Prospect Info: Discussion on previous prospects where things went wrong

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
In the rumour and proposal discussion we have slightly gotten off track with Schremp discussion and how things went with him.

if the mods do no think this is thread worthy--they can nuke it. I figure instead of bickering in the other thread over prospects where things went wrong and the how and why's of it--I thought maybe having one thread where we look at players like Omark, Schremp, Gagner, Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson and others to discuss and learn where the development of players went right and wrong.

Schremp is one of the prospects where for nearly 5 years there was close to trench warfare between the pro-schremp group and the Schremp sucks group(which I anointed myself leader of).

for me Schremp is a prospect who people saw what they wanted to see and played down what concerned others. I was was firmly on the Schremp sucks group 24 hours after the draft when more info came out as to why he went from being a top 5 pick in September of his draft year to being listed as late as a 4th on some teams lists. He had a bad attitude and had what I would call soft numbers (the tough minutes and the guy who had the hardest playing time on the team was Dave Bolland). But it was Schremps off ice attitude that the more I learned about the more I disliked the kid. He surrounded himself with yes people and had bought into his hype early on in his draft year. In the interview process other teams later said they had a lot of red lights with the how the kid thought of himself and how good he was. The one comment i read was something like "Confidence is good--ego mania is bad" and it was really in the interview stage of the predraft that Schremp started falling down other teams draft list

The Great Omark--again-- Maybe because I live in Europe and saw the guy play a lot---he was a guy who I bashed before he stepped foot in North America--i sid at the time and still say now--too soft for the NHL and could not put up with the NHL physical aspect of the game--he looks good on the big ice where he picked his spots and in the NHL his style of play just did not mix well and his attitude sucked like Schremp. With Omark there is one thing that still cracks me up, when I went to Sweden to see him play--the fan club for Lulua hated him and could not wait for him to leave. Swedes usually do not bash their home grown talent--in his case the most often comment was "he plays for money and not love of the game". Might shock some of you--Swedes love hockey just as much as Canadians.

Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson this is the one that hurts me--When he played with Timra, I saw him and Lander play together I thought both would be NHL killers. Here is one pick where I blame the oilers in how they handled him for how things turn out. They brought both him and Lander over too early and rushed them into the NHL with little or no support.

Sam Gagner--he should have went back to junior for another year

The two other first rounder we had after Gagner in 2007--Plante and Nash. With Plante it is simple--the scouts saw him as a raw talent at 6-3 and he hoped he would develop-he could not skate. Nash? We may never get the full story. But the version I got was that 48 hours after drafting him the oilers tried to put pressure on him either to bi-pass uni or change unis outright. Nash was going to Cornell--very good Uni but it's hockey development system was questionable. Within 2 months of Nash being an oiler prospect were starting hearing reports that he would never be an oiler and had reportedly (this is a rumour that wont go away) in writing told the oilers not to contact him at all(over Lowe's approach to him after he was drafted).

Teemu Hartikainen is another guy who I saw play here in Europe and thought he would have a better NHL career then he did. Part of this is I think the oilers did not know how to use him and kept changing the instruction they gave him, They wanted him to bulk up so he did--they wanted him to improve his fitness so he did--but by bulking up it slowed him down and affected his overall fitness and then they told him to work on his skating. They treated him a bit like a yo yo.

What other prospect do you want to reflect on where we can not look back and have a good idea where things went wrong?

Robert Nilsson? Too small for the nhl?

BTW Ryan O'Marra retired after playing one season here in the British Elite league

Again---if mods do not think this is thread worthy they can nuke

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
In the rumour and proposal discussion we have slightly gotten off track with Schremp discussion and how things went with him.

if the mods do no think this is thread worthy--they can nuke it. I figure instead of bickering in the other thread over prospects where things went wrong and the how and why's of it--I thought maybe having one thread where we look at players like Omark, Schremp, Gagner, Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson and others to discuss and learn where the development of players went right and wrong.

Schremp is one of the prospects where for nearly 5 years there was close to trench warfare between the pro-schremp group and the Schremp sucks group(which I anointed myself leader of).

for me Schremp is a prospect who people saw what they wanted to see and played down what concerned others. I was was firmly on the Schremp sucks group 24 hours after the draft when more info came out as to why he went from being a top 5 pick in September of his draft year to being listed as late as a 4th on some teams lists. He had a bad attitude and had what I would call soft numbers (the tough minutes and the guy who had the hardest playing time on the team was Dave Bolland). But it was Schremps off ice attitude that the more I learned about the more I disliked the kid. He surrounded himself with yes people and had bought into his hype early on in his draft year. In the interview process other teams later said they had a lot of red lights with the how the kid thought of himself and how good he was. The one comment i read was something like "Confidence is good--ego mania is bad" and it was really in the interview stage of the predraft that Schremp started falling down other teams draft list

The Great Omark--again-- Maybe because I live in Europe and saw the guy play a lot---he was a guy who I bashed before he stepped foot in North America--i sid at the time and still say now--too soft for the NHL and could not put up with the NHL physical aspect of the game--he looks good on the big ice where he picked his spots and in the NHL his style of play just did not mix well and his attitude sucked like Schremp. With Omark there is one thing that still cracks me up, when I went to Sweden to see him play--the fan club for Lulua hated him and could not wait for him to leave. Swedes usually do not bash their home grown talent--in his case the most often comment was "he plays for money and not love of the game". Might shock some of you--Swedes love hockey just as much as Canadians.

Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson this is the one that hurts me--When he played with Timra, I saw him and Lander play together I thought both would be NHL killers. Here is one pick where I blame the oilers in how they handled him for how things turn out. They brought both him and Lander over too early and rushed them into the NHL with little or no support.

Sam Gagner--he should have went back to junior for another year

The two other first rounder we had after Gagner in 2007--Plante and Nash. With Plante it is simple--the scouts saw him as a raw talent at 6-3 and he hoped he would develop-he could not skate. Nash? We may never get the full story. But the version I got was that 48 hours after drafting him the oilers tried to put pressure on him either to bi-pass uni or change unis outright. Nash was going to Cornell--very good Uni but it's hockey development system was questionable. Within 2 months of Nash being an oiler prospect were starting hearing reports that he would never be an oiler and had reportedly (this is a rumour that wont go away) in writing told the oilers not to contact him at all(over Lowe's approach to him after he was drafted).

What other prospect do you want to reflect on where we can not look back and have a good idea where things went wrong?

Again---if mods do not think this is thread worthy they can nuke

I think another guy the Oilers kind of rushed is Cogliano. If I remember correctly, he only spent 2 years in college and then the Oilers threw him into the top 6 right away with Gagner.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
From my perspective, and from where he was picked, Hartikainen literally gave the Oilers all he could, contributed a little at the NHL level, you don't really expect that from as late of a pick as he was.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I dont know how much we ruined MPS. He had a damn good rookie year, and then had a sophmore year where he split the year in OKC. During that split year he played in the playoffs where he was one of the Barons best players. Next season again split, but no playoffs. Then goes to a team with a good core and great coach that was suppose to help him.

Did we screw him up or like others was his inability to make the unnecessary changes to his game screw him up?

A lot of the guys mentioned in the OP had legit NHL flaws that were going to hold them back or in some cases forced them down in the draft. For some prospects if you can't overcome that flaw it really doesn't matter what a team does for you.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Harti wasnt NHL material. He was developed perfectly. You couldnt do much else. He ripped up AHL but speed was amajor issue at NHL level.

MPS on the other hand was ruined. He was kept in NHL when he was struggling and not allowed to develop in AHL. This killed confidence and didnt allow him to learn important things

However his ceiling was probaly elite 3rd liner, now its average 4th liner

Plante had skating and concussion issues

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Paajarvi should have been sent down to the AHL several times.

Omark would probably would've made it in the NHL if he was 2 inches taller with the corresponding weight to go with that. Too small to play that type of game.

No Robert Nilsson?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Paajarvi should have been sent down to the AHL several times.

Omark would probably would've made it in the NHL if he was 2 inches taller with the corresponding weight to go with that. Too small to play that type of game.

No Robert Nilsson?

If Nilsson is on us then PRV is on STL.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
The Oilers are notorious for rushing prospects and bringing them into the NHL before they're ready. Nice to see them taking a more patient approach with Nurse so far - it will pay dividends.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
A lot needs to go right for a prospect to become a solid NHLer.
Management shares the blame for sure but is hardly the main reason for a player to fail.

To make the NHL and then actually stay in it for more than a couple years require a lot of sacrifices and dedication. Not all these kids have that drive.

For every Paajarvi (rushed) there is a Ty Rattie ( over ripened)
Rattie scored 121pts after his draft year and followed it up with another productive one (110pts). Paajarvi on the flip side was thrown to the wolf and already has 228NHL games under his belt.. Both will be fringe NHLer this upcoming season .. Would Paajarvi have been better had he player 100AHL games? Would Rattie be better going into next season if he had 100+NHL games under his belt?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I was a big fan of Paajarvi. He could have been a very good NHL winger if he had a little more aggressiveness in his game. He is a big guy who is physically very strong and who skates like the wind. He also has enough skill to play in the top 6 so long as he is not required to drive the offense and had decent to very good defensive instincts. If he could ever learn to use his size he could be a player. I'm not talking about throwing big hits. Just getting his hands dirty along the wall and in front of the net. But I finally came to realise that he just does not seem to be comfortable with playing that way game in and game out. Really liked the kid as well.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Oilers are notorious for rushing prospects and bringing them into the NHL before they're ready. Nice to see them taking a more patient approach with Nurse so far - it will pay dividends.

Well they did wait with Scremp, Eberle, Petry, Chorney, Plante, Pitlick, Marincin, Hamilton, Klefbom etc.. I think a big issue was the guys they did put into the NHL they didn't make them earn a NHL spot and had no backup plan. Instead of insulated with vets, they banked on rookies.

Other teams have rushed guys as quick if not quicker and it didn't hurt some of their guys. Difference being ROR had two centermen clearly better than him in the lineup, Saad/Shaw had a great core to go into. Toffoli/Pearson had a dozen actual NHLers ahead of them.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Paajarvi is on St.louis IMO

MPS is on us. He was broken before he left

Although its not conclusive it was due to rushing, or due to him following the path of a majority of prospects (not reaching upside)

The one thing about keeping players in ahl for extra year is that you know if they bust its on them.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
MPS is on us. He was broken before he left

Although its not conclusive it was due to rushing, or due to him following the path of a majority of prospects (not reaching upside)

The one thing about keeping players in ahl for extra year is that you know if they bust its on them.

I don't know if a player busts after 3 years with a club I think it's on him. How many players get an easy development path? PRV had two decent seasons here and then a bad one. If he can't over come this I question his abilities.

This is what really makes a player to me. Is a guy that can look back himself and figure out why he isn't a NHL regular even though he was drafted in a spot that you'd expect him to be a sure fire thing. Guys like Clearly, Moreau, Mcammond, Jones, Hendricks etc. guys that had to mold their games in order to make it or even stay in the NHL.

PRV still could be a NHLer, he just needs to realize he doesn't have the offense to be a NHL everyday player. He still has other attributes though that can make him that everyday guy, he just needs to embrace them.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
People may laugh at my suggestion, but one guy I think was screwed up a bit was Stortini.

The guy never was going to be much, but he looked like he had potential to be a Shawn Thorton. I think the problem with him was not knowing what the team actually wanted out of him. I meet him so many times every off-season and the guy was completely different from year to year. One year he was slim, trying to get faster. The next Mac was around so it seemed like he bulked up as he thought this is what the team wanted. Then the next he was slim again.

Just seems if the guy would've just focused on skating and positioning he would've gotten a lot further. Communication just didn't seem to be there.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I dont know how much we ruined MPS. He had a damn good rookie year, and then had a sophmore year where he split the year in OKC. During that split year he played in the playoffs where he was one of the Barons best players. Next season again split, but no playoffs. Then goes to a team with a good core and great coach that was suppose to help him.

Did we screw him up or like others was his inability to make the unnecessary changes to his game screw him up?

A lot of the guys mentioned in the OP had legit NHL flaws that were going to hold them back or in some cases forced them down in the draft. For some prospects if you can't overcome that flaw it really doesn't matter what a team does for you.

MPS was too easily intimidated. It seems that he was always afraid that someone was going to smash his teeth in.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
People may laugh at my suggestion, but one guy I think was screwed up a bit was Stortini.

The guy never was going to be much, but he looked like he had potential to be a Shawn Thorton. I think the problem with him was not knowing what the team actually wanted out of him. I meet him so many times every off-season and the guy was completely different from year to year. One year he was slim, trying to get faster. The next Mac was around so it seemed like he bulked up as he thought this is what the team wanted. Then the next he was slim again.

Just seems if the guy would've just focused on skating and positioning he would've gotten a lot further. Communication just didn't seem to be there.

I definitely see where you're coming from. He actually had some decent numbers in his early days. Stortini was almost too willing of a fighter to become a Thornton type. He needed to round out his game better, and by going out, and losing fight after fight, without making much of an impact, he really hindered what people thought of him. You can't question his heart, but he proved he wasn't able to hang with the heavyweights, and by that point, people were ready to move on from him

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
MPS had no edge at all, zero. Great skater, great skill set, but he simply looked apathetic most of the time.

He didn't really have a great skillset though. He's big and fast, that's his skillset. He didn't have a Rob Schremp type of skillset, now that was an immensely skilled player who just didn't have the skating or drive to want to better himself.
Paajarvi had decent vision, a decent shot but no hands and poor goal scoring instincts. Just look at a lot of his goals in his rookie season, flukey bounces for the most part. The speed and size was the big reason for the intrigue with him, not much else.

If he added some aggressiveness to his game, he could have had a Cogliano type of career but that doesn't appear to be in the cards for him.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
What about MAP?

Completely forgot about MAP. Seems like the guy just had some brutal luck with terrible timing when he got mono and then became injured. Seemed like he just wasn't able to get a string of games where he was healthy and then when he did, he lost 'it' and wasn't able to get 'it' back (confidence, skill, whatever).

Of course I'm old and my memory might be a little off :)

Speaking of 'off', what about the great Alexei Mikhnov! I recall so many people being super-excited about his size and skill from a few video dangles...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad