Rumor: Dhaliwal: Canucks have called the Canes about Necas "They are very serious about acquiring him"

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
I wrote that a "trade could still happen."

There are just more interesting fits leaguewide, imo. Nashville makes a lot of sense and has futures depth. Utah has interesting pieces, now and future. Buffalo has such a deep asset pool that it has to be mentioned in any individual player conversation. Any team with a pick in the upper teens/early 20s could build a Fiala facsimile.
Fair enough actually

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
People who watched him last year knew he played the exact same way. You can’t even explain how he goes from having zero value to having value .

That’s the difference between having a veteran defensive Center vs a rookie in the middle last year . Garland is still doing same exact thing he did this year as he did last year . He rushes into nothing . Still has little to no value and you guys can’t even say why he has value . You keep him then . No one wanted this player for nothing last year and nobody is lining up for him now.

He was vastly improved in nearly every metric.

Anyway, I'm not going to dreail this thread any further, this one is about the Canucks acquiring Necas.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
He was vastly improved in nearly every metric.

Anyway, I'm not going to dreail this thread any further, this one is about the Canucks acquiring Necas.
I've got good news for you. Necas doesn't rush into nothing like that no good Garman, no sir, he goes head first, balls to the walls into 3-4 defenders!

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
What are Carolinas main neads aside from clearling Salary
I've got good news for you. Necas doesn't rush into nothing like that no good Garman, no sir, he goes head first, balls to the walls into 3-4 defenders!
That's why we want Necas, and stunned Carolina may be looking to move him.
I'm in no way suggesting Garland as a main piece, but he is a very good complimentary player.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
First off Re Garland:

Connor Garland was top 40 in the entire league for 5v5 points among forwards with 41 total points. Top 30 for playing over 1000 total minutes. He played on the 3rd line exclusively with limited pp time while being a quality penalty killer. Defensively he is top 20 in forwards for points in regards to zone starts and takeways v giveaways.

Anyone suggesting Garland is without value is talking out of their butt because he is bordering on an elite producer as a winger with his ice time. The Canucks need him FAR more than they need to remove him from their line up. SO any trade involving him is a stand alone deal or part of a massive package with another team but NOT Carolina as I don't see the need for him from their point of view

Secondly re the Canes and Canucks potential trade: If there is a trade though here I strongly see Hronek being part of the package going back if the Canucks can not retain him for $7.25 or less (caveat being they qualify him and then trade him during the season if they can't hammer a deal out)

The Canucks need desperately to get rid of Mikheyev and right now Pesce is kind of a sink in Carolina while at the same time being valued by numerous individuals on this forum in the Canucks camp.

It would probably look like a package deal of:

Hronek
Podkolzin
Mikheyev
Silovs or Pick (supplements the Mikheyev contract)

For

Necas
Pesce (rights)
Pick

Sure that might not be a value for value deal but it checks a ton of boxes for both camps.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Necas has 2 more RFA years?

Needs a new contract where he wants to be paid.

He had an amazing year last year and was 4th in scoring this year.

It's sort of fascinating that Garland had 42 ESP and Necas had 40 but one Is worth far more because the other gets more PP time

Of coarse Necas scored over 70.

I wouldn't do Garland for Necas straight up if I was the Hurricanes but I do feel his value may be over instated by fans.

Hronek for Necas may make the most sense if Hroneks ask doesn't lower but Carolina may not want to pay Hroneks ask.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Vancouver fan - I don't think Garland is an appropriate return for Necas, they'll be aiming higher, as they should.
I don't think anyone disagrees with your comment. Garland certainly would not be the main piece, but if Carolina is looking for futures to save cap, he could be used in a deal to offset some salary.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Vancouver fan - I don't think Garland is an appropriate return for Necas, they'll be aiming higher, as they should.

I think Garland has become part of the core tbh. His tenacity and passion is exactly what Tochett is all about and the culture that Tochett is trying to instill.

If a trade happens, i think it will be something like

Hoglander
Pettersson-Dman
2nd round pick

I dont think Necas is in the 1st round pick/value range.

This is essentially a value of 3x 2nd round pick.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
There definitely seems to be alot of smoke between Canucks and Canes.

I wonder if Silovs has shown enough with his Latvia worlds performance and this year's playoff run to be a main piece that Carolina would want in return for Necas, along with other pieces. Freddy is only signed for 1 more year, and we all know he isnt the answer.
main piece? no chance. Not to mention we already have 3 NHL goalies under contract this coming season.

Canes have sniffed around Boeser and Garland in the past, something based around Garland ++ would make some sense.

Reactions: SnS

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
So let's see Necas has fallen out of favour in NC and they don't want to resign him because the cap hit would be too high related to his performance and they want to trade for Primo assets that give excess cap value to the Canucks.

I am sure it is unpopular but a more realistic deal would probably be Hoglander (Primo Value asset in relation to his salary) and Mikheylev (low value asset) for KK (negative value asset) with cap retention and an unsigned Necas (who may or may not give value commensurate with his new contract).

NC likely aren't going to get Hronek or Willander in the deal, nor should they.

• Haha
Reactions: SnS

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
No it doesn't. IMO there's zero chance Canes take Mikheyev.
That cap hit being offset by a supplementary pick (1st or 2nd) and Silovs/Podkolzin under a new GM might actually make it an attractive take. A new GM or even Tulsky if he's there as a long term interim could potentially weaponize that meagre cap space.

You know better than I do, as I am unfamiliar with the necessary needs of the Canes but 2 prospects a pick and a top 4 RHD for Pesce's rights and Necas for taking on 2 years of a questionable contract doesn't necessarily seem like bad value at first blush.

But again, I have no idea of the needs of the Canes org let alone the direction a new or interim GM might take the team.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Something around Hronek and Necas makes some sense for both teams. And the projected salary is basically a wash.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Silovs has zero appeal as an asset to Carolina. He’s a fine goalie prospect who can hold his head high after being dropped into the deep end but the Canes have a better goalie prospect in Kochetkov and Andersen and Martin under contract for next year plus another talented Russian goalie prospect further down the road. They don’t need a goalie prospect for now and they don’t need a goalie prospect for the future.

He should really not be added in as some sort of makeweight here. In this particular case, he doesn’t more the “value” ledger one iota for the other team.

Garland had a good season for sure but I somehow doubt the Canes want to divest Necas and get smaller in the process. If Necas played with the passion of Garland, he’d be an untouchable star…but Garland’s size still brings limitations. The Hurricanes don’t exactly have a formidably physical or large top group to begin with. Hoglander would be a significant value add but he is not a centerpiece for Necas.

But yeah…no way the Canucks should trade Willander or Lekki either. So where’s the middle ground? I dunno. I tend to think Hronek and his new deal for Necas and his new deal is rather sensible but seems neither side loves it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Szechwan

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Silovs would be an add to a package. He currently doesn't hold that much value. He has shown some promise. But that is all.

Without selling off our future. Canucks are limited to what we can offer. Hronek / Hog / Silovs /2nd rd pick. That's pretty much what we are working with. I am looking forward to our future prospects. I really don't want to trade any of them away .

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
That cap hit being offset by a supplementary pick (1st or 2nd) and Silovs/Podkolzin under a new GM might actually make it an attractive take. A new GM or even Tulsky if he's there as a long term interim could potentially weaponize that meagre cap space.

You know better than I do, as I am unfamiliar with the necessary needs of the Canes but 2 prospects a pick and a top 4 RHD for Pesce's rights and Necas for taking on 2 years of a questionable contract doesn't necessarily seem like bad value at first blush.

But again, I have no idea of the needs of the Canes org let alone the direction a new or interim GM might take the team.
The only way I see Mikheyev coming to Carolina is a deal for Kotkaniemi. Could be part of this, could be separate. I could see Carolina taking a overpaid defensive wing in place of buying out Kotkaniemi, especially if they have to replace Martinook.

And that’s assuming Mikheyev doesn’t have Carolina on his NTC.

Hronek and Necas makes sense as the basis for a deal if both sides allow the other to negotiate and they can both reach longer term contracts. Have to say I can’t remember the last time an RFA deal was done where both sides got to negotiate ahead of time.

Edit to add: if Hronek is really set on $8M AAV, I expect we will hear this deal fell apart after negotiation. Carolina’s not going to $8M on a D they haven’t seen in RBA’s system, and I can’t see them moving Necas for a one year rental without a sizable add.

Finally, don’t expect to see a major shift in Carolina with a new GM. They took a committee approach to GM and Tulsky was a major part of that committee. They will likely hire someone to deal with other GMs and the press but that will be just another voice among the group making decisions.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
So let's see Necas has fallen out of favour in NC and they don't want to resign him because the cap hit would be too high related to his performance and they want to trade for Primo assets that give excess cap value to the Canucks.

I am sure it is unpopular but a more realistic deal would probably be Hoglander (Primo Value asset in relation to his salary) and Mikheylev (low value asset) for KK (negative value asset) with cap retention and an unsigned Necas (who may or may not give value commensurate with his new contract).

NC likely aren't going to get Hronek or Willander in the deal, nor should they.
The Canes aren’t going to completely kill Necas’ considerable trade value by attaching KK to him when they can dump KK for a 1% cap hit.

That’s absurd asset management.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The problem with Hronek for Necas from a Van pov is that leaves a massive top pairing hole in the Van Dcore.

They litterally dont have any other RD signed to the roster besides Juulsen as Myers is a free agent.

Maybe a Hronek for Necas trade happens after free agency to allow Van to secure some RHD.

Van has also had a massive revolving door on finding a partner for Hughes. It wasnt until this year that Hronek seemed to finally fill a long term potential partner for Hughes. He helped elevate Hughes's game into Norris calibre. I'm not so sure they are willing to walk away from that. Maybe if they think they can get Tanev in Free Agency.

After free agency is gonna be too late

Reactions: DaveG and SnS

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Mikheyev for Kotkaniemi makes no sense for CAR when they can buy him out so cheaply. I don’t think they’ll get much of anything in return if they do trade Kotkaniemi, but I’d be shocked if they end up taking back a bad contract when they don’t have to. The length of the buyout sucks, but it instantly frees up $4M for minimal cost, makes more sense to go that route if they can’t dump him for a late pick/future considerations.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad