Does Carolina need a shakeup? What kind of shakeup?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Shot quality isn't reflected in shot quantity. We've seen that with the Flames a lot, last year and this year. If you possess the puck a ton and allow only a few chances, and if those chances always come off turnovers and breakdowns that lead to odd-man rushes, it doesn't matter whether that cross-crease tap-in is the 3rd shot on net or the 33rd shot on net, it's probably going to be in the back of your net.

Like, take last night's game. Turnover leads to a cross-crease tap-in. In that moment, it doesn't matter who was carrying play or who was outCorsiing the other team. If you give up that chance, you will get scored on more often than not (the Blues players also made a great play, so credit where credit is due). Second goal, a 3-on-2 inexplicably turns into a 2-on-1 which turns into a breakaway. If you give up that chance, it doesn't matter who has made the most unblocked shot attempts in the last five minutes, you're probably getting scored on.

Blaming the goalie is just lazy analysis. Stop giving up the chances that eliminate your goalie from being a factor in the game, and success will follow. The Flames finally learned that lesson recently (for now). Hopefully the Canes can soon, too.

I'd also argue the goaltending might not be stellar, but that lowered shots against also artificially depresses save percentages--they're middle of the pack in actual goals against, the actual goals for/finishing is a bigger problem on paper. Could the goaltending be better? sure. But they're bottom rung in goals for. Shots don't entitle you to goals.

LA won 2 Cups doing that.

When LA was winning cups doing that, they also had an entire stable of proven 30-40 goal scorers in their top six, and even they were stifled into scoring less goals.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Where I am sitting, I guess I see it as a rare opportunity rather than desperation.

Not a lot of teams have an asset like that available to spare.

But you're right - they can afford to wait for the right deal if one comes along.

It's not as if young stellar defencemen grow on trees either.

Meh. Leafs have several top 4 potential D in the pipeline and their defensive issues are way overblown on here. Especially looking at the Pens D core.. Sure they lost a few pieces but nothing significant. And sure Matthews and JT aren't Sid and Malkin but the Leafs when all healthy and together(with Nylander) have a deeper more impactful overall forward group and a better goalie.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Darling/Mrazek/McBackup

I got to see Darling in the AHL with Milwaukee and Rockford. He was a 2 GAA, 93% SAV goalie for both teams.

Last year he was 3.2 GAA and 89% for Carolina. In the NHL, he is a back up goalie. Expect more of the same this season as he turns 30 in a few weeks. He is big, but he doesn't go side to side the way Pekka Rinne does. Of the three Carolina goalies, he has the worst GAA at 3.14.

member 151739

We lack scorers and traded away our best scorer for ****ing peanuts because "culture change".

Why didn't Skinner fit the culture they wanted? I didn't understand that trade at all.

Reactions: DaveG

bert2z

Dank budz and death metal.
Jan 22, 2013
Michigan
Damn. Mrazek is decent but thats a crappy lineup

Mrazek was always streaky with the wings but had some amazing games. One of the first prospects I followed from juniors to pros. I was bummed when we traded him, but I really thought he would flourish behind a better defence. I hope he can find his confidence again. He was awesome in our first round exit to Tampa few years back.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Why didn't Skinner fit the culture they wanted? I didn't understand that trade at all.
We don't either. Skinner works hard in the off season and on the ice, not the best defensively but he tries.

It seems the new regime wanted to distance itself from the old one and "rebrand" the team. Skinner was likely not going to be re signed to a big fat contract, so they seemingly made him the face for the changes they wanted since he was likely not long for Carolina. He may not have wanted to come back after this year anyways. Because they HAD to do it this off season in time for the team to be "different" this season they had to accept a two team trade list from him and the consequent low ball offer. The actual culture change came from adding Foegele and Ferland up front, and those moves had nothing to do with Skinner so they couldve kept him....scored more...been better and then make the decision to trade him at the deadline or just let him leave for nothing if they made the playoffs. Based on what they got I don't know that the actual trade was much better than letting him go. At least there would be a playoff run.

Faulk was supposedly also part of the culture change, but they never got an offer they liked so they acted like they wanted him to stay, made up, and have been playing him over not only Pesce (Pesce passed him two years ago) but also Hamilton (.....). Maybe they're still showcasing him for a trade.

Either way, it was tough to watch and be part of as a fan. If it was equaling success then it would just be accepted as the past and moved on from. Watching him light it up with the center they never got him leaves a sour taste, but at the same time I'm happy he'll get a higher level of respect as he's an amazing player. We still suck. We traded or let go of Skinner/Lindy/Ryan/Nordstrom/Stempniak up front. Replaced them all with Ferland and.....Martinook. Foegele made it in camp.

They sold it to the fans that Necas and Svech were ready to replace the production lost from day one which was unfair to Necas for sure - and probably Svech despite the draft position. They didn't earn spots based on play in training camp despite selling the concept of Brindy's insistence on "accountability". Which was a back handed comment that Peters didnt have any, which was crap. They play a free of shape system in both ends. They lost the structure of Peters and replaced it with trying really hard and shooting a lot. I don't know what the defensive system even is, but it somehow makes six very good nhl dmen look disorganized and sloppy. Slavin does it the most, but all of them are making sliding desperate hero plays in their own end, indicative of the fact the mistakes are making such moves a requirement. Despite it being an amazing play. It's early in the new regime, but an unimpressive start overall.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
A new coach would be a good start.

I will never be happy with Brindy behind the bench unless we become a consistent playoff contender (and because of him and not in spite). He should have been let go or reassigned after Muller got fired and the other assistants got shown the door. His coaching of the PP has been a joke going back to his assistant days, and he has no clue how to pull them out of this hole they dug themselves into.

No one should ever hire a former franchise legend as HC of said franchise. I've seen it blow up many times and leave a bad taste in everyones mouth. Saw it at NC State w/ Sidney Lowe (0 NCAA tournament appearances in 5 seasons), and also to a lesser degree, Chuck Amato after Philip Rivers went to the NFL. Patrick Roy in Colorado is another example but at least they got the 13/14 season out of it.

Reactions: MinJaBen

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Leafs are in no position at all to ask for an overpay. Leafs are the one desperate for D help (which Canes can give them) not to mention Leafs have a deadline with Nyl. Car can go to any other team for a trade if they don’t get Nyl. It’s not like he is the only guy out there.

If leafs want to let him sit if they can’t sign him then sure. That’s one less elite player on their team to worry about. Leafs have next to no leverage in a trade if it comes down to the line before starting to negotiate
10 goals allowed in the last 6 games and are sitting tied for #5 overall in the league for GA and top 5 in the standings overall, all the while missing their top player and a top line stud W. I don't think the Leafs are desperate for anything these days. Leafs terrible D is a lazy narrative made up by people still living in the past.

Reactions: TDK88

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Everytime I watch highlights of a Canes game, Svechnikov either hits a post/crossbar or just misses on a point blank chance. Has got to be one of the more snake-bit guys in the league.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Everytime I watch highlights of a Canes game, Svechnikov either hits a post/crossbar or just misses on a point blank chance. Has got to be one of the more snake-bit guys in the league.
I thought he would have a bigger impact. Some even thought he was on Laine level and even Kotkaniemi seems ahead.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
10 goals allowed in the last 6 games and are sitting tied for #5 overall in the league for GA and top 5 in the standings overall, all the while missing their top player and a top line stud W. I don't think the Leafs are desperate for anything these days. Leafs terrible D is a lazy narrative made up by people still living in the past.

Noting, Leafs didn't play poorly last year, for long stretches, but did get exposed at times, by teams who could. Let's not declare victory on that weakness, until such time as they play more stronger teams. Part of that GA strength, has also been Andersen bailing the team out at times.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
On Carolina and if their goaltending was normalized.

DrfYGg8W4AAerV_.jpg

Cole Anderson‏ @CrowdScoutSprts 2h2 hours ago
More
goaltending can sink a good team/lift a bad team. what would the NHL standings look like if everything team was allocated average goaltending? (per their xGoals against) TOR/BOS/MIN/WPG/ARI/ANA all fall >8 spots CBJ/OTT/PHI/STIL/CAR would all jump >10 spots

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
So they take a bazillion shots per game, but how many are actually legit scoring chances? The only game I actually watched of them was against the Avs and they badly outshot the Avs only to lose. They never really seemed like much of a threat.

All shots are alike.

________
Signed,
Advanced Statistician.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
As soon as their young superstars Foegele, Zykov, Wallmark, Di Giuseppe, get back to performing at their own all-star level, they'll be fine.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
apparently they are trending in right direction now with most of their young guns developing well but they'll not go very far until they solve the goaltending problem. they are kinda stuck in that sense, same thing that is hindering the chances of quite a few other teams out there.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Goaltending is obviously an issue, but we are tied for 9th best in the league in goals against. Mostly thanks to our defense.

Our offense ranks 27th in the league in goals. We desperately need scoring help. I think it’s the most glaring issue with this team at this moment.

Long term the goalie issue is absolutely the most important fix that needs to be done though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Goaltending is obviously an issue, but we are tied for 9th best in the league in goals against. Mostly thanks to our defense.

Our offense ranks 27th in the league in goals. We desperately need scoring help. I think it’s the most glaring issue with this team at this moment.

Long term the goalie issue is absolutely the most important fix that needs to be done though.

Seems like the same boat as Philly with Elliott/Neurvirth, Edmonton with Talbot, Calgary with Smith, Isles with Greiss/Lehner, St. Louis with Allen.

Where are they going to get this goalie to turn things around?

Bobrovsky? Varlamnov? Howard? Trade for Schneider or Quick, taking the risk that one guy regains his form following his hip injury and another who has missed large chunks of 2 out of the last 3 years with LBI. Recycle Talbot/Smith and hope for the best?

Bob is the biggest fish out there. After him, what can any team get? I don't see nashville giving up Sarros. SJ could part with Dell. But is he the next Jones or is he the next Darling in terms of backup getting a starting chance?

How close is Alex N? I see from his stats, both GAA and SVG are down from last season through 17 games. Should he be the backup next season behind a vet?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00