OT: DiPietro used to pee in the locker room shower

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
DP is amazing on air. Has a real bright future if he sticks with it. I love listening to him. Pretty hilarious Pee story. Also he's absolutley right about the captaincy. I love the inside look he gives us as to what the players think. DP is great at that.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It's definitely true that real leaders will impact how you operate as a player for the rest of your life, coach or player.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
DP is the man. My son and I went down to watch the intermission show. After he was done DP took the time to talk to every single fan, took pictures with them, signed whatever they wanted and made sure to have a meaningful word with everyone - adults and kids alike.

My son is too young to have seen him play but he's now one of his favorite Islanders.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I'm glad he has some memorable stories from his time as a New York Islander.

Maybe Guerin should have told him to stop turning the puck over or stop laying on the ice after he gave up a goal? He might have stopped doing that too.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
I've heard he was a really cocky jackass coming up, but with everything that has happened to him he has changed his attitude 100%. He's great on the radio. I think he has a great future in broadcasting. I love him on Hockey Night Live, he's such a homer.

I still proudly urinate in the shower. See: why I'm single, among other reasons.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
DP is the man. My son and I went down to watch the intermission show. After he was done DP took the time to talk to every single fan, took pictures with them, signed whatever they wanted and made sure to have a meaningful word with everyone - adults and kids alike.

My son is too young to have seen him play but he's now one of his favorite Islanders.

All the more reason why people need to accept he did have what was best for the team as his intention. He wasn't this egotistical showboat that fans still want to label him as. I gave up trying to defending the guy because I've seen enough of him to know his true character.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
All the more reason why people need to accept he did have what was best for the team as his intention. He wasn't this egotistical showboat that fans still want to label him as. I gave up trying to defending the guy because I've seen enough of him to know his true character.

Please elaborate?

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY

As LetsGoIslanders pointed out he was less than jovial and fan friendly during his playing years. I watched him shun a bunch of 6 year olds (one was my cousin) at IceWorks one night after an Islanders employee said he would be out to sign. The guy was an ass during his playing days. Glad to see he has been humbled and has a better outlook now.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Maybe it's the inner 10 year old in me but every time I've come on HFBoards since yesterday to see whats new I've laughed at: 'DiPietro used to pee in the locker room shower'.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
I'm really glad to see all the fans embracing DP again. He became the poster boy for the MM era and he never deserved it. All he ever did was take pride in being an Islander and work his ass off to be the best he could be...awesome to see him in and around what goes on with this team again.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
As LetsGoIslanders pointed out he was less than jovial and fan friendly during his playing years. I watched him shun a bunch of 6 year olds (one was my cousin) at IceWorks one night after an Islanders employee said he would be out to sign. The guy was an ass during his playing days. Glad to see he has been humbled and has a better outlook now.

Never experienced that with him. The several times I've encountered him nothing but cordial.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Never experienced that with him. The several times I've encountered him nothing but cordial.

Encountered him several times for charity functions and was nothing but rude to some of my friends coordinating the events. Very flippant with the fans. This was after several of his big injuries. Could have just been bad timing.

GusTheo

Sep 14, 2011
You have to figure if you're in the public light all the time, you're bound to ruffle some feathers along the way. As you stated, could've been bad timing. I could very well see someone fighting through rehab get annoyed that he "has to" to some event.

Doesn't excuse his actions of being rude (if he indeed was) but I could certainly understand how athletes in general might get a bit annoyed at times.

I was always a DP fan and I think he got a lot of unwarranted criticism from this fan base (still does) but it's good to see him back in a positive light.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Encountered him several times for charity functions and was nothing but rude to some of my friends coordinating the events. Very flippant with the fans. This was after several of his big injuries. Could have just been bad timing.

I guess anything is possible. Saw Jason Blake one time, real jerk. Saw him another time and spent 15-20 minutes with us. Guess it's just hit and miss. They're humans just like us. Anyone can have a bad day(s).

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Sure it was just a bad day thing....the proof is in the numerous post game interviews where he always mentioned the fans and thanked them. You probably will say that's just lip service, but if it was he's a great actor.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The day thing is VERY possible. I had a TERRIBLE experience with Nystrom, he was a total you-kn-wwhat to me (when I was like 6 or 7)...yet most posters on here claim he's a nice guy.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
The day thing is VERY possible. I had a TERRIBLE experience with Nystrom, he was a total you-kn-wwhat to me (when I was like 6 or 7)...yet most posters on here claim he's a nice guy.

I mean its gotta be, they're only human and no matter how nice and fan friendly you are there has to be at least some points where you just want to be left alone. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes with family issues health etc.. Can't be on point at all times no one is.

Like you said I saw Nystrom at a draft party a couple years back surrounded by kids by the locker room and they were loving it.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I don't think the "OT:" label applies here at all...

Perhaps "Confirmed with Link:" .. or "BREAKING:" would be more appropriate...

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
I would have said the same thing Guerin said...
Last thing I want to do is stand in an area with someone else's bodily fluids mixed with water on the floor....

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007

Mike Bossy, boyhood hero, most talented player I ever saw, and notorious for being a rude jerk during and right after his playing career. I met a bunch of the Isles (and some Rags) at Wonderland in Brooklyn, NY. Nystrom was awesome to us, but the Boss was a disappointment. And I've heard that from other people who've met him.

It doesn't matter to me; he's still Mike Bossy. But it would have been nice for the reality to match the image in my head. And I can totally see a young DP big timing fans because teenager + money =/= well adjusted, well mannered individual. Clearly he and Bill Guerin needed to schedule a series of discussions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad