Confirmed with Link: Dickinson signs ELC 3x $975k, AAV $1.758M

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I feel like a player at Dickinson's current development level would really benefit from going back to juniors. I think defensemen that need to develop more poise with the puck and offensive awareness from the back end need more reps and confident reps. If you rush these types of players, they'll turn into guys (not gonna single anyone out) that get into a good position on the ice but absolutely don't know what to do with the puck once they get there. We saw this a few times with Dickinson at the prospect scrimmage; he's such a good skater that he "outskates" his hands and brain and just malfunctions and gives the puck up.

Get the dude some good coaching and he has all the physical tools to be very good. Stunt his growth offensively and he'll look like Vlasic on offense. I really hope he figures it out offensively and gets really mean on defense, I can see him being Pronger-esque.
Dickison needs to work on his offensive awareness? A defensemen that put up 70 points in 68 games has already figured that part of the game at his current level.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Dickison needs to work on his offensive awareness? A defensemen that put up 70 points in 68 games has already figured that part of the game at his current level.
That’s more of a function of how stacked London is than Dickinson being elite offensively. He has some work to do on vision, passing, and stick-handling.

There’s no chance he plays a full season with the Sharks, obviously.

DoubleOT

Jan 5, 2017
San Jose, CA
Kind of. Really it is just to make sure he is signed. If he plays in the OHL, his contract slides. But this is just confirmation that he signed and now can't pull any shenanigans down the road. (and the Sharks can't pull any shenanigans by refusing to sign him).

This is really a formality more than anything. Musty signed his ELC not long after being drafted and he's likely back to the OHL this season too.
There is much I have to learn about ELCs. The EA games have only taught me so much.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
That’s more of a function of how stacked London is than Dickinson being elite offensively. He has some work to do on vision, passing, and stick-handling.

Have yet to find a scouting report that thinks that way. But ok. And if it was just because of londons stacked team, him and bonk would not be a mile apart from the rest of the defense in terms of scoring (40 points above the 3rd best defensemen)

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

I believe a lot of scouting reports actually mentioned him as the most NHL ready of all the top D.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Can we safely assume that Erik Karlsson trade net us Sam Dickson now? I know some stats nerds will nitpick it to death and say but we threw in a pick and moved up so it not a true 1 for 1.
It's got Karlsson DNA as well as Meier DNA in the trade, his presence in the prospect pool is entirely the product of Grier's smart moves during the rebuild

It was also basically first time on the ice in a couple months. Anyone that draws any kind of conclusions from 1 meaningless game and not even a game played at regular rules is overthinking this. Just by being the 11th pick dickson will be staying in san jose to the end of camp.
I'm not drawing strong conclusions, just noting that he didn't react as well as other defenders who also had the same scrimmage based disadvantages in that setting

He's a physical beast and an awesome skater but the questions about him pre-draft were based on his decision making which can only be improved through reps, which he'll get a TON of in the OHL this year, I'm still a big believer in him, I just think he's a year or two away from being NHL ready

Reactions: bullslugg

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
Have yet to find a scouting report that thinks that way. But ok. And if it was just because of londons stacked team, him and bonk would not be a mile apart from the rest of the defense in terms of scoring (40 points above the 3rd best defensemen)
Watched this and seems to align with feedback above as well as concerns raised in the scrimmage.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
Nice to get him signed. Fully expecting him to go back to Junior next year, but with how the defense currently looks, maybe he gets 9 games before going back down if he looks capable enough during camp. I don't think it would hurt to give him a taste of what it's like at the NHL level so he can continue developing towards it.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Nice to get him signed. Fully expecting him to go back to Junior next year, but with how the defense currently looks, maybe he gets 9 games before going back down if he looks capable enough during camp. I don't think it would hurt to give him a taste of what it's like at the NHL level so he can continue developing towards it.

I'd be more inclined to agree about his chances to get 9 games if he were a RD. We have such a logjam at LD.

Reactions: Desert Eagle

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Watched this and seems to align with feedback above as well as concerns raised in the scrimmage.

So found a 2 minute clip of his like 2000 minutes of ice that shows what every defensemen in the world goes through in a season, even from ones that are said to be the best offensive defensemen of all time.

But yet most if not all high end draft prospect analysis from top ones like Mckenzie say he is a high iq offensive and defensive player.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m not saying Dickinson is bad defensively, just that he has things to work on and his stats should be taken with a grain of salt. Bonk and Dickinson were the defensemen on PP units. It’s no shock that they outscored the other mediocre defensemen (except George who is a defensive guy).

I believe a lot of scouting reports actually mentioned him as the most NHL ready of all the top D.
He could play a full NHL season given his size and skating. But that’s not a good idea if you want him to become a true top pairing defenseman.

The great appeal of Dickinson to me is that his skill set is such that you really could mold him to be whatever you need. You could turn him into a shutdown guy, you could turn him into an offensive guy, he’s clay to mold. But you have to really give him the attention he needs and not just let him be. If you give him vague “keep doing what you’re doing” advice, send him back to London, and then make him a full time NHLer next year, he’ll be Darnell Nurse. Still a good player but I have higher hopes for Sam. This is a player who with the proper development could become a very rare type of NHL defenseman. But you can’t fall into the trap of just letting him do his thing because he’s big and fast and plays in London and hoping it’ll work out.

I really hope the player development team has very specific plans for Dickinson that he’s on board with before sending him back to London.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
More like the differentiation with the SHL xfer agreement. If I remember right from Dahlen-gate...
The NHL-SHL transfer agreement didn't apply to Dahlen. He spent a year in the AHL, underperformed, and was sent back to Timrå to regain his confidence. He dominated the Allsvenskan but a global pandemic broke out and ended the season early.

The NHL then didn't get a season going on time, while the Allsvenskan started playing in September, so Dahlen stayed in Timrå for another year because there wasn't yet an NHL or AHL season even scheduled (that didn't happen until late December 2020). Dahlen stayed in Sweden an extra year because his choices at the time were play in Sweden, or sit around doing nothing while waiting to see if there even would be a season in North America.

He dominated the Allsvenskan again, led Timrå back to the SHL, and then came over for a year where he was decent enough but lacked physical stamina and wasn't productive enough offensively to change minds, so he went back to Sweden when we didn't qualify him. He's had one good year and one decent but disappointing year there so far.

Dahlen was turning 22 the year we sent him back to Timrå, and was past the age that the then-transfer agreement specified (it was then 21 years old, which is why he was playing in Utica). The agreement now sets the age at 24 (and of course the Swedish team can allow the player to play in the AHL).

Reactions: landshark

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So found a 2 minute clip of his like 2000 minutes of ice that shows what every defensemen in the world goes through in a season, even from ones that are said to be the best offensive defensemen of all time.

But yet most if not all high end draft prospect analysis from top ones like Mckenzie say he is a high iq offensive and defensive player.
Listen, I hate to play the “have you seen him play” card, but if Sam Dickinson was a high IQ offensive and defensive player then he would have gone 3rd overall.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

Literally no one in this thread is saying he's low IQ or bad defensively, rather they are saying he's young, raw, and needs to work on his decision making, which isn't shocking, he's 6 days older than Celebrini who we all talk about being shockingly composed for his age

Dickinson is likely to be an awesome NHL player, he just isn't there yet, he's gonna take some time and it's not the end of the world if he plays another year or 2 in junior

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
The NHL-SHL transfer agreement didn't apply to Dahlen. He spent a year in the AHL, underperformed, and was sent back to Timrå to regain his confidence. He dominated the Allsvenskan but a global pandemic broke out and ended the season early.

The NHL then didn't get a season going on time, while the Allsvenskan started playing in September, so Dahlen stayed in Timrå for another year because there wasn't yet an NHL or AHL season even scheduled (that didn't happen until late December 2020). Dahlen stayed in Sweden an extra year because his choices at the time were play in Sweden, or sit around doing nothing while waiting to see if there even would be a season in North America.

He dominated the Allsvenskan again, led Timrå back to the SHL, and then came over for a year where he was decent enough but lacked physical stamina and wasn't productive enough offensively to change minds, so he went back to Sweden when we didn't qualify him. He's had one good year and one decent but disappointing year there so far.

Dahlen was turning 22 the year we sent him back to Timrå, and was past the age that the then-transfer agreement specified (it was then 21 years old, which is why he was playing in Utica). The agreement now sets the age at 24 (and of course the Swedish team can allow the player to play in the AHL).
Thank you!

I forgot about the whole COVID timing on his whole deal.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He's the one player I have no problem being super patient with. There's enough young D-men in the system, elite or not that the team can focus on as it pertains to the future. Shakir, Thompson, Luca, Thrun, Pohlkamp, HAvelid, Landon, Laroque... doesn't mean any of em will make it, but let Sam cook at his own pace.

I’m going to wait to watch the prospect tournament and preseason before I give him a 9 game “look see.”
I wouldn't even bother. Too many other D-prospects should be getting a look first. Doesn't mean they're better, just means they a) need to show they belong or b) have a frame currently more suited for the NHL as compared to him.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'm sorry to hear that. Karlsson thankfully left my thoughts on August 6th, 2023 and hopefully won't ever return.
1720641016921.png

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
I'd be more inclined to agree about his chances to get 9 games if he were a RD. We have such a logjam at LD.
That's true, I forgot about the log jam. Hopefully he at least gets a preseason game or 2. Even if they don't play him in the regular season, they should keep him around all camp so that they can work him more before sending him down.

Ad

Ad

Ad