OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Seis

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Alright I’m done here. Three points in a group with Panama, Bolivia, and Uruguay when Uruguay has nothing to play for is a joke and hopefully the end of GB. If they get grouped on home soil and the USSF decides to keep GB I’ll be paying a lot less attention to the team moving forward.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I actually feel pretty good about everything this morning. I’m glad this happened now as opposed to in 2026. There’s no where for GB or the USSF to hide. No excuses or mirages of progress.

Throw out the wins vs Mexico because they’re clearly not the Mexico of old and GB has two wins in 20 vs countries that aren’t just happy to be there. He’s the same as he ever was: a coach who could never compete even in the MLS and who was fired in Sweden for not being able to create offense who is completely over his depth and has no business being in the position he’s in. Can’t even really be mad at him because hell, I’d take the USMNT job too if my brother worked for the Federation even though I’m also in no way qualified to do the job.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He looked like a guy who believed he was about to get sacked when he was slumping on the bench at the end.

Looks like the Iran game was his peak. Wasn't that a controversial win, iirc? Oh right the flag nonsense. And the goal cost them Pulisic who crashed into the net.

Other than beating Mexico a few times the same way a 2 win WFT team can upset Dallas, that's it. A group stage 1-0 win vs Iran.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hallmark of GB’s reign - along with failing to offset an anemic attack with a stout D. What has theUSMNT actually been good at under Berhalter?
Recruiting foreign players lol that’s about it. Guy could be a solid director of recruiting but he STINKS as a head coach. They have some of the best attacking and creative players the US has had, maybe ever and they have no offense at all.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Is it just me or did the team look mostly gassed in the last 20 or so min of the game and GB was still sitting on almost all his subs, again, until the very last minute?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just a reminder that in 2014, the USMNT advanced out of the group of death in the World Cup with Portugal, Germany, and Ghana. Portugal had a very good team capped off by prime Ronaldo, Germany won the whole thing, and Ghana was in the middle of their golden generation with multiple players playing in top flight European leagues. They were a Wondolowski shank away from beating Belgium to advance to the quarterfinals.

And now they get grouped — at home — in Copa America with a group of Uruguay, Bolivia, and Panama. They scored three goals this tournament during group play and two during group play in World Cup 2022. The definition of insanity is…

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Just a reminder that in 2014, the USMNT advanced out of the group of death in the World Cup with Portugal, Germany, and Ghana. Portugal had a very good team capped off by prime Ronaldo, Germany won the whole thing, and Ghana was in the middle of their golden generation with multiple players playing in top flight European leagues. They were a Wondolowski shank away from beating Belgium to advance to the quarterfinals.

And now they get grouped — at home — in Copa America with a group of Uruguay, Bolivia, and Panama. They scored three goals this tournament during group play and two during group play in World Cup 2022. The definition of insanity is…
Sure but fine margins my friend.

We get out of our group with 4 points in Brazil on goal difference over Portugal because Pepe gets a fairly early red card in their opening game against Germany and they got trounced 4-0.

Weah gets an early red card against Panama and we lose.

Big differences in the end results but how they got there are reasonably similar IMO.

And you can remember that Belgium game as an MLS scrub’s shank away from victory and I’ll remember it as Howard putting on one of best goalkeeping performances I’ve ever seen and that better Belgium finishing would’ve put 5 or 6 past him ;).

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Sure but fine margins my friend.

We get out of our group with 4 points in Brazil on goal difference over Portugal because Pepe gets a fairly early red card in their opening game against Germany and they got trounced 4-0.

Weah gets an early red card against Panama and we lose.

Big differences in the end results but how they got there are reasonably similar IMO.

And you can remember that Belgium game as an MLS scrub’s shank away from victory and I’ll remember it as Howard putting on one of best goalkeeping performances I’ve ever seen and that better Belgium finishing would’ve put 5 or 6 past him ;).
Fine margins, yes, just like in 2010 when Landon scored to win it at the end or they’d get grouped. My overall point is those US teams were less talented than this US team and they played better teams than GBs teams have played and had equal or better results. Timmy Howard was brilliant that game though, legendary performance for sure.

One of the concerning things to me is that the US teams of old weren’t as talented but they were tough teams. I don’t see the same level of give a shit with these players as I did with the other guys. That could be totally wrong but it feels like a level of passion is missing. Part of that is on GB, part of is it on the players. How does a guy like McKinnie show up to this tournament fat and out of shape? Feels like the older teams had guys who knew they weren’t as talented so they wanted to out work you and that’s missing here.

I’m obviously no fan of GB and I think he should have been shit canned today but the onus is on the players as well. There’s a level of malaise and complacency that’s crept into this team and that’s got to change, starting from the top.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It’s hard not to wonder how entertaining ManUre would have been if Rangnick could have gotten them to play like he has Austria playing.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Female commentators are killing the Euro tournament for me. Is the future of the NFL and NHL too? Wouldn't surprise me.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Fine margins, yes, just like in 2010 when Landon scored to win it at the end or they’d get grouped. My overall point is those US teams were less talented than this US team and they played better teams than GBs teams have played and had equal or better results. Timmy Howard was brilliant that game though, legendary performance for sure.

One of the concerning things to me is that the US teams of old weren’t as talented but they were tough teams. I don’t see the same level of give a shit with these players as I did with the other guys. That could be totally wrong but it feels like a level of passion is missing. Part of that is on GB, part of is it on the players. How does a guy like McKinnie show up to this tournament fat and out of shape? Feels like the older teams had guys who knew they weren’t as talented so they wanted to out work you and that’s missing here.

I’m obviously no fan of GB and I think he should have been shit canned today but the onus is on the players as well. There’s a level of malaise and complacency that’s crept into this team and that’s got to change, starting from the top.
In no way do I disagree with anything you said.

The US used to have an identity. They were greater than the sum of their parts. They worked hard, played to their strengths, took advantage of set pieces, and pretty much always had a first class goaltender in net.

Now? I have no idea what their identity is and I don’t think they do either. Sure they are a reasonable amount more talented than those that came before them but they also have none of those things in the paragraph above.

Is Berhalter the reason for that? Not IMO but he also isn’t the one that is going to fix things so I have absolutely no issue ditching him for someone else. Watching how some of the lesser teams have performed in the Euros has really reminded me what a well coached TEAM with a few good players can do in tournament soccer. I don’t know when Rangnick‘s contract with Austria is up but I’d go get him in a second.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
In no way do I disagree with anything you said.

The US used to have an identity. They were greater than the sum of their parts. They worked hard, played to their strengths, took advantage of set pieces, and pretty much always had a first class goaltender in net.

Now? I have no idea what their identity is and I don’t think they do either. Sure they are a reasonable amount more talented than those that came before them but they also have none of those things in the paragraph above.

Is Berhalter the reason for that? Not IMO but he also isn’t the one that is going to fix things so I have absolutely no issue ditching him for someone else. Watching how some of the lesser teams have performed in the Euros has really reminded me what a well coached TEAM with a few good players can do in tournament soccer. I don’t know when Rangnick‘s contract with Austria is up but I’d go get him in a second.
I agree with this 100%. Their identity used to be around outworking teams, playing strong defense, and being very sound on set pieces. Now? They have no identity except for a predictable offense of crossing balls into the box after fullback overlaps. And when your one of your leaders shows up and can barely get up and down the field, it’s not good. And it’s even worse that the coach didn’t hold him accountable at all.

The other thing worth mentioning is that very few guys played big minutes this season besides Weston, Pulisic, and Jedi and the latter two were the best players for the US. McKinnie was the biggest disappointment for me after having a quality season. Turner struggled to get time, Reyna got no minutes at BvB and had a terrible loan with Forest , Ream was a regular but got hurt, Adams missed almost 18 months of soccer, Balogun had a mixed season, Musah fought for playing time, etc. They really need to get some club situations settled by this time next year so the guys playing big minutes for the NT are guys that have been playing big minutes for their club teams.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Maybe I'm way wrong but I see it as fat cat syndrome. Seems like more and more of these guys are playing in the better leagues and that creates a new dynamic of swelled heads and individual egos rather than "USMNT first". Instead of coming away with just more worldly experience they also bring some baggage.

Then you get a bunch of unmanageable players (and their parents) freelancing on the pitch and trying to dribble through 3-4 defenders or some other low percentage hero play instead of sticking to a sound team-based plan.

Berhalter is in over his head in this regard and the inmates are probably running the asylum. I think we'll find that out at some point.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad