Do obviously overpaid players cause locker room rifts?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I would bet a lot or money that a player who gets a big contract and puts in the effort is generally well liked in the locker room. In general, in pro sports, players like it when other players get paid. Let the front office figure out how to fit the money under the cap.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It depends on their interpersonal relationships, and I imagine there are big differences in how "cap conscious" and on the pulse of a 300 foot view of how a team fits into the overall picture of the NHL from a capologist standpoint. There may be a couple of guys on the Oilers thinking "our team is limited from making more moves because Nurse is overpaid for what he brings, this will make it harder to win the Cup" but a lot of other guys don't worry about it and just focus on what's in front of them.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Todd McLellan gave an interview at the beginning of 22-23 where he stated that some Kings prospects in Ontario were vocally upset that they were sent down at the end of camp in favor of players with one-way deals who they had obviously outplayed.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
It seems like on the whole hockey players seem to have the "hey good for him" attitude when it comes to another players contract stuff. If they even comment at all. I would guess if there is any kind of resentment towards a bloated contract it would be directed at their GM for negotiating the unsavory deal.

I have no doubt there are the players that have a little sour grape in their whine, but I would guess they are a minority and wouldn't get much locker room support. Especially if the player is well liked and still puts in the effort and just for whatever reason it's not clicking.
Lolol Ryan Sutter? The same Ryan Sutter who had been bought out twice in recent years lol
Nope I think those are two different people. We have enough Sutters in hockey, we don't need more. ;)

A couple of things I learned about Ryan during his time in Minnesota. He does not have a whole lot of self awareness ad he thinks he is above everything around him. So yeah I could totally see him talking trash about someone else completely oblivious to his own contract situation(s). Or for any reason really. Nashville fans were spot on about him after he dipped out on them. He's a world class s**theel.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I don't think so. They may think someone is overpaid but I doubt they would ever publicly say anything within the team about it or make an issue with the other player because of it. If a player ever did make an issue of it I am sure a coach or GM would put them in their place pretty quickly. Maybe if a player wasn't in shape or not putting in effort that would create an issue but not a players salary in general.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Was this supposedly in Minnesota or Dallas?

I’ve heard people mention this before but never saw any concrete reporting of it. Not saying it’s untrue, but would be interested to read the reporting if you can find!
It was even at the Predators. Jason Arnott talked sh** about him. It was in one of these podcasts.

Edit: it's under 3 minutes in where Arnott says Suter was talking about how some players made too much

Reactions: stl76

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
No. As soon as players gets into their first contract negotiation winning becomes secondary and will stay secondary until they've at the end of their careers and have not won a cup.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I’m not sure if that’s always the case but in one instance a player was traded to Washington because he’s overpaid.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
It's good for them. Salaries have risen substantially over the last ten years and overpaid players are huge reason.

Its not good for the players not overpaid. Players get 50% of the revenue, so all salaries determine is how that 50% is divided up. Players being overpaid means there is less money available for other players.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Its not good for the players not overpaid. Players get 50% of the revenue, so all salaries determine is how that 50% is divided up. Players being overpaid means there is less money available for other players.
Good thing revenue is through the roof, then. The only time they struggled was the year and change right in the middle of the pandemic. The league set a revenue record in 21-22 and again in 22-23. They just signed a $2.8B tv deal. The league is doing amazing.

The only thing that hasn't gone up is the cap because reasons, but supposedly, it's finally going to start going up.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Good thing revenue is through the roof, then. The only time they struggled was the year and change right in the middle of the pandemic. The league set a revenue record in 21-22 and again in 22-23. They just signed a $2.8B tv deal. The league is doing amazing.

The only thing that hasn't gone up is the cap because reasons, but supposedly, it's finally going to start going up.
Yeah I don't really disagree with any of this. Just pointing out that certain players being overpaid does not help the rest of the players.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I keep wondering this. Do players who genuinely want to win look down on players with terrible contracts, to the point where it can affect the locker room and team morale?

I would think that hungry Oilers players would be pissed looking at Nurse's contract, and the fact he's not living up to it, and seeing that wasted cap space.
If a teammate is openly dogging it, it will come up. Nurse isn't dogging it. He's just overpaid and money doesn't come up in strong locker rooms.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
WRONG. Not when those 'others' behavior affects your life, or in this case, chances to win a championship.

When people say the Oilers are 'one player away' and look at Nurse's contract as a big reason why they can't afford said player.
Is this Ceci’s account?? Lol

Couldn’t you have told Darnell directly how you felt?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The Masks We Wear.

I imagine at the rink, in the locker room or with the media - not a bad word spoken about it.

You're driving home or talking with your GF/wife or dog...I bet there's some resentment. Like I would be pissed if I was Hyman coming in at 5.5mil potting either PPG or 50+ goals while looking at Nurse with his anchor $9.25mil. He might not say anything but I can't imagine that doesn't irk him a bit.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
In a cap system, if one player gets overpaid, it potentially takes away from other players' salaries. Let's say you're a borderline NHL player. You've got one shot on a 2-4 year contract to make your bank. Now you're reduced by $1,000,000/year because a now not so great star held out and forced the team to take on a bad contract. I can imagine there'd be a significant degree of resentment there.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Hockey teams seem like tight workplaces, so I bet if someone dislikes someone for this reason they might very well keep quiet about it, especially since the heftily paid player might be a veteran player with a lot of internal clout. Whining too much about a colleague's salary also might not benefit you within the group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad