’d?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does Marner get Boo’d at home games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can only speak for myself obviously.

I feel that you just don’t trade a big top centre like Matthews. This isn’t PLD we’re talking about - perennial rocket winning, solid defensively, Allstar centre.

Willy just re-signed. That would be silly. JT is falling off the cap next year.

The way the cap works with the salary Marner demands - he’s just not a fit anymore. That’s the salary cap for you! If he’s told he won’t be brought back, why wouldn’t he want a fresh start somewhere?
Not seeing why that would be any reason to boo a player.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We joke but the difference between the Kessel teams or even the PA Pareanteau teams is basically 82 games vs 89 games a year.

It's also the difference of watching a 69 point team, vs a team that puts up 100+- points every year. I think I'd rather watch a team win 50+- games a year, vs. a team who wins less than 30. Even if losing in the playoffs sucks a ton.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
As a fan of the team, not the player(s), I see it as a huge reason to boo a player.

He would be single-handedly preventing the team from moving forward. For better or worse.

He isn't single handedly preventing the team from moving forward... The team hasn't tried to trade him, there is no refusal to waive a NMC. He is far from the only problem on this team, that's ridiculous.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I dont get the Marner hate. Leaf fans are so ungrateful. Our other stars have barely done anything in the playoffs as well. We cant just be happy. Lets go back to having PA Parenteau as our best forward.
Even if you don't hate Marner personally, it's pretty ridiculous not to "get" the hate by many fans. Have you not been paying attention?

Some fans have felt slighted & disrespected by Marner, going all the way back to the 2019 contract negotiation, where his camp clearly felt like they could use fan emotion as a bargaining tool.

As an extension of that, some fans find his level of play incommensurable relative to the contract, and the manner to which it was signed.

Some other fans can't stand his attitude / petulance, and just generally over-defensive demeanor. This, personally, is the subset of fans that I think are most unreasonable, but there also have been several examples where he just simply hasn't helped himself.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
As a fan of the team, not the player(s), I see it as a huge reason to boo a player.

He would be single-handedly preventing the team from moving forward. For better or worse.
So he should quit? Not sure how he's preventing anything. He's honoring the contract the team gave him and would love to stay and sign another one.

Reactions: Cams and Mr_Fun

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
He isn't single handedly preventing the team from moving forward... The team hasn't tried to trade him, there is no refusal to waive a NMC. He is far from the only problem on this team, that's ridiculous.
Hypothetically, if he’s asked to move and he doesn’t.

I believe your stance is somewhat complacent, and I would be upset as a fan if management thought that way.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
So he should quit? Not sure how he's preventing anything. He's honoring the contract the team gave him and would love to stay and sign another one.
No, he should accept a move if he’s told he won’t be part of the plans moving forward.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Even if you don't hate Marner personally, it's pretty ridiculous not to "get" the hate by many fans. Have you not been paying attention?

Some fans have felt slighted & disrespected by Marner, going all the way back to the 2019 contract negotiation, where his camp clearly felt like they could use fan emotion as a bargaining tool.

As an extension of that, some fans find his level of play incommensurable relative to the contract, and the manner to which it was signed.

Some other fans can't stand his attitude / petulance, and just generally over-defensive demeanor. This, personally, is the subset of fans that I think are most unreasonable, but there also have been several examples where he just simply hasn't helped himself.
You forgot his dad, teeth and dog plus stealing from the needy.

No, he should accept a move if he’s told he won’t be part of the plans moving forward.
He's refused?

Reactions: Cams

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I dont get the Marner hate. Leaf fans are so ungrateful. Our other stars have barely done anything in the playoffs as well. We cant just be happy. Lets go back to having PA Parenteau as our best forward.
LOL. Did we pay Parenteau 10s of millions of dollars and told the fans they were Cup contenders? These guys were paid generational money and are 1 and 8 in playoff series. Eight years of the same song and dance is enough for me. It's 57 years since they won a cup. Decades since they went to the ECF.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
We see management teams like Vegas being ultra aggressive with their roster movement and they’ve been wildly successful.

Tampa bay is a great example - they walked away from their captain as he didn’t fit cap wise anymore.

Why does Marner deserve all the money in the world and is void of criticism at the same time? Why can’t fans express their emotion in this instance? Why do we get labelled as “ungrateful” for demanding more from our “stars”.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hypothetically, if he’s asked to move and he doesn’t.

I believe your stance is somewhat complacent, and I would be upset as a fan if management thought that way.

No.. it isn't a complacent stances, it's recognizing where the blame currently is, as opposed to errantly blaming a player, who has no capability to construct the roster. Are you upset he hasn't demanded a trade... I mean that's kind of weird.

If he had been asked to waive, and refused, that's another story... but then why even bother with hypotheticals... it's like posting about if he hypothetically won the Conn Smyth

Reactions: Cams and ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
We see management teams like Vegas being ultra aggressive with their roster movement and they’ve been wildly successful.

Tampa bay is a great example - they walked away from their captain as he didn’t fit cap wise anymore.

Why does Marner deserve all the money in the world and is void of criticism at the same time? Why can’t fans express their emotion in this instance? Why do we get labelled as “ungrateful” for demanding more from our “stars”.
Demand it from all of them

Reactions: DarkKnight

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
No.. it isn't a complacent stances, it's recognizing where the blame currently is, as opposed to errantly blaming a player, who has no capability to construct the roster. Are you upset he hasn't demanded a trade... I mean that's kind of weird.

If he had been asked to waive, and refused, that's another story... but then why even bother with hypotheticals... it's like posting about if he hypothetically won the Conn Smyth
I just see Marner as the easiest route to fixing the roster. It’s the landscape of a cap world, especially when you go BPA in the draft every year and don’t try to actually curate the team. Change is needed, has been needed for years, and we’re at the stage with the construction of contract where Marner will need to be moved to right the ship. We can’t have 3-4 forwards making the kind of money they demand.

So you'll cheering him until that changes?
I will be cheering for change in marners attitude for sure. If he figures it out I will be cheering for him.

But ultimately I am a fan of the Toronto maple leafs and want team success over everything.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I just see Marner as the easiest route to fixing the roster. It’s the landscape of a cap world, especially when you go BPA in the draft every year and don’t try to actually curate the team. Change is needed, has been needed for years, and we’re at the stage with the construction of contract where Marner will need to be moved to right the ship. We can’t have 3-4 forwards making the kind of money they demand.
Those are valid thoughts but not a reason to boo a player.
They should have moved on from Nylander to initiate change, keep the better players.

Reactions: francis246

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I will be cheering for change in marners attitude for sure. If he figures it out I will be cheering for him.

But ultimately I am a fan of the Toronto maple leafs and want team success over everything.
Jays moved McGriff and Fernández, Raps moved Derozen and they won a championship. The Leafs are afraid to move Marner, who performs in the playoffs like Derozen.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Those are valid thoughts but not a reason to boo a player.
They should have moved on from Nylander to initiate change, keep the better players.
Better is subjective - but I’d overall rank Nylander ahead of Marner. Simply for his efforts and results in the post season.

I feel Willy is wired for the NHL. You can tell his dad was a pro with the way he carry’s himself. Matthews is somewhat wired this way. Nothing bothers these guys.

Marner lives in his own head. It’s just not the personality to work here long term IMO. I would love to be proved wrong on this.

Reactions: Al14 and ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad