Does anyone still think we're a playoff team?

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Still say no (hope I'm wrong). We dont have the depth yet. Injuries like Grabner will catch up with us. We will be streaky and always playing catch up.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
^^^^

On the plus, it is nice to see the team bringing things together with Schmaltz in the lineup. I do wonder how trades like the one we saw also affect the internal part of the room, as players will know whether or not a player is truly putting the right amount of work in to elevate their game or stay in the position that they are in. Might be one of those things where the mentality within the room changed with those departures, just as much as the on-ice product has.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
On the plus, it is nice to see the team bringing things together with Schmaltz in the lineup. I do wonder how trades like the one we saw also affect the internal part of the room,

There's a lot of things going on right around the time of this trade.
That's one factor. There's also the chemistry factor that Schmaltz has with Keller on the ice. There's the fact that they were on a losing streak and that they aren't 10+ game losing streak bad. I would say maybe it was a wake up call to some on the roster, but if you look at that first game after the trade the team was really not all that good in that game particularly the 2nd period. If not for some key performances in the 3rd period from unlikely sources that would have been another loss.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I'd like to change my answer...it's a no.

The situation has deteriorated since the question was asked. Sadly, by a lot.

It can still be turned around, but I admit I don't just blow off the problems anymore. It looks dark.

"Nothing a ten-game winning streak can't fix".;)

Reactions: YotesFan47

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The situation has deteriorated since the question was asked. Sadly, by a lot.

It can still be turned around, but I admit I don't just blow off the problems anymore. It looks dark.

"Nothing a ten-game winning streak can't fix".;)

Too many key injuries. I think we would look like a much better team with Dvo and Grabs in the lineup. I like Hino too. Hill has filled in nicely for Raanta, but he was having a great season before the injury bug bit.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
We are the 6th worst team by looking at the lottery selection. And we will slide to be worst.
The phoenix Suns have the worst team in the NBA.
The Cardinals are the worst.
Welcome to Arizona sports.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Only 3 teams have fewer points. After The NYI loss playoff odds down 3.1 to 8.9%

Goal differential just reached season low.

EYCVGnz.png

Maybe this will be our year to win the lottery. :noway:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghostface Keller

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Still a long shot, but OEL is right. The standings in the west are very tight. String together a few wins and we are back in the mix.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Still a long shot, but OEL is right. The standings in the west are very tight. String together a few wins and we are back in the mix.

Last year starting at this time through the end of the year we surged to a .564 points percentage.

We currently have 39 points.

If we have the exact same surge we'll end with 84 points.

Can that be done without Raanta?

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I don't think so.

No team is out of the race this year, therefore very few teams are already sure to be in the playoffs.

In short this is very much a dog eats dog situation, intense and tough throughout. There won't be any freebies.

It felt that some teams took us for granted last year, and I do not see a repeat of that this time around.

We are depleted. This will be a hard 3 months I think.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Last year starting at this time through the end of the year we surged to a .564 points percentage.

We currently have 39 points.

If we have the exact same surge we'll end with 84 points.

Can that be done without Raanta?

We can do it. Goaltending, even with Kuemper and Hill, has not been our problem. Defense has not been our problem. Consistent goal scoring has been the problem.

At the current pace it will take 89 pts to make the playoffs. That means we need to capture .625 of the remaining pts possible to get to 89...now that might be a problem.

But we have a chance. :eyeroll:

Win tonight and our chances go up to 11.4%. :nod:

y8qoNXS.png

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
We can do it. Goaltending, even with Kuemper and Hill, has not been our problem.

It's definitely not "the" problem in terms of being mediocre vs being horrible. But we didn't just have average of slightly + goaltending during the bounce last season we had the best goaltending in the league.
The offense last season was just about as bad as it is now.

I'm fully expecting a 2nd half bounce of some sort, or at least I was before all the injuries. But I don't think it will be as big of one. There aren't enough places inside the organization where we can improve from within. Raanta played that role last season because he was on the shelf much of the first half and took some time to shake the rust off.

I think if they were going to find some line combos that showed some chemistry they'd have found them by now. Galchenyuk heating up helps.

A few places where maybe some improvement comes from:
Stepan heats up (not optimistic)
Another call up, Merkley/Capo or something.

The organization seems hell bent on figuring out a way to send Hill back for more cooking despite his .916 sv%. So I don't think we'll see him go to another level.

Pickard comes up and he regains his previous form? Maybe. He put up some nice numbers on some bad Avalanche teams before imploding.

OEL could finally regain his goalscoring touch. We've seen indiciations of this but it still hasn't happened yet. And Tocc's system deemphasizes the point shot compared to Tips.

Something weird like KConn scoring a bunch of second half goals again?

Slim pickens for internal improvement.

Reactions: MIG

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
It still looks like 88 points will make the playoffs in the west.

The Coyotes have 43 pts with 37 games to play.

In order for us to finish with 88 we need to capture 6 out of every 10 pts available. (3 wins out of every 5 games, or 2 wins and 2 loser points every 5 games.)

If we do something like lose 5 games in a row in regulation the task becomes much more difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad