Former Bruins Disappointing Bottom Six Forwards and Lower Pairing Defensemen

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
For some reason, the memory of Steve Begin in a Bruins uniform popped into my head early this morning as I was bottle feeding my two-month-old. Why, I do not know. Perhaps I looked down at my son's bald head and that was all it took to reprise the image of an NHL tweener who somehow found himself on the Bruins first line for a couple of games in a desperate search for team chemistry during the 2009-2010 season.

I remember multiple Hab fan sentiments along the lines of Begin being "all-heart" and "you'll love having him on your team" after the Bruins acquired his services. And even though I felt my expectations were reasonably low given his past production and low talent level relative to the big leagues, I still came away at the end of the season disappointed. 14 points. A terrible fighter. Very little physical impact despite a prior reputation for exactly that. Didn't provide much defensively. The fourth line was objectively miles better once he was gone and the likes of Gregory Campbell took over the next year.

None of us will struggle to name scoring forwards and skilled defenseman that left us feeling greatly underwhelmed when all was said and done. But who are some role-type players, either in a recent or distant past, that could not measure up to your already low overall expectations?

Reactions: sarge88

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'll give you one to watch for this upcoming season: Nkita Zadorov.

So many people here believe he's the one missing element for this team to be successful come playoffs, and they're going to be sorely disappointed. He's a bottom pairing dman and has been his entire career, despite every team he's been on wanting, expecting, and hoping for more. Yet he's always ended up as a third pairing guy. And Boston will be no different.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Hathaway is it for me, What a stiff.

Yup! I was so happy when the Bruins acquired him. I thought "now we have our own shit stirrer to make life hell for opponents". Boy was I disappointed when he did nothing. And I mean, nothing. I still strongly suspect he was told his game wasn't "the Bruins way", that he needed to tone it down & he decided to do..nothing. Maybe he didn't know how to tone it down. All I know is he absolutely was not the Garnet Hathaway that had tormented the Bruins for years.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Trent McCleary. Traded another Mc, Shawn McEachern who had scored 24 goals after coming over from the Pens to Ottawa for McCleary. One year, 3 goals and a -16 later he was shown the door. McEachern came back to Boston in 05 but the wheels had left the motor by then. Hope Kastelic pans out, the Sens owe us. At least the same year we got McCleary we got Jeff Odgers, oh well never mind.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I had an irrational hatred for Byron Bitz. Still do, not really sure why.

But the 2006-2007 team had so many bad ones. All the Lewis Binkies

Mowers
The Jason York
Wayne Primeau
Jeff Hogan
Brandon Blowschunksski
I was legitimately considering giving “the entire 2006-07 roster” as my answer before deciding on Kemppainen.

• Haha
Reactions: JCRO

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Garnet Hathaway

Guy basically turned into a lady byng player once traded here, yet every game the Bruins played against him he was a huge pain in the ass.

Zac Rinaldo

I liked his style, he hit like a truck, could skate fairly well but had absolutely no skills beyond that.

John-Michael Liles

He just sucked ass in Boston

Max Talbot

Very similar to Steve Begin in the OP, depth role player that didn't really do anything.

Simon Gagne

Washed.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Marty Lapointe...though he did take in and mentor an 18 yr old Bergeron so that makes up for it

Another guy that, for me, doesn’t fit the topic because he came with fairly lofty expectations IMO. Though I will say I don’t remember his spot in the lineup and I’m too lazy to look back.

I just remember he was getting paid 5 million which was a fortune for the time.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Another guy that, for me, doesn’t fit the topic because he came with fairly lofty expectations IMO. Though I will say I don’t remember his spot in the lineup and I’m too lazy to look back.

I just remember he was getting paid 5 million which was a fortune for the time.

he pretty much was on the 3rd line the entire time here. closest he got to top 6 was his first year and even then he was 7th in forwards in ice time

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Jimmy Hayes
Matt Irwin

I'll put Lucic 2023 into the mix as well. But that was disappointing for another reason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad