Do you believe our "window" to win the Cup is still open?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
nah, everyone had fun following a team that had a chance every year. I'll take that over being perpetually mediocre.

Yeah, it's been a great ride the last number of years. Sure a cup would have been the best thing ever but it's still been well worth the ride.

Tifosi

Feb 6, 2006
The window is closing fast, Canucks inability to stay healthy is what stopping them from winning. Every damn season a key player is injured and it's not because of bad luck. I think the players are not taking care of themselves it doesn't help the trainers are incompetent.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
The window is closing fast, Canucks inability to stay healthy is what stopping them from winning. Every damn season a key player is injured and it's not because of bad luck. I think the players are not taking care of themselves it doesn't help the trainers are incompetent.

OMG there could not be a truer statement than this. The team is always freaking injured! just once I'd like to see them go in and stay healthy throughout like the Kings last year, or the Bruins before that, or the Blackhawks before them, or the penguins in 2009... the healthiest team usually wins come June.

Why is this francise so cursed!! Anyways great post Henrik.

John Bender*

I urge all Canuck fans to boycott Marc Spector - who is obviously a Oilers fan and is again attempting to troll Canuck fans with his latest article. I never read it as I won't give him the traffic - nor should any of you.

Another classic example of an absurd media personality hired by Sportsnet. They really need to makeover their on air talent. The only thing I will watch that they offer is Sportsnet News at 10pm (since Taylor is the host) and any Canuck broadcast.

(I also urge you to avoid reading the Oiler hockeybuzz blogger, who is paid based on the traffic hits he gets. He is a ridiculous man).

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
There is a part of me that thinks that with a 48 game schedule, no 2nd line, and a fairly deep draft this year, it wouldn't be the worst thing if we tanked this year. ... But no, that would suck and would be a waste of a year in which the Sedins are both healthy and still in their primes.

John Bender*

Is this a serious statement? Bad trainers and players that don't take care of themselves? Huh?

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
RC_window.jpg

It's shut. We had our chance with this core and blew it.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
lol funny how I mention about the canucks window slowly closing and about how they will shine soon in my speech on "Why the Canucks are the next canadian team to win the Stanley cup." I believe the Canucks still do have time though. Although I feel that this season will be a little rocky.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
This is the year the Canucks pull a Chelsea, who were expected to win the Champions League with their core in their prime but bad luck and bad officiating always kept them from the promised land. With the old guard getting on in age, nobody expected much from them in the CL last season.

But a glorious run on the road all the way to Munich had everyone calling them a team of destiny. It culminated in them winning ol' big ears when nobody expected it, and their previous bad luck was now paid back in full.

Gary Neville said it then, and I'll say it now, "It is written in the stars." It's the Canucks turn.

John Bender*

RC_window.jpg

It's shut. We had our chance with this core and blew it.

To be honest, I don't get why everyone is saying that. If the team manages to make the playoffs and they get a healthy Kesler and Booth in the lineup.........they are as close as anyone.

They are incredibly deep (despite what Craig Button says) on defense. They have outstanding goaltending and up front they ice a Hart Trophy Winner, An Art Ross winner and a Selke winner - all not too far removed from those exploits.

I like the Canucks defense and goaltending more this year than last......they are maybe a top 6 forward away from being right at the top again.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
To be honest, I don't get why everyone is saying that. If the team manages to make the playoffs and they get a healthy Kesler and Booth in the lineup.........they are as close as anyone.

They are incredibly deep (despite what Craig Button says) on defense. They have outstanding goaltending and up front they ice a Hart Trophy Winner, An Art Ross winner and a Selke winner - all not too far removed from those exploits.

I like the Canucks defense and goaltending more this year than last......they are maybe a top 6 forward away from being right at the top again.

Can't believe the doom and gloom - we pretty much have the same team that won the president's trophy, yet we should start to rebuild? We were missing a star player in Daniel that made beating the LA Kings much tougher, and gave them a pretty good run for their money. I expect VCR to win the division, and I hope we can pick up a good piece for Luo.

John Bender*

Can't believe the doom and gloom - we pretty much have the same team that won the president's trophy, yet we should start to rebuild? We were missing a star player in Daniel that made beating the LA Kings much tougher, and gave them a pretty good run for their money. I expect VCR to win the division, and I hope we can pick up a good piece for Luo.

If Vancouver (sorry Y2K) had played Corey from game 1 and had Daniel in the lineup, I think that's a 7 game series and maybe even a series victory. Let us not forget Kesler was hobbled - I still contend that a healthy team is just as good as any competitor out there.

KidCanuck*

We don't have a window, we have a way of life. We have modeled our franchise after Detroit. Every year for the last 10 years they have been asking if the Red Wings window is closing, and it never does. Do things the right way and you don't have a window. If your good enough to make it to the 16 team dance, anything can happen from there. I refuse to watch or read anything Mark Spector has to say. He was picked on in school by athletes. He sits under his stairs in the dark drenched in a wet shower curtain paining his nails pink in his mothers high heels.

John Bender*

We don't have a window, we have a way of life. We have modeled our franchise after Detroit. Every year for the last 10 years they have been asking if the Red Wings window is closing, and it never does. Do things the right way and you don't have a window. If your good enough to make it to the 16 team dance, anything can happen from there. I refuse to watch or read anything Mark Spector has to say. He was picked on in school by athletes. He sits under his stairs in the dark drenched in a wet shower curtain paining his nails pink in his mothers high heels.

The up and coming young players are dwindling though............if/when the Twins decline/retire the team may be in for a bit of hurt.

John Bender*

So is Gomez worth throwing $1 -1.5M at? Sign Redden for $800 K for a depth D man?

We don't need a depth d-man, plus I suspect Redden will go where he thinks he will play more. Gomez was written off as something the Canucks have no interest in by AV last night.

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Still open... but you can't "audition" a 2nd line. Audition a player or two throughout the lineup (Schroeder) with NHL talent, but this team isn't going anywhere with Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian as the 2nd line for anything more then 2 weeks.

If that can be solved, all this team needs to do is sneak into playoffs to do damage, ala LA. The chemistry and talent is already there.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Playoffs? Yes they'll make it.

Being healthy is a massive if. And Booth can be the healthiest man in the world and will still suck.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I think this is it this year. The last of the team's value contracts expire at the end of this season, all of the team's key forwards are on the wrong side of the aging curve, there is little push from prospects below becoming quality NHLers in the short term (especially up front - Kassian and Jensen are a few years away from being quality players if they reach that point), and they will have to deal with a declining salary cap going forward (which is tougher in this team's case because they don't have any noticeably bad contracts other than Ballard's).

You could have said this about the Canucks defense a few years ago with an aging Salo, Ohlund and Mitchell. Then we sign 2 outstanding dmen in Hamhuis and Garrison and the backend is solidified longterm.

I would say the window is open as long as the Sedins are in Vancouver and playing well in a top 6 role. Even if they regress into 60-70 point players, that doesn't mean the Canucks won't be able to score enough goals. Look at the Bruins forward corps in their cup winning year as an example. Nobody over 62 points...

This 'window' would have been more limited had we held onto Luongo. With Schneider, it extends it if he stays in Vancouver.

Too much uncertainty to say the Canucks only have a couple more years. Trades, free agency and rapid, unexpected development from prospects could really change the look of this team.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I think the window, like always is closing as we speak. If Gillis was counting on moving Luongo for a repair kit type return, he may have erred. It may well emerge that he is being patient and will gain a stunning overpayment, but this seems like wishful thinking right now.

If Gillis is able to get a young center (Getzlaf, lol!) for Luongo, or even Luongo and Edler, the franchise is in good shape and may contend this season.

If Gillis cannot get a useful return he can keep the group together and try to carry a full roster into the playoffs. If he does this, I think he is overvaluing the current forward corps. The start of the season is pretty tough for Vancouver. They see Anahiem twice in the first four games. Game six is against the Kings. The team's compete level should be known by then, or game eight against Chicago. If they aren't playing well, Gillis is in a panic situation and this will impact the market. He must act, now, or be forced into uncomfortable positioning this summer after a bad season. Imagine the market value of Canuck goalies if the team cannot recover from a poor start and finish out of the playoffs! The window can be declared closed for certain, at that point.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
Honestly as long as this team is a playoff team it'll have a shot at winning the cup.

Who would have guessed the Devils being in the finals last year and remember they lost two overtime games to start that series against LA.

There are certain pieces on this team that'll keep them in the playoff window. Our defence and goaltending still has a solid 3-5 years in them and up front we've got enough there that should keep us in the playoff mix for at least 3-5 years.

What this team looks like 5 years down the road is anyones guess. Who knows what the cap will be, what trades are made and what prospects we'll end up developing into NHL players 5 years from now.

With that being said our biggest concern has to be up front. If the offence starts to drop significantly over the next 5 years then things will be tough.

Honestly though as long as this team is a playoff team they'll be in the mix.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah right!

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
As long as our forwards suddenly get hot and Schneider plays out of his mind in the playoffs, we have a chance just like any other team going to the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad