Did Gaborik have HOF talent?

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
Fantastic career. Led the Kings in goals in the year he won the cup. 400 career goals. Playing much of his prime in a system that did not promote offence as much as other teams.

Theoretically if he had played on a different team and avoided the hip and back surgeries - he definitely had the talent to score HOF numbers.

Now Bondra on the other hand should be in the HOF. 500 goals, led the league in scoring two years. Fantastic international career for Slovakia.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Did Kevin Lowe have Hall of Fame talent?
Some guys in the HHOF have very little talent, especially when compared to Gaborik. Mogilny isn’t in the Hall. Lowe is. Go figure?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Hall of fame talent, hella lame body. I’m always curious if there’s a universe where he never gets hurt, with dudes like him.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Glad Ziggy is getting some shoutouts (my all-time favorite hockey player). Both electrifying players; admittedly Gaborik had more pure talent with his speed.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He was a monster against the Ducks in 2014 Playoffs. Great player, wouldn't put him in the HHOF but he's in the Hall of Very Good.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
All those years stuck on a crappy Wild team hurt his numbers, and didn't really start playing for good teams until after his prime so its a good question. I am not sure if he would have put up HOF numbers on a better team playing a more offensive game but he was one hell of a player.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Similar to Taylor Hall in a way... great set of skills but played for teams that didn't really provide the best support and ultimately their bodies let them down. If things had broken differently... I mean we're discussing guys like Nick Backstrom for the HOF... perfect example of an elite teammate making the case for them. However, HOF does measure things like durability and longevity, perhaps puts too much emphasis on them.

Reactions: Figgy44

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
In his best season, he peaked at 10th in points and 5th in goals as a 27 year old.

He only has a single top 10 point finish and 3 top goal finishes (3, 5, 7)

He was never really a true contender for any major awards. Even his 3rd place goalscoring finish, he is 9 goals behind Malkin and 19 behind Stamkos.

You could argue a healthy Gaborik has more top 10 goal finishes, and maybe point finishes. But at best that makes him a very borderline case. I think realistically he would just be in a higher tier of "hall of very good" players.

Players like Theo Fleury, Zigmund Palffy, Markus Naslund, John Leclair all have better top 10 stat finishes, and none of them are in the HHOF.

All sorts of players are in the hall of very good/borderline HHOF if they were perfectly healthy or significantly healthier than their actual career. Gaborik is no exception. I also think this is also especially true for players that play with a specific type of recklessness. Someone reckless and rarely injured is kinda scary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad