Do any of the draft dmen have a higher ceiling than Guhle or Reinbacher?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do any of the draft dmen have a higher ceiling than Guhle or Reinbacher?

• Guhle

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Reinbacher

Votes: 14 11.3%
  • Levshunov

Votes: 69 55.6%
  • Buium

Votes: 84 67.7%
  • Dickinson

Votes: 91 73.4%
  • Silayev

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Parekh

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Yakemchuk

Votes: 24 19.4%

• Total voters

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Reinbacher would probably be the 3rd or 4th defenseman drafted in this year's draft tbh

Disagree, my explanation :

In my opinion,

Buium, Parekh and Silayev have higher ceiling than Guhle. Reinbacher is in the tier with the highest upside.

Dickinson, Levshunov are more in lines with Guhle.

[/QUOTE]

I will justify my point with that :

Buium, Silayev, Parekh and Reinbacher (draft year) performance are in uncharted territory. There is no recent exemple of a young defenseman performing like them at the same age in their league.

Silayev and Reinbacher are the first DY dman to play those type of minutes in this fashion in their respective league.

Buium and Parekh have totally eclipsed what we have seen from former DY dman in their own league ainec. Buium DY >> Power DY for example.

It then becomes harder to attach a ceiling to this type of performance and the upside becomes massive, massive. Although it means nothing for the floor.

As for Levshunov, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, it is more in line with what we have seen in former years. Prospect with similar profile have amounted to very good players but we are not in the category of special talent.

But there is another level of potential and upside with the players that perform in uncharted territory.

It is the reason why i am higher on the defenseman in this class then the forward, Lindstrom, Sennecke, Tij, Catton, their performance are more in-line with what we have seen from previous prospects. Very good profile. Top prospect. The ultimate upside is lower tno

Example of player who did uncharted things in their DY : Bedard, Slafkovsky, Michkov, Jack Hughes, Auston Matthews, Dahlin are all players who had "uncharted" performance in their DY.

It means nothing in term of floor, but when having a player in "uncharted territory", the ceiling becomes sky high.

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
I find the idea of having Buium and Hutson on the same team extremely intriguing. I don't know if it would work, but if it did.......man that would be a fun team to watch.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I find the idea of having Buium and Hutson on the same team extremely intriguing. I don't know if it would work, but if it did.......man that would be a fun team to watch.
Personally, I think it would be devastatingly bad for our goals against and win/loss record

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
I remember one of our prospect being compared to Weber on this board (not talking about le jeune vébert).
Was it Guhle ?

InAG-P

Jun 19, 2003
T.O.
Visit site
So much recency bias in this poll. I've literally heard Proman and folks compare some of the Dmen in this draft to Guhle.

That said, I feel it's less about upside, but more what we have in the system. Beyond Hutson, we don't have pure offensive puck movers....

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
So much recency bias in this poll. I've literally heard Proman and folks compare some of the Dmen in this draft to Guhle.

That said, I feel it's less about upside, but more what we have in the system. Beyond Hutson, we don't have pure offensive puck movers....

Pronman has also said Montreal isn't strong enough at any position to fixate on taking a forward at this draft and that Guhle and Reinbacher don't look like stars. That they should take a D if they think they can be a 1D.

I think a lot of fans are making assumptions on managements preference in drafting a forward with all things being equal. The Habs will take a D if they think that D is the best pick there, because while Montreal may have the most young NHLer/prospect depth in the league, they don't have as much elite talent as other rebuilding teams (like the Jackets, Ducks, Blackhawks, Sabres, etc.)

Reactions: themilosh

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I disagree. Look at how many young D were signed to big contracts around the league and now are not living up to them. I like Guhle, but on a better team I think he settles in as a top 4 dman. It's possible he keeps getting better, and that he ends up a top pairing guy and becomes a star, but to me it looks more likely that he loses minutes to the guys coming up behind him or acquired via trade.

We'll have to wait and see what happens.
Did you ever think that on a better team he'd be even better?
I don't think we give Guhle enough credit for what he accomplished this past season.
It can't be easy playing RD alongside Mike Matheson in the man on man system we prefer to play.
Guhle is arguably our best penalty killer and is certainly the one dman we have on the PK who actually pressures the puck.
I've seen him press the D far more than our forwards on some nights which is refreshing considering we are usually so passive.

Reactions: themilosh

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Buium has the potential to be infinitely better than Ghule or Reinbacher.

If there is a D-man prospect to reach Makar's level in the last 7-8 years, it's him.

The teams outside the top 2 passing on him will regret it for a very long time.
If Demidov and Lindstrom are gone by 5OA, I'd go Buuim or Iginla. No way way would I take Sennecke at 5.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
In my opinion,

Buium, Parekh and Silayev have higher ceiling than Guhle. Reinbacher is in the tier with the highest upside.

Dickinson, Levshunov are more in lines with Guhle.
I may be alone in my scepticism about Parekh’s upside. I’ve watched him often this year when following Beck’s progress. I would be shocked if this light, physically adverse and less than stellar skating defenceman has an impactful NHL career. And sickened if we take him at 5 OA

Reactions: mdk

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Personally, I think it would be devastatingly bad for our goals against and win/loss record
Hutson, maybe. Buium’s shutdown ability might be as good as his offense, but you’d have to have watched more than highlight videos to know that.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I may be alone in my scepticism about Parekh’s upside. I’ve watched him often this year when following Beck’s progress. I would be shocked if this light, physically adverse and less than stellar skating defenceman has an impactful NHL career. And sickened if we take him at 5 OA

100% agree. I totally dislike him and would be sickened if he is our pick at 5 too.

But my opinion can't get past what he did offensively this year.

The floor is lower than probably any other prospect in the top 10. But one have to admit that the upside is that high.

I mean, if you ask me what the best offensive dman of the NHL should look like in his draft year, it may look something like Parekh.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Buium has the potential to be infinitely better than Ghule or Reinbacher.

If there is a D-man prospect to reach Makar's level in the last 7-8 years, it's him.

The teams outside the top 2 passing on him will regret it for a very long time.
There will be a lot of teams lamenting passing on a number of players. No more so than passing on Yakemchuk. Such is the extraordinary depth of this draft.

Reactions: DAChampion

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
100% agree. I totally dislike him and would be sickened if he is our pick at 5 too.

But my opinion can't get past what he did offensively this year.

The floor is lower than probably any other prospect in the top 10. But one have to admit that the upside is that high.

I mean, if you ask me what the best offensive dman of the NHL should look like in his draft year, it may look something like Parekh.
This is not the draft, nor is this team in a position, to assume such risk. If offensive production is the major criteria, then Yakemchuk, with 30 goals and 71 points for a weak WHL team, who is much bigger/stronger than Parekh, and is an elite skater, is the player to go after. As I have posted, Yakemchuck may well turn out to be the best defenceman taken in this draft.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
This is not the draft, nor is this team in a position, to assume such risk. If offensive production is the major criteria, then Yakemchuk, with 30 goals and 71 points for a weak WHL team, who is much bigger/stronger than Parekh, and is an elite skater, is the player to go after. As I have posted, Yakemchuck may well turn out to be the best defenceman taken in this draft.

I don't think the major criteria should be defined as offensive production but as upside.

Imo, there is a couple of player that should be available at 5 that fits the criteria better than Parekh

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I disagree. Look at how many young D were signed to big contracts around the league and now are not living up to them. I like Guhle, but on a better team I think he settles in as a top 4 dman. It's possible he keeps getting better, and that he ends up a top pairing guy and becomes a star, but to me it looks more likely that he loses minutes to the guys coming up behind him or acquired via trade.

We'll have to wait and see what happens.

You are losing site of the fact that dmen his age who start making big money early often disappoint because they are still 3-4 years away from hitting their stride. You can not just assume that the lack of instant success is a harbinger of future underachievement.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I don't think the major criteria should be defined as offensive production but as upside.

Imo, there is a couple of player that should be available at 5 that fits the criteria better than Parekh
I suspect that any team drafting Parekh in the top 12 will have a severe case of buyer’s remorse.

Reactions: DAChampion

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
If the draft team targets Buium and feels he has number 1D upside, I would have no issues with it.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
If we draft Buium, it's bc Hugo has made a trade for a forward using Lane Hutson.
Personally, I wouldn’t be so quick to pull the trigger on a trade like that, even if we took Buium, unless we were getting a really, really good young forward in return.

I think the smarter plan would be to take the year to see more of what we have in Hutson, while Buium plays another year in college. There’s no reason to rush things.

After that, we could decide what to do on the trade front with the LD logjam. It would also give us more time to see if Xhekaj and Guhle take another step forward or not.

Reactions: 1909 and themilosh

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
I think and important thing to remember is how the game will translate, I somewhat expect for at least the first bit that Dickinson will have the same issue Ghule had. Both look incredibly physical at the Junior level but Ghule while still physical has become much more dependant on his sense and speed as his strength could overpower junior players but wasn’t ready for pro hockey. Likely a short term problem but the ability to adapt from what worked in junior is important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad