Player Discussion: Dmitri Voronkov

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
So it begs the question:

How interested is he in doing the work required to be successful in the NHL? He's already contemplated going home once. He spent an entire year here with no family and unable to speak the language. How dedicated is he to spending a summer working harder on his conditioning and weight loss to do it all over again?
Its not really about working harder as it is changing his goal. If people dont think it takes a stupid amount of work to build that amount of mass while being an athlete they are out to lunch. He'll need to sacrifice some size and strength for speed and endurance. He'll have to mess around with that until he finds where he feels he gets the best of both worlds. I wouldnt be surprised if he shows up next year closer to 225lbs

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
From strictly hockey career POV, leaving seems to make zero sense for Voronkov. There's a good opening for him to play himself into a big role and the resulting earnings.

If he really wants to go back home then that's a thing you really can't do much about, but I get the vibe this is much talk about nothing and he has no intention of going back.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How does a 240-250lb man have those legs? :laugh:

Well he's probably back down to 220 or so, we were thinking that earlier in the year after his conditioning stint.

Hockey player legs are funny in general. You could line up every NHLer by speed and look at their legs, and I'm not sure if there would be much of a correlation. Some guys with big legs, some with thin legs.

Reactions: LJ7

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Well he's probably back down to 220 or so, we were thinking that earlier in the year after his conditioning stint.

Hockey player legs are funny in general. You could line up every NHLer by speed and look at their legs, and I'm not sure if there would be much of a correlation. Some guys with big legs, some with thin legs.
Yeah, definitely looking rather lean in that pic

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
He trained with this coach before this season too.

Even 240 lbs guy can have thin legs. Also let's not forget the bones, there are people who have them heavy, which adds weight to them.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

One thing I have noticed is the little guys (Gerbe, Atkinson, etc) tend to have incredibly muscular legs.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
One thing I have noticed is the little guys (Gerbe, Atkinson, etc) tend to have incredibly muscular legs.
I found myself standing in the hallway back of house one time, maybe 2017 or so, in a fairly large group that included Atkinson and Foligno both, within arm's length of both of them. Atkinson was built like a bulkhead, but Foligno was actually quite slim and almost graceful-looking. I remember being surprised how that contrasted with them on the ice.

It's probably because short guys have short legs and they have to work harder to keep up on the ice. Contrast that with Laine, who's so tall he barely looks like he's trying when he skates.

Reactions: CBJx614

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

And I’d wager all have pretty good leg press #s

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I found myself standing in the hallway back of house one time, maybe 2017 or so, in a fairly large group that included Atkinson and Foligno both, within arm's length of both of them. Atkinson was built like a bulkhead, but Foligno was actually quite slim and almost graceful-looking. I remember being surprised how that contrasted with them on the ice.

It's probably because short guys have short legs and they have to work harder to keep up on the ice. Contrast that with Laine, who's so tall he barely looks like he's trying when he skates.
But mostly they are excellent skaters with excellent acceleration, they have short muscles. That's why they look like that.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Depends on many things like genetics and I get that hes tall but clearly those are underdeveloped legs. You can think of any great puck protector that has the balance and strength Crosby/Jagr/Sundin and youd see correlation. For speed? Depends a lot of how they train and what type of muscles are dominate. Could just be a case of higher amount of slow twitch muscles.

Athletes arent always great in the gym, infact many of them are great despite it

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Helps to distribute weight across a 6'5" frame or whatever it is. He's broad and tall and we know muscle weighs more than fat. I also suspect he's closer to 220 than 240 in that picture.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
OMG, he's going to destroy someone next year. :oops:

(Also, this is what I always respect about pro athletes, I can never do all that gym stuff haha)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Inverted rows are a great exercise. Nice and controlled movements by Voronkov too. No idea how far into his workout he is so I wont comment much on form but yeah, good thing to add to your workout if you havent done them before. I will say its easy to see that hes training with a former bodybuilder, I would love to know what his training as a whole looks like. Im more suprised hockey players dont train more with olympic lifters but maybe the dude training him is pretty well rounded

Reactions: CBJx614

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Inverted rows are a great exercise. Nice and controlled movements by Voronkov too. No idea how far into his workout he is so I wont comment much on form but yeah, good thing to add to your workout if you havent done them before. I will say its easy to see that hes training with a former bodybuilder, I would love to know what his training as a whole looks like. Im more suprised hockey players dont train more with olympic lifters but maybe the dude training him is pretty well rounded
Dmitri Yashankin coached Ilya Kovalchuk, was a strength & conditioning coach of Team Russia on OG (Russia won silver). Also he coached many hockey players.

Here is a video about trainings with Voronkov, Radulov and Tarasov (a forward) in the last preseason. There are English subtitles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad