Do You Like The Current Team As Much As Recent Years?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This is a trend that is happening across most pro-sports. People realize there careers are extremely short and that things are trending younger in general. They are going to want to get their pay days as early as they can and get payed throughout their primes more.

It will be interesting how these new financial trends are discussed in the coming CBA talks.

which is why i think there should be flat contract rates (per age). they could create something - not bonuses per say - but basically, if someone performed like a 10m player, they can get paid (for that season) 10m dollars. regardless if they are Elite, or not. if you had a horrible season, (or continue to do so), you're getting paid your base salary. This would also allow a lot of the "we're okay" players not to be constantly squeezed out.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Before the rebuild, I hadn't liked the team since the early 2000's so I can't answer the question the way it's phrased. That said, as much as I liked the new team after the rebuild, I see things drifting back to something I don't particularly care for. We need more team guys and less I'm-worth-what-I'm-worth guys.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
which is why i think there should be flat contract rates (per age). they could create something - not bonuses per say - but basically, if someone performed like a 10m player, they can get paid (for that season) 10m dollars. regardless if they are Elite, or not. if you had a horrible season, (or continue to do so), you're getting paid your base salary. This would also allow a lot of the "we're okay" players not to be constantly squeezed out.

Or just allow the salary cap to make sense in terms of being able to go beyond it to keep home grown star players and give you the incentive to draft and develop them properly.

NBA has it right in that situation. They can offer more years AND money to their own players while going above the salary cap to do so.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Or just allow the salary cap to make sense in terms of being able to go beyond it to keep home grown star players and give you the incentive to draft and develop them properly.

NBA has it right in that situation. They can offer more years AND money to their own players while going above the salary cap to do so.

or that. i've advocated for both.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The team just needs to play to its strength, no holding back , and a lot that falls on Babcock.

But I will say, when Nylander was in the line-up and we were healthy, I really liked our game 5 on 5, and that was with anchors like Zaitsev, Brown(although I think he bounces back), Marleau and Hainsey.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
The salary cap definitely makes me enjoy watching the game less and less.

It's always either player x isn't living up to his contract screw him. Or being, yay he's really good but how screwed will we be when he needs a new contract.

It's like right now Marner is screwing us over but he's a great player and fun to watch. But if he gets 80 instead of 95 points next year... watch out.

next up Rielly and Andersen. Who are they going to cost us?

I doubt we will ever see another player stay with one team their whole career in one city again.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

It's always either player x isn't living up to his contract screw him. Or being, yay he's really good but how screwed will we be when he needs a new contract.

It's like right now Marner is screwing us over but he's a great player and fun to watch. But if he gets 80 instead of 95 points next year... watch out.

I doubt we will ever see another player stay with one team their whole career in one city again.

Yeah the whole narrative of you don't want players to become TOO good so as to not have to pay them a certain amount just ruins the sport for me. You need to be able to just enjoy success without constantly putting a dollar figure on the success.

But once they become that good...they absolutely better keep doing that well AND improving...as if people haven't followed this league to see that players have ups and downs and don't only develop or regress on a linear straight line.

Just like those that obsessed over winning meaningless games in 2009 to get the highest possible draft spot. People acted like we ruined our franchise because we missed out on Brayden Schenn and ended up with Kadri by winning our 82nd game. Meant absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things and probably was the best thing since Luke Schenn for JVR never happens if Brayden is here.

Reactions: ACC1224

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I bet Naz would have been a Leaf for life it is wasn't for the cap. He's from Southern ON, He seems to really like it here.

Maybe if Marner only had 70 points he'd sign for 7.5m and we could keep Gardiner or Brown or Marleau. or if KK and AJ had 15 goals instead of 20.

I guess I should have cheered against Marner all year. Oh well.

I like always had this little devil in my mind. Maybe Babs was going second level on us all to keep their production down and get a few 100k lower hit.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
The guy with like 12 thousand posts is lecturing about spending less time on this board?

I legitimately can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not.

You realize you can see how long people have been members? And I’ve been on the boards 3 years longer? Not that I any way, shape or form think that matters in life; but just pointing out the hilarity in thinking being around for the Kadri draft makes you tenured.

And a thousand posts a year is still three a day for you which is still a lot I think and more than the most people you’re saying post too much. It’s just a really bizarre message to be sending.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
People are buying into the Toronto media's garbage and allowing it to ruin what is actually the most exciting Leaf team we've seen in two decades. You need to dissociate the on-ice product from the business aspect that we've come to experience on a yearly basis.

This is a career for these players, their lives & future livelihood, and we shouldn't be turning them into villains because they are trying to secure their financial future. Just because you personally think the sum of money makes them greedy, doesn't mean they dont deserve to be compensated among their comparables.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I really disliked the Burke years, and was so happy to see Kessel and Phaneuf gone. Also pissed about the lockout.

My favourite era was the 60s, when I watched them win four Cups. Next would be the Sittler/Salming teams. Right now the current team is getting close to the appeal of the Gilmour and Sundin days. Hopefully they will get there, at least.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Look up topics from one year ago

you will find the **exact** same rhetoric

and how did it end up... out in the first round
No, most people said we were weak on D but might do well anyways due to the forwards and goaltending.

Last edited:

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Before the rebuild, I hadn't liked the team since the early 2000's so I can't answer the question the way it's phrased. That said, as much as I liked the new team after the rebuild, I see things drifting back to something I don't particularly care for. We need more team guys and less I'm-worth-what-I'm-worth guys.

They are Team guys.
They are just making sure they get paid their fare share.

When players take less money it lowers the market for other players.

So by being firm on their demands they are in fact increasing the wage of their peers.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
They are Team guys.
They are just making sure they get paid their fare share.

When players take less money it lowers the market for other players.

So by being firm on their demands they are in fact increasing the wage of their peers.

Okay but a lot of their peers are taking less for their teams and it's working out very well from a competitive point of view. For example, take a look at Boston's salaries. It's embarrassing what we're paying by comparison.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I bet Naz would have been a Leaf for life it is wasn't for the cap. He's from Southern ON, He seems to really like it here.

Maybe if Marner only had 70 points he'd sign for 7.5m and we could keep Gardiner or Brown or Marleau. or if KK and AJ had 15 goals instead of 20.

I guess I should have cheered against Marner all year. Oh well.

I like always had this little devil in my mind. Maybe Babs was going second level on us all to keep their production down and get a few 100k lower hit.

Why would you want to keep Marleau lol. None of the guys we've lost in cap trades or FA other than Kadri and maybe JVR were worth keeping over in-house options.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'll say this. Similar to the Raptors the past 3 years, its put-up or shut-up time. The only thing that matters now is playoff success. So, the excitement of young players and the regular season has largely faded away. This team is expected to and should be legitimate cup contenders. So, I'm not saying I like this team less, but for me to be pleased with their performance is a much higher standard. The most enjoyable season of the past decade was 2016/17, for the sheer fact we exceeded expectations and it was awesome to see the young guys breakthrough. Now, it is about Matthews, JT, Marner, and Willy earning their paychecks, and hopefully going deep in the playoffs. A few exciting 6-5 wins with tons of points for our stars, an 8th seed, and a 1st round knockout is now bitter-sweet.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Things I love about the team...

1. The skill level.
2. The bad contracts are off the books.
3. The depth of the forwards.
4. Position flexibility among forwards.
5. The offensive ability of the D-Core.
6. Quality goaltending.
7. The center position overall.
8. John Tavares or Morgan Reilly as Captain.
9. The potential for the power play.

Things I hate about the team...

1. The size and strength of the D-core.
2. The lack of skill + toughness combo among the forwards.
3. The inability to defend the play below the goal line in our own end.
4. The soft forecheck.
5. The proliferation of the stretch pass.
6. The memories of the power play in last year's playoffs.

I see a fun team that will put up a shit ton of goals and be a lot of fun to watch on a lot of nights as they skate teams out of the rink...

I also see a team that will be "same ol" when the playoffs hit, the assignments tighten up, the officials only call a couple penalties each game for either team, the clutching and grabbing is ignored and you have to battle in the corners, block shots, play heavy to break up the cycle, attack aggressively on the forecheck and win battles in front of the net.

Craig Button

Jul 28, 2015
You pick one. They don't have a player making more than $7.2M and they trounced us yet again.

Well, the only one that you can compare to the Leafs is Pastrnak.

Bergeron signed his contract 6 years ago. So you can’t be fool enough to be talking about that.

Krejci signed 5 years ago so again you are definitely not fool enough to be talking about that.

So let’s talk about Pastrnak.

He signed his 6 years @ 6.67 after his 3rd season in the NHL. At the time, his contract was slightly above market value.
The bruins were smart to sign him long term after his 1 good season. Pastrnak unfortunately was a moron to sign it.

This reminds me of that other moron. The guy from the Jets. What’s his face? The guy that doesn’t swear but actually curses but with dumb words. Can’t remember his name.

Scheifele. That’s it.
Look at that moron for a moment.
Signs an 8 year contract. What a dumbass.
Should have signed a 3-4 year contract.
Now, he’s gonna watch guys like Laine and Kyle Connor make more money than him.

Agents and players see this.
They know how dumb it is to sign that long of a contract.

Matthews isn’t dumb enough to sign a shitty contract like that.
Marner isn’t dumb enough to sign a contract like that.

That’s it.
It’s not that they’re not Team players it’s that they aren’t morons.

Also, just to add.
Mentioning contracts from years ago makes absolutely no sense to the point I was making that players bargaining for a better contract now benefits other players going forward.

It’s unfortunate that SOME players in the past sold themselves short.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
It isn't how I personally would construct a roster, but it is the best roster we have had and might work well.

We have 2 elite offensive d-men now, both great puckmovers and threats to score from the back end. With our top end forward talent this team will be a lot to handle. The balance of LD-RD is good, should help create more of an efficient puck possession team.

Our young guys are all still getting better. Nylander will have a bounce back year. Kerfoot and Spezza are interesting options for 3C, it will be interesting to see how that goes. The backup situation should be better this year.

Lots of positives. Still, we might not have enough stopping ability on the back-end. Let's see if Babcock can develop Ceci into something good, he may improve significantly going from that joke organization to Toronto.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Well, the only one that you can compare to the Leafs is Pastrnak.

Bergeron signed his contract 6 years ago. So you can’t be fool enough to be talking about that.

Krejci signed 5 years ago so again you are definitely not fool enough to be talking about that.

So let’s talk about Pastrnak.

He signed his 6 years @ 6.67 after his 3rd season in the NHL. At the time, his contract was slightly above market value.
The bruins were smart to sign him long term after his 1 good season. Pastrnak unfortunately was a moron to sign it.

This reminds me of that other moron. The guy from the Jets. What’s his face? The guy that doesn’t swear but actually curses but with dumb words. Can’t remember his name.

Scheifele. That’s it.
Look at that moron for a moment.
Signs an 8 year contract. What a dumbass.
Should have signed a 3-4 year contract.
Now, he’s gonna watch guys like Laine and Kyle Connor make more money than him.

Agents and players see this.
They know how dumb it is to sign that long of a contract.

Matthews isn’t dumb enough to sign a ****ty contract like that.
Marner isn’t dumb enough to sign a contract like that.

That’s it.
It’s not that they’re not Team players it’s that they aren’t morons.

Also, just to add.
Mentioning contracts from years ago makes absolutely no sense to the point I was making that players bargaining for a better contract now benefits other players going forward.

It’s unfortunate that SOME players in the past sold themselves short.

So all their signings were fortunate and our guys are "just too smart" to do the same. Gotcha.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Craig Button

Jul 28, 2015
So all their signings were fortunate and our guys are "just too smart" to do the same. Gotcha.

Unfortunately you didn’t get anything.
You went full Cathy Newman.
Never go full Cathy

ssKbmXx.gif

Reactions: yubbers

Craig Button

Jul 28, 2015

How so?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad