Does Crosby’s point-per-game streak end this season?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

It doesn't mean shit what Ovi fanboys think whether it should count. The official NHL record book says it counts, so it counts.

You know I'm right.

That the NHL would choose to create a bs record just for Crosby should surprise nobody. They've been doing him favors for his entire career along with the media who hilariously gave Crosby Selke votes last season (despite his 93 ES GA) and a Conn Smythe for a 65 point / 21 goal pace as a minus player.

He's on pace for 115 ES GA this season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You know I'm right.

That the NHL would choose to create a bs record just for Crosby should surprise nobody. They've been doing him favors for his entire career along with the media who hilariously gave Crosby Selke votes last season and a Conn Smythe for a 65 point / 21 goal pace as a minus player.

No, you are objectively wrong. The NHL is the one who decides these things and they said it's a legitimate PPG season. What some Ovi fanboy says on HFBoards doesn't mean anything.

This just sounds like the Jets fans who absolutely insist their "16 game winning streak" split between 2 years is a legitimate winning streak, despite the NHL not considering it a legitimate winning streak. The actual records of the NHL are determined by the NHL, not by the fans.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
No, you are objectively wrong. The NHL is the one who decides these things and they said it's a legitimate PPG season.

It obviously isn't though. 22 games is nowhere near a season, and 37 points is nowhere near a PPG season's worth of points. Key word: "season."

This is a totally flimsy BS record with no standards.

This just sounds like the Jets fans who absolutely insist their "16 game winning streak" split between 2 years is a legitimate winning streak, despite the NHL not considering it a legitimate winning streak. The actual records of the NHL are determined by the NHL, not by the fans.

If it were Crosby's team the NHL would call it a streak.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It obviously isn't though. 22 games is nowhere near a season, and 37 points is nowhere near a PPG season's worth of points. Key word: "season."

What sucks for you is that the people who interpret these records and decide what is legit don't have the same opinion as you. So they are saying that those seasons do count as PPG seasons.

You can whine about how it shouldn't count all you want, but it objectively does count. That's a fact.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
It isn't like this is a special rule that the NHL made up just for Crosby. For more than thirty years, Gretzky has gotten credit for a PPG season, despite playing in only 45 out of 84 games.

The NHL credited Mario Lemieux with 15 PPG seasons. The only way that's possible is by counting the years where he played 43, 26, 24 and 22 games.

Malkin has gotten credit for a 41 and game season. Messier and Francis, coincidentally, each got credit for a 53 game seasons.

For what it's worth, my preferred stat would be something like - "seasons where a player has scored X points, where X is the number of games on the schedule". In which case, Crosby is 3rd all-time (behind only Gretzky and Howe). But it's the NHL's record book, and they make the rules.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
It isn't like this is a special rule that the NHL made up just for Crosby. For more than thirty years, Gretzky has gotten credit for a PPG season, despite playing in only 45 out of 84 games.

The NHL credited Mario Lemieux with 15 PPG seasons. The only way that's possible is by counting the years where he played 43, 26, 24 and 22 games.

Malkin has gotten credit for a 41 and game season. Messier and Francis, coincidentally, each got credit for a 53 game seasons.

For what it's worth, my preferred stat would be something like - "seasons where a player has scored X points, where X is the number of games on the schedule". In which case, Crosby is 3rd all-time (behind only Gretzky and Howe). But it's the NHL's record book, and they make the rules.
The stat in question is literally "points per game". If people want to talk about total points in a season they should do that.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019

By definition, there is a standard. I’ll let you guess what that standard is.

You being a Caps fan and wanting to discount everything that superior players on a superior franchise do doesn’t change that.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Maybe this discussion should be re-worded “Scored at least as many points as games that he played in that season streak”.

Doesn’t quite roll off the tongue, and overly explains something that anyone reasonable understands already…. but maybe some of the constant bickering that crops up every time over the phrase “point per game season” would die down.

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
When Crosby was in danger of having a 55pt season, which would be the worst of his career, obviously, they fired the coach after 28 games, other issues were how youth was used on that roster by the coach, scoring issues, etc.

Fast forward 10yrs later...

Crosby is on pace for 57pts and playing the worst hockey of his career that would make that 55pt season feel more hopeful, a coach that refuses to use youth is yet another problem, he has tanked multiple players, forced multiple trades because of it, yet this time the coach is praised by every hockey media outlet and analyst as a top 5 coach and the ownership would rather fire more Gms than fire the coach.

So really, who gives a f*** about Sid. I say this as a Penguin fan. I hope he finishes with 50pts. To say he wants to stay and win and then just sit there and watch this crap, not speak up for the players being shafted by the coach, I hope he gets 50 and keeps talking about how Sullivan is amazing.

I remember when the narrative after a playoff loss was Bylsma lost the room. Then again when MJ had him scoring at a 55pt pace and doing nothing for Sprong's development. Now you have this team playing awful and on trend to miss a third year of the playoffs and the coach hasn't lost the room?

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
What sucks for you is that the people who interpret these records and decide what is legit don't have the same opinion as you. So they are saying that those seasons do count as PPG seasons.

You can whine about how it shouldn't count all you want, but it objectively does count. That's a fact.

Look man if you want to have a meaningless stat with no standards, have at it.

Hooray for you guys.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Uh no. It doesn't.

And there is no record for "Guy who was on pace to score X number of goals, but didn't."
Hey man, just saw you shifting the goalposts to try to discredit another team’s great player and thought I’d give it a try.

By the way, Crosby has more points than Ovechkin and in fewer games, with a significantly higher PPG. That actually happened, and Crosby is actually a superior player to Ovechkin. And the Capitals will always be a second rate franchise.

Reactions: Nfumass

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Hey man, just saw you shifting the goalposts to try to discredit another team’s great player and thought I’d give it a try.

I shifted nothing. Your analogy was false.

By the way, Crosby has more points than Ovechkin and in fewer games, with a significantly higher PPG. That actually happened, and Crosby is actually a superior player to Ovechkin. And the Capitals will always be a second rate franchise.

If assists or secondary assists were just as good as goals, you might have a point.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
They are just as good as goals.

No they aren't.

And your next statement is a non-sequitur because the amount of contribution is generally not the same for a secondary assists as it is for a goal.

Crosby has played a part in more goals than Ovechkin in far fewer games.

Regardless, in the same number of seasons, Ovechkin has been on the ice for 2,250 Capitals goals. Crosby for 2,101 Pens goals.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
He's still a good player and with scoring being up.. I could see it going either way this year.

If the Pens can get the PP going he'll make it.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
No they aren't.

And your next statement is a non-sequitur because the amount of contribution is generally not the same for a secondary assists as it is for a goal.

Regardless, in the same number of seasons, Ovechkin has been on the ice for 2,250 Capitals goals. Crosby for 2,101 Pens goals.
Spoken like a true DC sports fan. Cherry picking stats that only conveniently align with what works for you. Over a decade on this board, and you still can’t have an objective take lol

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
What a completely unnecessary shit fest this became over a question that is essentially “Will Crosby score at a PPG this year?”

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This PPG watch this season for Sid will be like any jump for Evel Knievel - half the the people showed up to watch him make it, the other half showed up to watch him crash.

Half of the fans are watching to see Sid break 20, the other half want to watch to see it end.

You know I'm right.

That the NHL would choose to create a bs record just for Crosby should surprise nobody. They've been doing him favors for his entire career along with the media who hilariously gave Crosby Selke votes last season (despite his 93 ES GA) and a Conn Smythe for a 65 point / 21 goal pace as a minus player.

He's on pace for 115 ES GA this season.
This level of "detachment from reality" is on a whole other scale than what people normally deal with.

The objective information is right in front of your eyes. The numbers are what they are. You can go back and watch each game to confirm them. In every single sense of the word, Crosby was PPG that season. And here you are trying to convince the rest of us (still) that it's not true and not PPG.

You are truly demoralized. I think what Yuri Bezmenov said is quite appropriate:

"A person who is demoralized is unable to assess true information. The facts tell him nothing, even if I shower him with information, with authentic proof, with documents and pictures, he will refuse to believe it. That's the tragedy of the situation of demoralization." - Yuri Bezmenov​

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I give it a 70% chance of happening.

It's been a rough stretch and it could continue and I'm at 30%.

At the start of the season I was 95/5 so I have increased doubt.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
When Crosby was in danger of having a 55pt season, which would be the worst of his career, obviously, they fired the coach after 28 games, other issues were how youth was used on that roster by the coach, scoring issues, etc.

Fast forward 10yrs later...

Crosby is on pace for 57pts and playing the worst hockey of his career that would make that 55pt season feel more hopeful, a coach that refuses to use youth is yet another problem, he has tanked multiple players, forced multiple trades because of it, yet this time the coach is praised by every hockey media outlet and analyst as a top 5 coach and the ownership would rather fire more Gms than fire the coach.

So really, who gives a f*** about Sid. I say this as a Penguin fan. I hope he finishes with 50pts. To say he wants to stay and win and then just sit there and watch this crap, not speak up for the players being shafted by the coach, I hope he gets 50 and keeps talking about how Sullivan is amazing.

I remember when the narrative after a playoff loss was Bylsma lost the room. Then again when MJ had him scoring at a 55pt pace and doing nothing for Sprong's development. Now you have this team playing awful and on trend to miss a third year of the playoffs and the coach hasn't lost the room?
Sid chose honour over glory.

Look man if you want to have a meaningless stat with no standards, have at it.

Hooray for you guys.
This sure does seem to mean a lot to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad