Do you find the Coyotes enjoyable to watch, and do you?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
After seeing a comment in a GDT a while back about how they (I don't remember who it was) doesn't enjoy actually watch the games but "box score snipes" (or something like that), I was curious how many people do this. I do about the same, though I often check the GDT first even though I'm usually not watching.

Pick which poll option is best for you - I watch the occasional game, but mostly don't even if I'd otherwise be able to.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's the third one but it's not a hard "no" as in it's completely unentertaining or anything. More like 4/10 on the scale of entertainment value.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
After seeing a comment in a GDT a while back about how they (I don't remember who it was) doesn't enjoy actually watch the games but "box score snipes" (or something like that), I was curious how many people do this. I do about the same, though I often check the GDT first even though I'm usually not watching.

Pick which poll option is best for you - I watch the occasional game, but mostly don't even if I'd otherwise be able to.

I am stuck between two choices - its obviously not fun to watch losing, and we have grown accustomed to some sense of getting the most of our team over the playoff years.

I always approach every game with the mindset of anything can happen on any given night. There were times when I would show up at the arena and could just get the feel for a victory. That happens less now for two reasons: I don't live in AZ any more and the consistency on our team is lacking. Many reasons to point to for that, whether roster, experience, or coaching. But it is fun to watch some of the little growth areas. I do have NHL Center Ice, but usually only watch about 50% of games - even when my schedule is open enough catch about 60-80% of games.

So, I guess that I would be the 2nd option, but let's face it, if you don't want to watch b/c the team's play has been less than stellar and inconsistent over the years, I understand where getting sick of seeing losses mount can drive that. Sometimes, I feel that way. But that's what comes with knowing that disappointment may happen w a loss. I'd rather watch a loss than miss a win.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm in between 3 and 4. In years past I would sit and watch every game, now I watch about half, and even then I'm usually doing something else so I'm half watching. I often miss the first period anyway due to school/work so I often check the box score and thread to see who's playing and how the game is going. Very often if the game is a 7pm start or later I fall asleep with it on.

Recently we've been much more entertaining, my answer could change to 1 or 2 depending on my schedule.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I had to be frank and pick option 3, because I don't enjoy watching a team this bad at puck possession. It gives me an ulcer watching, knowing that someone is going to hold the puck for a second too long before passing... that someone is going to do a blind drop pass that results in a turnover... that someone's going to dump it in and the forwards will dash weakly after it and get there just in time to have to turn around and laboriously skate the other way... etc.

But those are granular concerns. From a higher-level standpoint, I will always watch and attend any Coyotes games I can. After 12 years I no longer have tickets, but that was not a statement move from me or by choice - unless you count "sending kids to college" as a statement, in which case it is. :laugh: If the team stays in Arizona (big "if" at this juncture) long enough for my kids to get on their feet enough to take over expenses, I'm going to re-up my tickets. I'm too far gone as a hockey fan to get out completely.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If anyone finds them genuinely entertaining then I suggest watching other, better teams and how they play. It will look like another league.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Trap hockey is the worst kind of hockey, and unfortunately it's what Tippett's system excels at. Trap hockey when you're winning is bearable, because.. well you're winning, with the added bonus of pissing off the opposition fanbase because nobody likes trap hockey. Trollyotes was/is fun. Trap hockey when you're losing? Holy **** end my suffering.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I am hovering between 3 and 4. They've successfully turned me from a consumer spending thousands of dollars per season and rarely missed a televised away game into someone who increasingly finds other things to do with his time. I've attended fewer games this season than any other. I've already skipped watching more games this season than any other. It's just a bad product. In the past month I've watched more "other" NHL games than Coyotes games. There are entertaining NHL games, but they rarely feature a Dave Tippett featured team. This is tolerable when the team is winning, and completely unpalatable when you have a sub .300 win record over several seasons.
In fairness, the last game I watched was the most entertained I've been by the Coyotes in some time. And the kids had appropriate ice time. But blocking off 3 hours for the hockey game is no longer a priority in my household.

Feb 12, 2003
I fell into the 4th option and there are just a couple of things saving me from falling to the 5th option right now.

If there was a major trade of a young core guy like OEL or Domi that made no sense, that could be a final straw.

If Tip stays for the rest of this extension there is a good chance I will be gone because I have no faith that he can adapt to the modern NHL.

By contrast, I watched every game on TV and was a STH for multiple seasons. I was one of the people that would get groups of people to go to the game with me. I was there when Kris King scored the first regular season goal for the Coyotes at the AWA (and the first preseason game in the building). I was there at training camp for Danny Briere's draft year. I attended the rookie camps. I would travel to road games to watch the team. I sat through multiple training camps day-after-day and reported my observations here a number of years. My wife went into labor while we were at the game. I was by all considerations a die hard.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
If we're being absolutely honest?

No - I don't watch the games as a result, but look at box scores/read the GDT/etc.

But at the same time I have watched some games lately and I'd attend every single one regardless of how they are doing if I was able to. Sadly I live in Canada. Doesn't help that a lot of the games start at 10pm for me.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Enjoy it immensely
Id buy a ST to help keep NHL hockey in the valley if they were 0-82.
Id just have a blast and keep hoping.
If you have ever lived in a small town without anything like this kind of entertainment, you'd do anything within your power to help the business succeed.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Come on. Of course I enjoy going to the games. If the Coyotes are playing well I have a blast. If the other team is playing well I still enjoy watching good hockey.

As to that comment about seeing other teams play, its not as if the Coyotes are playing themselves on a video game. The inference that the Coyotes drive down the level of play of the opposition is just a canard.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I love watching all the games. I record the games and I don't cheat and check box score before I watch the game, it's just more fun that way.

I had to choose 3 because I want Tippett gone, but I still enjoy the games, I'd just enjoy the games more if we had another coach. Tippett plays old-style NJ Devil hockey.

Anyway, I never miss a game, and although in years past I was a STH and had to stop because of the kids hockey, as soon as he's not playing aging out I'll be back to being a STH, and hopefully by then we've got a different coach and a more open style system.

One can dream.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
A lot of games have been really tough to watch this year. I just wish we played a more entertaining style of hockey.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I enjoy watching certain players:
I enjoy watching Max Domi have success
I enjoy watching Anthony Duclair have success
I enjoy watching Anthony DeAngelo have success
I enjoy watching Jakob Chychrun have success
I enjoy watching Brendan Perlini have success
I enjoy watching the likes of Fischer, Domingue, Crouse, Rieder, and Martinook have success.

I still like seeing OEL have success, but i know he's pretty much a sure bet to remain successful.

I'm happy to see when the likes of Smith, Doan, and Hanzal are successful, don't get me wrong...but it has become somewhat old hat. I am reminded of their tendencies that are either reminiscent of "old time hockey," a style that has been almost completely phased out by most successful teams these days making it redundantly ineffective, or their tendecies of embarrasing actions, injuries, etc.

Doan has been a soldier. Never complains, has his team's back, and has been a great leader. He's just getting older. Can't fault him for that. Is he really that exciting to watch anymore? No. Am i happy to see him get rewarded? Absolutely. He's the exception to my previous statement.

If it isn't evident by now, i root for the players that have promise of bringing us the style of hockey that can actually keep up with today's NHL.

Vrbata actually gives a ****. He's cool too.

After all is said and done...I just can't get behind what Dave Tippett is doing. I may not **** on him as much as others do on here, but my patience with his style of play he is trying to sell us by shoving it down our throats, convincing us it "has worked before, so it's bound to work again" has been completely worn thin. In fact it's vanished. I absolutely cannot get behind what he's doing. Thus, i can't fully get behind this team.

So...to answer your question, no. I really don't enjoy watching the Coyotes. But i always will, because this is my team.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I don't prioritize watching the Coyotes. If there's a UofA basketball game, or I get offered to do anything else then I do that instead. But if I'm sitting at home, I'll turn it on TV.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Went with option 3, but I do occasionally enjoy some games (even ones we lose). Of course this is largely due to my work schedule changing (I work more of a morning schedule whereas I used work in the afternoon/evening). This is not to excuse some of the owner shenanigans/coaching strategies/player indifferences, but I guess everything combined pushes me to the "no"

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I enjoy the hell out of it! Can it get a little tough at times? Of course, but it's the tough times that make the good times all the better. A recent financial blip has me considering not getting tix next season, but I'm struggling with the thought of not going. Considering less expensive seats, but reality is I'd be best off not going, more than likely I'll find another way to ride out the blip, but even if I don't, I'll watch every game, home and away.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It's the third one but it's not a hard "no" as in it's completely unentertaining or anything. More like 4/10 on the scale of entertainment value.
Same here, I only voted yes to throw in a little positivity.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I am hovering between 3 and 4. They've successfully turned me from a consumer spending thousands of dollars per season and rarely missed a televised away game into someone who increasingly finds other things to do with his time. I've attended fewer games this season than any other. I've already skipped watching more games this season than any other. It's just a bad product. In the past month I've watched more "other" NHL games than Coyotes games. There are entertaining NHL games, but they rarely feature a Dave Tippett featured team. This is tolerable when the team is winning, and completely unpalatable when you have a sub .300 win record over several seasons.
In fairness, the last game I watched was the most entertained I've been by the Coyotes in some time. And the kids had appropriate ice time. But blocking off 3 hours for the hockey game is no longer a priority in my household.

This...and I turn off the games I don't attend, more often than I watch them to completion.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Option 3 for me. They're unenjoyable to me more because they're bad than because of their playing style, though. Their style was certainly more boring during their WCF run, but I'd rather watch a boring but successful team than a high-event basement dweller.

And this year more than ever, they're more fun to watch the less I read these boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad