Rumor: Dhaliwal: Canucks have called the Canes about Necas "They are very serious about acquiring him"

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
If there is a trade between these teams for Necas I'm sure that both fan bases will be disappointed in the pieces involved. Don't really see this happening

Reactions: Tryamw and Fatass

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
I guess I wouldn't be shocked if the Canucks end up moving on from Hronek if they are not able to figure out a long-term deal. Management hasn't been shy in making tough choices.

Saying that, Hronek has also filled a massive need that the Canucks have had for an eternity. Rights to Pesce should be a part of any deal if Hronek is involved.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Shoulda took JT miller when u had the chance. Now it will be funny to see what Necas value is after being untouchable for so long.
Problem is, Canes would not have signed JT Miller to that contract. Unless the now do something like that with Guentzel, they have never, under Dundon, signed a late 20s/30 year old to a high dollar, long term deal. Even their own UFAs. They let the walk (Trocheck, Hamilton) or trade them (Skinner, Faulk).

Maybe that will change now with Guentzel, or Skjei, or Pesce. Or maybe next year with Slaving, but I am confident that had they traded for JT Miller as a rental before Miller re-signed, he'd have been just that, a rental.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Necas needs the right player to play with. Someone with enough speed, vision and playmaking ability. On Carolina, that's really only Aho and Rod pretty much stapled Jarvis to Aho for the season.

Kotkaniemi is too slow
Kuznetsov slows the play down too much
Staal's #1 job is defense and his #2 job is defense.

I think if you put Necas with a center that has speed, skill and vision, his numbers will increase dramatically. He's blazing fast and can make plays at speed. I would imagine putting him with someone like MacKinnon would terrorize defenses even more than Mackinnon does today.

That said, he's a player that does best in open spaces, plays more on the perimeter, and you need to live with defensive lapses he will have.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
According to you he has value now because he plays with lindholm and Joshua this year. lol this guy is comedian
I watched Garland when is was with the Coyotes. He is the energizer bunny, works hard every shift, draws a lot of penalties, never gives up. With Garland it's not only points but the intangibles that he brings the team, things many fans don't see. Coaches love players like Garland.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I watched Garland when is was with the Coyotes. He is the energizer bunny, works hard every shift, draws a lot of penalties, never gives up. With Garland it's not only points but the intangibles that he brings the team, things many fans don't see. Coaches love players like Garland.
I'm sure Brind'Amour would absolutely love him.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'd be more interested in Garland if we weren't already a team (and prospect pool) of talented and tenacious surfs

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
To Canes fans -- a related but somewhat unrelated q:

Is there a reason the Canes have opted not to give Necas any major run at C, to date? What do you think was/is holding him back, and do you think there's any chance he could play at C were he to make the positional switch?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
To Canes fans -- a related but somewhat unrelated q:

Is there a reason the Canes have opted not to give Necas any major run at C, to date? What do you think was/is holding him back, and do you think there's any chance he could play at C were he to make the positional switch?
He isn’t defensively responsible, he isn’t good in the dots, and his offensive game would be more prevalent on the wing

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Hronek
Mikheyev

For

Necas
Kotkaniemi

It'll end up being this. Friedman is saying we are interested in Kotkaniemi.
This is bad for the Canucks. Mikheyev only has 2 years left and might bounce back after he is fully recovered. Kotkaniemi has 6 more years, is on a decline and is not because of injury.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Necas needs the right player to play with. Someone with enough speed, vision and playmaking ability. On Carolina, that's really only Aho and Rod pretty much stapled Jarvis to Aho for the season.

Kotkaniemi is too slow
Kuznetsov slows the play down too much
Staal's #1 job is defense and his #2 job is defense.

I think if you put Necas with a center that has speed, skill and vision, his numbers will increase dramatically. He's blazing fast and can make plays at speed. I would imagine putting him with someone like MacKinnon would terrorize defenses even more than Mackinnon does today.

That said, he's a player that does best in open spaces, plays more on the perimeter, and you need to live with defensive lapses he will have.
Sounds like the Canucks already had a guy like that, Kuzmenko, and he didn’t fit into what Tocchet wants.

Doesn’t Tocchet live Garland? Not too sure Tocchet would be too interested in moving out a guy he loves for a guy who might be a guy he’s not too keen on.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
if hronek is traded to canes or a different team, vancouver can find their replacement in the free agent market.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Hronek for necas just makes sense.

Carolina badly needs a good RHD, Canucks need a Top 6 forward to play with Petey for awhile.

Dono who adds here, but it makes sense

Reactions: TheShape

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
After blowing a 1st + Brzustewicz on Lindholm, what assets do the Canucks have left?

No 1st/2nd this year, they obviously aren't trading Lekkerimaki or Willander and they don't have a A/B prospects besides those two.

I'm sure they'd love to deal Hronek for Necas but the Canes aren't that stupid.

They know that Hronek's first 25 games where he put up 25 points was a flash in the pan and the 24 points he had in the following 69 games (regular season and playoffs) is closer to his normal level of play.
Blowing? He was unreal in the playoffs, and we were a goal away from OT in g7 to make round 3.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Sounds like the Canucks already had a guy like that, Kuzmenko, and he didn’t fit into what Tocchet wants.
I don't think so, but I don't know Tocchet that well.

Necas is coachable and by all accounts, worked at what Brind'Amour wanted him to work on. Never any concern there. Worked hard in the off-season as well.

His 5v5 numbers were similar year to year (13G, 35P last year; 13G, 32P this year). He just lost his spot on the #1 PP unit and his PP numbers tailed off. (26P Last year; 13P this year). It was a contract year and so he clearly wanted to get more 1st PP time to increase his next deal. I don't blame him there.

He's deadly in 4v4 or 3v3 though and has been playing great in the Worlds.

From my understanding on Kuzmenko, was that he didn't want to fit into Tocchet's system and wasn't very coachable. I could be wrong here though.

My son is a huge Canucks fan so I'll ask him. He works for the company that does a lot of the statistics/graphics during games that you see on broadcasts and in replays (shot speed, skating speed, distance skated, the little tags on the PP, etc..) His team is the Canucks and he has worked pretty much every Canucks game for the last two seasons and works with their production crew so, he sees the Canucks a lot.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think so, but I don't know Tocchet that well.

Necas is coachable and by all accounts, worked at what Brind'Amour wanted him to work on. Never any concern there. Worked hard in the off-season as well.

His 5v5 numbers were similar year to year (13G, 35P last year; 13G, 32P this year). He just lost his spot on the #1 PP unit and his PP numbers tailed off. (26P Last year; 13P this year). It was a contract year and so he clearly wanted to get more 1st PP time to increase his next deal. I don't blame him there.

He's deadly in 4v4 or 3v3 though and has been playing great in the Worlds.

From my understanding on Kuzmenko, was that he didn't want to fit into Tocchet's system and wasn't very coachable. I could be wrong here though.

My son is a huge Canucks fan so I'll ask him. He works for the company that does a lot of the statistics/graphics during games that you see on broadcasts and in replays (shot speed, skating speed, distance skated, the little tags on the PP, etc..) His team is the Canucks and he has worked pretty much every Canucks game for the last two seasons and works with their production crew so, he sees the Canucks a lot.
Kuz was praised, even by our coaches, for being super receptive to coaching and giving his all trying to learn the system. He simply wasn't able to grasp it, because it was so different from the hockey he had played his whole life in Russia, and in Russian systems.

I think Necas would work better in this system, and I would consider it a coup if we managed to trade for him. Outside of Hronek, or futures (not Lekkermaki or Willander however), I don't see how we make good trading partners though. Miller, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes and Demko are our core, and the other signed players feature the likes of Soucy, Garland, Mikheyev, Hoglander, Podkolzin and league minimum guys, so I don't see the key piece of a trade forming from that.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Kuz was praised, even by our coaches, for being super receptive to coaching and giving his all trying to learn the system. He simply wasn't able to grasp it, because it was so different from the hockey he had played his whole life in Russia, and in Russian systems.
Ok, thanks. That makes more sense.

Slapshottothehead

May 5, 2024
I just dont see the Canucks as a good trade partner. The few good pieces the Canes would want, The nucks cant afford to trade.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Hronek for necas just makes sense.

Carolina badly needs a good RHD, Canucks need a Top 6 forward to play with Petey for awhile.

Dono who adds here, but it makes sense
If Hronek's ask is too much, the Canucks can replace him with a Tanev, Roy, Pesce, etc to pair with Hughes. Hronek could turn into a valuable trade chip.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
If Hronek's ask is too much, the Canucks can replace him with a Tanev, Roy, Pesce, etc to pair with Hughes. Hronek could turn into a valuable trade chip.
If Hronek’s ask is too much, it also lowers his value as a trade chip. If his contract demands are too high for the Canucks, then they will likely also be too high for the Hurricanes.

Like other’s have said, I don’t think the Canes and Nucks are great trade partners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad