GDT: DIG IN! RIGHT NOW! Mantra of the 24-25 Season starts today! Oilers v Jets, 8 PM

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Skinner will get the first goal. There will be a big scramble around the net, the goalie will get out of position, and Skinner will be the one who shoots into the wide open cage. This came to me in a dream several weeks ago.
An own goal by Stuart Skinner would be a real shit way to start the season ;)

Oilgasms

May 7, 2011
Edmonton
Go make that 1.4 mil you stinky worm king
tenor.gif
corey-perry-anaheim.gif
hockey-hurricanes.gif

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I hope the team doesn't make a big deal out of winning the conference. Raise the banner, but it's cup or bust and the players know it too.
wow I completely forgot they are raising a conference banner lol. Remember what Lowe did last time in 2006. He made the team stay in the locker room while it was raised.

There should be no banner raising ceremony at all. I don't think the Oilers did that period in 06-07.
They did. Kevin Lowe told the team to stay in the locker room. He said we didn't win the ultimate goal so don't give a sh** about this banner raising.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Grand prizes used to be things like winning a show home, winning a Lamborghini, now its you can win two Taylor Swift tickets. The future sucks. We were supposed to be flying around in the air by now like the Jetsons. hehe

wow I completely forgot they are raising a conference banner lol. Remember what Lowe did last time in 2006. He made the team stay in the locker room while it was raised.

They did. Kevin Lowe told the team to stay in the locker room. He said we didn't win the ultimate goal so don't give a sh** about this banner raising.
Plus half the team was already gone. In a year the 3rd tier fans would be gone too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I don't really see why you need to even do that period. Should already be raised and not acknowledged at all. Drop the puck and start the season.

Reactions: CanadasTeam99

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Grand prizes used to be things like winning a show home, winning a Lamborghini, now its you can win two Taylor Swift tickets. The future sucks. We were supposed to be flying around in the air by now like the Jetsons. hehe

It is a bonus prize, the grand prize will be over $1,000,000. With that you can build a flying car!

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Plus half the team was already gone. In a year the 3rd tier fans would be gone too.

I mean I don't really care about Taylor Swift (though I have no real animus against her either, seems like a nice enough person), but even in say the 80s winning 2 tickets to whoever would be the equivalent to her in that era, like Michael Jackson or Madonna or something would be a pretty big deal lol.

ConnorNova0929

Feb 25, 2023
Jeff Skinner tonight when he finds out there are banners for post-season achievements. (or even that there is a post-season)

giphy.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I mean I don't really care about Taylor Swift (though I have no real animus against her either, seems like a nice enough person), but even in say the 80s winning 2 tickets to whoever would be the equivalent to her in that era, like Michael Jackson or Madonna or something would be a pretty big deal lol.
In the future every flavor is non offending vanilla. Whoops, I mean the present.

Jeff Skinner tonight when he finds out there are banners for post-season achievements. (or even that there is a post-season)

giphy.gif
Somebody will have to explain what is this is

Apr 29, 2017
I hope the team doesn't make a big deal out of winning the conference. Raise the banner, but it's cup or bust and the players know it too.
I'll make sure I'm late for the game if there's any type of banner raising or discussion of last season. But really I don't know if it's possible to be late for this game. Guaranteed 8:30+ puck drop regardless.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I disagree. Setting a standard of dominance in the regular season is what we need to be able to get out of our own way and take the next step.

I'm tired of the roller coaster nature of this team, and I think it ultimately costs them in the playoffs relying on the mantra of "whatever we always find a way in the end." We need to stop making it hard on ourselves, and having home ice through the first three rounds would be massive for us.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that's how the current roster feels

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Wonder which geniuses in the front office thought this would be a good idea. Ultimately in the biggest moment, the best players did not rise to the occasion and the team fell flat when it mattered. The third line guys demonstrated the most heart, desire and compete but they weren't enough.

I'll hope for a simple banner raising with no additional adornment or fawning.. but making a spectacle of the conference win is just so typically on brand for this organization, with its constant self-fellating and attempts to revel in its faded glory. McDavid said it himself, let them move on and start fresh. Probably looking at an additional 30 minutes of cringe and lameness, which may well sit in the back of the mind for these guys and they start flat once again.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
They are expecting to start at 7:45. But its the first game of the season for the crew too so probably closer to 7:50. Probably 30 minutes of talking and crying and banner raising or whatever and then anotehr 15-20 minutes announcing every player in the lineup one by one they do a lap etc. Easily an hour ceremony. Usually our home opener festivities last 30 minutes and thats without a deep cup run and banner raising.

There is zero chance this will be an hour long ceremony. Half an hour tops, including player intros.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I disagree. Setting a standard of dominance in the regular season is what we need to be able to get out of our own way and take the next step.

I'm tired of the roller coaster nature of this team, and I think it ultimately costs them in the playoffs relying on the mantra of "whatever we always find a way in the end." We need to stop making it hard on ourselves, and having home ice through the first three rounds would be massive for us.

There's pros/cons either way.

I think adversity in the regular season directly led to greater playoff success in both 2022 and 2024, you could see it plain as day in the Calgary (22) and Vancouver (24) series' ... the Oilers had no problem dealing with adversity whereas Calgary and Vancouver had perfect seasons where everything went right for them and you could almost taste the doubt in their team when they started to realize not everything was going to go their way against the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad