Did Dion Phaneuf live up to the hype?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Did Dion Phaneuf live up to the hype?

• Yes he did in spades

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Yes but barely

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Sort of

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • No he didn’t but was close

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • No he was a disappointment

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
He went 9th overall in the 2003 draft, ahead now of guys like Perry and Getzlaf. He had a lot of hype when he was drafted. His prime was short but he peaked early in his career. He played his best when paired with Roman Hamrlik where he was a #1 stud.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Not sure about draft hype, but I do remember the hype with him in year one or two when he was clearly the #3 guy behind Crosby and Ovechkin and the hype didn’t have him as a distant 3rd either….based on that hype, the answer for me is an easy no.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
No, he didn't. But that was more because the hype was overblown. He had a great peak, and a good career.

There was no way to live up to the hype when he was a big bruising Canadian kid. And then add in the fact that he was, at one point, an overpaid Maple Leaf. And that's the absolute worst thing for someone's value in the eyes of public opinion.

Phaneuf was a lot better than most people remember. Just not as great as the early expectation after his draft, and early few years with Calgary.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would argue no and at end of things I would put Seabrook at #14 as a guy who had a better career as well

He didn't have the high-end offensive peak that Phaneuf had his first years in NHL, but Seabrook had much better/longer performance as top defender then Phaneuf

Phaneuf career

1,048 games
137 goals
357 assists
494 pts

55 playoff games
7 goals (1 overtime GWG)
14 assists
21 pts

Seabrook career with Hawks

1,114 games
103 goals
361 assists
464 pts
+111

123 playoff games
20 goals (3 overtime GWG)
39 assists
59 pts
+8

Flames would have been better off drafting Seabrook at #9 IMO

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Dont know how a guy so ugly got such a wife so beautiful.
Combination of buck chaser and puck chaser.

This is a little nuanced. Considering where he was drafted he had a solid career. Compared to the hype surrounding him after his first two years in Calgary, not even close.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I would say somewhere in the middle between sort of and slight disappointment. As a flame was sort of but as leaf was slight disappointment. Then again he was not the only one that had hard time in Toronto. Big markets can be hard to play in with the media attention. He put up okay numbers though just was different time in NHL.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Wasn’t he pretty consistently voted the most overrated player in the nhl?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He went 9th overall in the 2003 draft, ahead now of guys like Perry and Getzlaf. He had a lot of hype when he was drafted. His prime was short but he peaked early in his career. He played his best when paired with Roman Hamrlik where he was a #1 stud.
I feel like sort of makes the most sense.

He was a legit top pair guy for many years, which is great for a 9th Overall pick

But after his WJC and his rookie season there were a ton of people expecting a future Norris winner which in that sense he didn’t come close to that hype

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
tumblr_lrw9o46B5u1r21bjmo1_500.gifv

What I remember him for

• Love
Reactions: tfwnogf

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The hype around him at the draft wasn't any different than most guys picked in that range.

That said - he had a ton of hype once he started playing the NHL. He'd have won the Calder in more than a few other years, but just happened to be in an absolute monster of a year alongside Crosby and Ovie.

Based on draft hype - I think he exeeded expectations overall. He peaked both high and very early, but carved out a 1000+ game career with almost 500 points. Anyone would be happy with that with 9th overall.

Based on hype at it's peak (~2006), he certainly never became the player it looked like he may become, and thus failed to live up to relative expectations. I'm just not sure it's really a fair way to look at player's career.

To answer the OP - it would depend on which 'hype' you're referring to.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Not sure about draft hype, but I do remember the hype with him in year one or two when he was clearly the #3 guy behind Crosby and Ovechkin and the hype didn’t have him as a distant 3rd either….based on that hype, the answer for me is an easy no.

I remember.

It was the middle of their rookie season.

Pierre McGuire was asked which of the 3 super rookies he would want to build around.

“No disrespect to the other two but this has to be Dion Phaneuf.”

• Haha
Reactions: shakes the clown

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I suppose he basically lived up to his draft hype, maybe just falling a little short. He fell well short of his hype by the time he entered the NHL or after his first few years. He was basically expected to become the rich man's version of what Shea Weber became.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad