Do fans ever switch teams when relocating?

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
As I watched the Wings suck from the comfort of Georgia, I wondered if, and how often a hockey fan might change allegiance when they relocate to another NHL city? Have you ever seen it?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
As I watched the Wings suck from the comfort of Georgia, I wondered if, and how often a hockey fan might change allegiance when they relocate to another NHL city? Have you ever seen it?

Yeah, it happens all the time.

When you move to a new city - it's very easy to become a fan of the new city you're in. Especially if that team is doing well at that time, and you get caught up in it. Over time, sometimes that new team becomes your favorite, and althouhg you still like your old team, a little less.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I was a Wings fan when I was young, moved to Florida as a kid, and, once they got a team became a Cats fan. Mostly because their games were on local cable.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think depends how invested you are in your team. I will be a Leafs fan for life even if I ever relocate away from Toronto. It will be impossible to develop the same connection with a new team.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I have been a Sharks fan since day one, but when I moved to Columbus 20 years ago, I've slowly become a 51/49 Sharks/Blue Jackets fan and the time zone difference is a big reason.
The only time I don't want the Jackets to win is when I hope for an OT loss against the Sharks.

If they ever met in the finals.......a looooong time from now.....I would want the Sharks to win.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Have I've seen it?

Plenty of times, especially in Florida with transplants from the N.E.

Been to games at the BBT and run into fans that are still fans of their former home town but root for the Panthers for 90% of their games.

Reactions: DaveG

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
I asked this question regarding the Nordiques and Avs especially with that throwback Nords sweater the Avs donned and the answers I got from many were that Colorado were vultures and thieves so that's one example I've encountered. Not all Quebec fans, mind.

MangoX

Jul 2, 2009
Montreal
I couldn't cheer for any other team besides the habs. By that, I lived in Kitchener for a few years, then moved to Newmarket for a few years. Never stopped cheering for the habs, despite annoying my 100% Leafs friends. I am now back in the beautiful province of Quebec.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I have been a long time Dallas fan and lived there for about 25 years before i moved to Colorado a few years back. While i follow the Avs i still root for Dallas which as you can image gets me hecklers when i wear my stars gear,.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Well of course I've seen it, he's me.

Started off a Whalers fan as a kid (Francis was my favorite player).

Mid 90s when I lived in the Finger Lakes area I followed the Penguins since I could get their radio broadcast, had family in the Pittsburgh area, and they had Francis.

96 moved to Raleigh. 97 the Whale becomes the Canes and moves to NC. The next year they sign Francis and I make the move to being a Canes fan full time.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
When I moved from Montreal to Ottawa 15 years ago I didn't. I might follow the Sens a little more than before but nothing compared to the Habs.

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
With amount of access you have to the teams via internet it’s easier to continue the fandom of a team if you move.

I’m a Canadiens fan in Massachusetts. It’s a family thing to route for the team. I think fandom like that won’t change because of a relocation

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
I think depends how invested you are in your team. I will be a Leafs fan for life even if I ever relocate away from Toronto. It will be impossible to develop the same connection with a new team.
Yeah, I cant see myself switching under any circumstances. I'll be a Wings fan for life, no matter what.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
And as a side note to this, I have been debating coworkers about whether or not someone can easily switch team allegiance is a dating 'red flag', in that someone like that is more likely to be a cheater. It's fascinating the wide range of opinion on this.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
I've seen a lot of parents pick up the local team as a second team because their kids start rooting for the local team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad