Dewalt vs Stihl vs Ryobi

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Dewalt is my battery platform. Usually have good deals at Home Depot.
I picked them over Makita because IIRC their weed whip was better for what I was looking for.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Dewalt is my battery platform. Usually have good deals at Home Depot.
I picked them over Makita because IIRC their weed whip was better for what I was looking for.
Does the battery "platform" approach work? I guess my first question should have been gas v battery.

New house has a decent size back yard, flower beds, shrubs, large shed etc .. quite the step up from my townhouse tiny lawn

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Ryobi is garbage
Dewalt isn't much better
I'd go milwaukee if they made the tools you are after so Stihl
I've used the stihl weed Wacker, it's good.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Does the battery "platform" approach work? I guess my first question should have been gas v battery.

New house has a decent size back yard, flower beds, shrubs, large shed etc .. quite the step up from my townhouse tiny lawn

what do you mean "decent sized?" My yard is 7/10 of an acre. I have an 80v kobalt weedeater, chainsaw, and pushmower that works fine, though I have to recharge the battery once to finish mowing. If you have a yard any bigger than mine, I'd get gas and start looking at riders if you have an acre or more.

I've used the chainsaw and weedeater on my mom's 3 acre home and they work fine. The battery I use is 5ah, so it's a big battery. I trimmed a hundred or so trees with the chainsaw and the battery was still going. Cut up a large maple tree that fell in our yard and didn't need to swap batteries.

If you go battery, go all one platform. Makes it easy. Like I said, I own Kobalt and haven't had an issue. My advice, though, is to buy what you need. Then see if you need more or if you can make due with something else (like hand trimmers instead of powered hedge trimmers).

If you're looking for power tools (drills, saws, etc.) it's a bit of a different story but even then I think the big question is how much and how hard they are actually being used versus name brands. Personal experience is that we never use our toys as much as we think we will.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Its a 9000 sq foot lot ... which is pretty damn big for being located 1 mile outside the DC line. Sounds like I shouldnt have any problem getting the lawn cut on one charge so that means going battery all the way.

Def going one platform.

Thank you all for your input.

^^ I think Im with this model for mower .. priced at $600 when the smaller version is $350 but reading reviews the battery life on the smaller one gives me pause.

Stihl appears to be the winner

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Its a 9000 sq foot lot ... which is pretty damn big for being located 1 mile outside the DC line. Sounds like I shouldnt have any problem getting the lawn cut on one charge so that means going battery all the way.

Def going one platform.

Thank you all for your input.

^^ I think Im with this model for mower .. priced at $600 when the smaller version is $350 but reading reviews the battery life on the smaller one gives me pause.

Stihl appears to be the winner
If your longest span is less than 150 feet I'd just go corded tools. Get a 100' cord and a 50 , F barrettes/chargers that all will eventually die while working or die for good , batterie replacement cost almost the same as buying new again, maybe not the mower but you get the idea. I'm old school and run cords on everything but a small impact and drill.
I can't imagine a mower with a big blade cutting thick tall grass without murdering batteries plus your investment will be 1/2 with corded
..think of all the fun you can have running cords over and F-ing them up.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
FWIW we bought the battery Stihl weed wacker last week. I finaly used it today and absolutely hate it.

Youd think you'd just squeeze the safety switch and the accelerator like the gas ones, but nope. They added a third switch that you have to push with your thumb. So you have to hold the first two switches in a weird position just so your thumb can operate the third switch as the actual go button. Its so f***ing dumb and my hand is literally cramping as we speak.

Do not recommend

Edit: ok so i went back and looked at the stupid thing and i got that thumb switch to lock somehow. Dunno how I did it though. Then was called for dinner. I'll figure it out ffs. Still stupid IMO

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
FWIW we bought the battery Stihl weed wacker last week. I finaly used it today and absolutely hate it.

Youd think you'd just squeeze the safety switch and the accelerator like the gas ones, but nope. They added a third switch that you have to push with your thumb. So you have to hold the first two switches in a weird position just so your thumb can operate the third switch as the actual go button. Its so f***ing dumb and my hand is literally cramping as we speak.

Do not recommend

Edit: ok so i went back and looked at the stupid thing and i got that thumb switch to lock somehow. Dunno how I did it though. Then was called for dinner. I'll figure it out ffs. Still stupid IMO

yeah, that seems stupid. Mine just has a duel trigger which seems pretty common now.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I miss my gas Stihl =( worked fine when i put it away, but sadly my Dad was the first one to get to it this year. He couldnt start it so he just started taking things apart and made things worse. Stihl dealer said it would cost more to fix then its worth.

My life with Dad and his Parkinson's and dimentia *sighhh

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
If your longest span is less than 150 feet I'd just go corded tools. Get a 100' cord and a 50 , F barrettes/chargers that all will eventually die while working or die for good , batterie replacement cost almost the same as buying new again, maybe not the mower but you get the idea. I'm old school and run cords on everything but a small impact and drill.
I can't imagine a mower with a big blade cutting thick tall grass without murdering batteries plus your investment will be 1/2 with corded
..think of all the fun you can have running cords over and F-ing them up.
Currently use a cord, lend it to a neighborhood kid so he can earn some summer money . I go through a lot of cords with that kid.

Honestly .. as someone whose always lived in apartments or townhouses .. finally moving into a single family home w decent yard and shed .. really wanted a ride one.

As a kid we had one and the speeds were a turtle or a rabbit.

Backyard is below .. its a push mower yard

MDMC2134092_20_3[1].jpg

Reactions: TheAngryHank

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
I'm a milwaukee guy for tools, and an Ego guy more lawn maintenance. Have the Ego mower, chainsaw, trimmer, snowblower, blower, and 400 watt inverter. Great products.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
+1 for corded.

more important than brand is what are the structural/adjustment parts made of? Look for a metal deck and metal height adjuster on a lawnmower, metal pole(s) on a trimmer, etc. Plastic in those places will wear out on you in to time regardless of the brand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad