Did Ovi carry the Capitals to the playoffs this year?

Did Ovechkin carry the Capitals to the playoffs

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I seldom think that any one player carries any team to the playoffs but creating this thread for the guy that believes the thread title people can make the case for/against in a good natured way.

Also the other Ovi thread can stick to it's topic which is Ovi's quest for Gretzky's record and not get sidetracked as much.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
ya, i dont think so. Romantically speaking, it was fun to see him catch fire as far as goalscoring the second half of the year at 38. Realistically, he was one of the key players on a team that squeeked in, and the less than key players also count into the equation.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
No individual player in this sport is responsible for team success, and the only position that can even come close to that argument is goaltender (but it’s still not that close). That applies to Ovi this year and Gretzky in his prime.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
You could argue he was their MVP in the regular season. But his performance wasn't so far above his teammates or his peers that saying he "carried them" is justified.

Reactions: cupface52 and Dingo

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
15 of 31 goals were in March-April, so you can choose any option to vote except "no"
They had 13 wins and 11 losses in March-April, with a goal differential of -4 in that window so… not exactly a team that was surging to the finish line, ergo it wasn’t a team that was being “carried” anywhere.

1714612810501.gif

This is how they looked entering the playoffs! :laugh:

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Hmm might have been theyr worst player in value on ice.. no matter goal count. Arguably better team if he didnt exist.

• Haha
Reactions: Zuluss

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Lol dumbest poll I've seen for a while. 30-30 player, with no defense and 10 mil salary? Did Matt Duchene carry Stars to the playoffs?

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
It marvels me that people can’t see that Lindgren is actually the one who played out of his mind for the Caps playoff push. Has OV even been a PPG player for any 20 games stretch this year?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Emotionally it would be nice to say that at 38 the marvel that is Ovechkin carried his team, but no matter how favourably one views his scoring to his team's importance it seems to me that Lindgren and Carlson (at the very least) were both better and more important to the team. I vote No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad