GDT: DIG IN! RIGHT NOW! Mantra of the 24-25 Season starts today! Oilers v Jets, 8 PM

Duder54

Dec 11, 2017
Canadian ex-pat in Zurich, Switzerland
Every game to start the year takes forever, this one will just be that much longer with the banner going up and their highlight video.

Although it's funny the guys don't even want to talk about last year anymore, so why make them watch it lol.

If Knobs when asked about the prime series said his wife and daughter started and turned it off as it was too early for them to watch it. So I can imagine just how much the players and coaching staff want to see this shit
Heck, it was hard as a fan to watch the last two episodes of the FACEOFF series. I consider myself to be the type of fan who doesn't get too emotionally invested in sports, but even I was close to choking up watching that. Can't imagine how the players and staff feel.

Time to turn the page and dig in. Hopeful for the new season, let's go.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
wow I completely forgot they are raising a conference banner lol. Remember what Lowe did last time in 2006. He made the team stay in the locker room while it was raised.

They did. Kevin Lowe told the team to stay in the locker room. He said we didn't win the ultimate goal so don't give a sh** about this banner raising.

I was at the opener in the 06-07 season, and they didn't even raise it. There was a tribute video to the run that lasted a few minutes, then they removed a cover exposing the banner that was already raised. I expect it will likely be something similar this year. Whole thing probably only took 5ish minutes.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Wonder which geniuses in the front office thought this would be a good idea. Ultimately in the biggest moment, the best players did not rise to the occasion and the team fell flat when it mattered. The third line guys demonstrated the most heart, desire and compete but they weren't enough.

I'll hope for a simple banner raising with no additional adornment or fawning.. but making a spectacle of the conference win is just so typically on brand for this organization, with its constant self-fellating and attempts to revel in its faded glory. McDavid said it himself, let them move on and start fresh. Probably looking at an additional 30 minutes of cringe and lameness, which may well sit in the back of the mind for these guys and they start flat once again.
None of what you just said makes any sense...

Every organization raises a banner for Division titles and Conference titles, this isn't an Oiler thing, it's an NHL thing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I mean game is at 8pm, puck drop is usually 15 minutes later on a normal night. You can’t see it taking another 30minutes?

There’s nothing more this coaching staff hates more than Troy Stetcher lol
I just don't get it. The guy is dynamic, can carry puck out and actually be a threat, was good through preseason and again parked.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Wonder which geniuses in the front office thought this would be a good idea. Ultimately in the biggest moment, the best players did not rise to the occasion and the team fell flat when it mattered. The third line guys demonstrated the most heart, desire and compete but they weren't enough.

I'll hope for a simple banner raising with no additional adornment or fawning.. but making a spectacle of the conference win is just so typically on brand for this organization, with its constant self-fellating and attempts to revel in its faded glory. McDavid said it himself, let them move on and start fresh. Probably looking at an additional 30 minutes of cringe and lameness, which may well sit in the back of the mind for these guys and they start flat once again.

You're dumb if you think that a tribute to a Conference Championship is "self-fellating."

Find me one other team that wouldn't do this. "Reveling in faded glory." We just won the Conference last season for f*** sakes.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I mean game is at 8pm, puck drop is usually 15 minutes later on a normal night. You can’t see it taking another 30minutes?

The banner is a great accomplishment, nothing to sneeze at, but the whole organization knows that wasn’t the goal, so a brief ceremony to mark that accomplishment will take place. I’m not expecting more than a few words to be spoken, likely just by the PA announcer. Puck drop by 8:20. ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
You're dumb if you think that a tribute to a Conference Championship is "self-fellating."

Find me one other team that wouldn't do this. "Reveling in faded glory." We just won the Conference last season for f*** sakes.
Somebody is dumb because they have a differing opinion? C'mon guys, doesn't need to be infighting over something as nebulous as will they raise the banner.

Next time I go to a concert I'm going to fight somebody over whether the opening stage lights will be red or blue. kidding

The poster is a longstanding STH who just sounds frustrated. We all have our different takes at different times.

I should be more excited than I am.... Stanley cup game 7 hangover?
I was excited yesterday and now todays grey skies, cold and rain is kind of pissing over everything. Anybody catch the 95k winds yesterday? Man that kicked up suddenly. Hope the Oilers are as fast as that tonight.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I was at the opener in the 06-07 season, and they didn't even raise it. There was a tribute video to the run that lasted a few minutes, then they removed a cover exposing the banner that was already raised. I expect it will likely be something similar this year. Whole thing probably only took 5ish minutes.

Yeah, I'm fine with that. Don't even do the stupid raising thing, have it already up there and just get on with it.

Reactions: Valhallis

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Somebody is dumb because they have a differing opinion? C'mon guys, doesn't need to be infighting over something as nebulous as will they raise the banner.

Next time I go to a concert I'm going to fight somebody over whether the opening stage lights will be red or blue. kidding

The poster is a longstanding STH who just sounds frustrated. We all have our different takes at different times.

Winning the Conference. Having your team be the Cup favourite. How horrible and frustrating.

I'm sorry, but some things are objectively stupid, and moaning about a Conference Championship banner is one of them. If the ceremony is over the top, whine then. Crying about it now is immature and ridiculous.

Fans of A LOT of other franchises would be proud of this. The Conference Championship isn't the goal, and nobody is blind to that. I don't want this to be the banner we raise either. But to describe it as "self-fellating" and "reveling in faded glory" is stupid.

Oilgasms

May 7, 2011
Edmonton
Tough for Stetcher, I liked the few games he played last year, (minus taking a few bad penalties) can be an actual offensive threat on the 3rd pair - something that we didn't have all last year.

Either way, my understanding is Kulak makes everyone look good on his pair - best of luck to Dermott

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Winning the Conference. Having your team be the Cup favourite. How horrible and frustrating.

I'm sorry, but some things are objectively stupid, and moaning about a Conference Championship banner is one of them. If the ceremony is over the top, whine then. Crying about it now is immature and ridiculous.

Fans of A LOT of other franchises would be proud of this. The Conference Championship isn't the goal, and nobody is blind to that. I don't want this to be the banner we raise either. But to describe it as "self-fellating" and "reveling in faded glory" is stupid.
I don't have a horse in the race and I'm fine either way. I just note that its reactions. Like you're having. Thats all. Don't see the need to call others stupid over this.

Like I said for the poster the self fellating and faded glory would have as much to do with legacy, and going back to the decades when the team would celebrate every conquest from decades ago and milk that for all it was worth.

Its actually refreshing the club has something newer to celebrate. Building newer memories is positive.

moving on

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Hopefully they're actually prepared to start. Connor Brown gets it, but it's not the 3rd line guys who have issues showing up. Looking for Emberson to be quietly solid stapled to Nurse. Poor Kulak will likely end up having to deal with a revolving door of partners.

Appreciate the words, Drivesaitl. Don't even bother with those types, complete waste of time.

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011

All of what that poster said sounds dubious at best...definitely suspicious. But they're not alone with those sorts of comments, unfortunately. We all have moments of negativity around the team, but for some it's more like moments of positivity (if that).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad