Does Kris Letang fall into the category of a Hall of Famer to you?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
The classic X-factor guy, I think. So much of his career shows you he is a HHOFer, and then there are those undeniable gaps. And it leaves you wondering if he did enough in between those injury riddled years and those gaffe-inducing post seasons the Pens had in between their Cups.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
last thread on the topic.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Letang has had a long and mostly great career - talk about overcoming personal adversity! - but I think he certainly has a borderline case at best for the HHOF. I wouldn't put money on him getting in.

I wouldn't rule out the Pens retiring his number, though, even if it's just a feel-good "butts in seats" move during the post Crosby doldrums.

Reactions: 12ozPapa

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Letang has had a long and mostly great career - talk about overcoming personal adversity! - but I think he certainly has a borderline case at best for the HHOF. I wouldn't put money on him getting in.

I wouldn't rule out the Pens retiring his number, though, even if it's just a feel-good "butts in seats" move during the post Crosby doldrums.
Huh? Pretty much guaranteed the Pens retire his number, no?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
He'll for sure get in. He was the #1 dman of the Crosby era Penguins that won 3 Stanley Cups (even though he was only the #1 dman for one of those cups). He'll finish his career with 1000+ games played and 700+ points. He won't be the best dman in there, but he'll for sure make it in, there are defensemen with weaker resumes than him already in there.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
They may want more than two players in the Hall from those Cup-winning Pens teams. If Fleury doesn't get in (I'm almost certain he will), I can see Letang being inducted. Maybe both will be.

Reactions: wetcoast

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
He'll for sure get in. He was the #1 dman of the Crosby era Penguins that won 3 Stanley Cups (even though he was only the #1 dman for one of those cups). He'll finish his career with 1000+ games played and 700+ points. He won't be the best dman in there, but he'll for sure make it in, there are defensemen with weaker resumes than him already in there.

Will be interesting, but I kinda lean towards this argument. I don’t necessarily agree with it, but once he’s retired I think voters will see it more in that light.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
I love the guy but in my mind he's a "hall of very good." With that said, I wouldn't be shocked if he eventually slipped in.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I’m personally a small HOF guy, basically only the few very best of an era should get in. That ship has sailed though in reality. He could certainly get in on a down year but he’s down the list of best defensemen that played while he played

Reactions: PlushMinus

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
They may want more than two players in the Hall from those Cup-winning Pens teams. If Fleury doesn't get in (I'm almost certain he will), I can see Letang being inducted. Maybe both will be.
There is no "if" - Fleury is guaranteed induction to HHOF.

Letang not 100 percent sure, but wouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: ClydeLee

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
745 points in 1094 regular season games. 90 points in 149 playoff games. Best Norris finishes: 3, 4, 6, 6, 7, 8, 9, 9, 17. Masterton. I don’t know the formula, but to me, that’s a not first ballot hall of famer.

These Are The Days

I need about tree fiddy
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Also Letang is Hall Of Very Good like a Lecavalier at his peak but it would not surprise me if playing next to 1st ballot HHOFers in Crosby and Malkin will probably be enough to get him in despite how ridiculous that is

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Welcome to the hall of very good Kris. He played his prime in an era where he didn’t win a single Norris but guys like burns, subban and giordano did. Letang likely played against some of the weakest competition for Norris in the past 40 years and still couldn’t win one.
He was always injured, he never played enough games to win a Norris.

And while Burns, Subban, and Giordano were weak competition, he was also competing against guys like Karlsson, Doughty, Keith, and Hedman, who are just as good as the top defenseman from any era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad