Devils will win the President's Trophy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
They added Noesen, Tatar, and Cotter while losing Holtz and McLeod. I think the depth is a little better. No idea why Fitz is ignoring the center position though

I’m not following this thinking and I’ve seen it a lot.

Hughes and Hischier as top two line centres is among the best 1-2 in league, even if Hughes isn’t great at faceoffs, they’re not about to make him a non Center.

At 3c, both Haula and Mercer are capable of filling that role, though one of them will likely land in the top 6 on a wing. Whichever one is left as 3c is at least an average 3c, not a terrible one.

And Lazar is a better than average 4c. Sure he’s a step down from McLeod but that was beyond the team’s control - there really aren’t / weren’t better 4c’s available as free agents and it wasn’t worth asset loss to acquire a signed one (look what the other McLeod cost Buffalo - no thank you!)

If Fitz has ignored anything this summer it’s top 6 wing - Tatar is a downgrade from Toffoli, and continuing to play the ‘promote one of Mercer or Haula to top 6 wing’ game isn’t my preference - my ideal has them both on the third line, but we don’t have enough wing depth to keep them both there.

Last edited:

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Sorry, but my French is a bit rusty.

No idea why you decided to answer me in French.

It's Latin dear friends.

At this point I feel sad for other Hab's fans and to Quebecer's at large.

What for? Our rebuild's humming along amigo. We're(many of us) just perplexed on why you guys are so chipper. You would think your last season would've tempered your expectations.

He's just upset because he got caught lying. He won't actually answer anything simply because he knows he's wrong.

Are you going to stand here and tell me that NJD fans haven't been spouting off in multiple threads just how kick-ass you guys are? I'm just trying to keep you guys level-headed and humble. I mean what happens if you guys get another couple of other major injuries? Are ya gonna "coulda, woulda, shoulda" this? Are ya just gonna go "just watch us next year!" Look guys I love Kirby Dach but if he gets another major injury this season most Habs fans WILL give up on him. You guys have to realize some guys are just injury-prone and don't have NHL toughness in 'em.

We all think that the Devils will win the Presidents trophy and Stanley Cup.

I think you do. I just think you're some youngblood who wasn't around to see Brodeur's Devils win those Cups and is peeved at your relative low-standing in the modern NHL. Just wondering, would you guys trade Jack Hughes for prime Marty Brodeur? I would. I saw Brodeur play, he took an average team with heart all the way.

9-1 imposing win for the future Devils tonight, and against your neighbors, the Sens @viceroy

Wow. I didn't know the Sens had enough prospects to field a team. OTT has some great young guys but the prospect pool is thin. Real thin.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I origiinally agreed that it's possible. I'm not a big Devil's fan (now that Vanecek is gone I'll follow even less closely unless Palat has a really good season). But I feel for them. I feel they assemble a great team and then injuries derail them. Hughes and Nemec potentially hurt to start and then the 'other Hughes', to me, is in the top tier of forwards when healthy. Legit think he'd be over 120 points if he could play all 82 games this season.

Devil's may be a bit cursed.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's Latin dear friends.

What for? Our rebuild's humming along amigo. We're(many of us) just perplexed on why you guys are so chipper. You would think your last season would've tempered your expectations.

Are you going to stand here and tell me that NJD fans haven't been spouting off in multiple threads just how kick-ass you guys are? I'm just trying to keep you guys level-headed and humble. I mean what happens if you guys get another couple of other major injuries? Are ya gonna "coulda, woulda, shoulda" this? Are ya just gonna go "just watch us next year!" Look guys I love Kirby Dach but if he gets another major injury this season most Habs fans WILL give up on him. You guys have to realize some guys are just injury-prone and don't have NHL toughness in 'em.

I think you do. I just think you're some youngblood who wasn't around to see Brodeur's Devils win those Cups and is peeved at your relative low-standing in the modern NHL. Just wondering, would you guys trade Jack Hughes for prime Marty Brodeur? I would. I saw Brodeur play, he took an average team with heart all the way.

Wow. I didn't know the Sens had enough prospects to field a team. OTT has some great young guys but the prospect pool is thin. Real thin.
Go to the NJ board. Plenty of negativity. Beyond that you have a relative small number of NJ fans who will even post on these main boards because of all the miserable misrepresentations made on here. I think the overwhelming majority of NJ posters are optimistic the team will rebound. How far is yet to be determined. Hopefully they can compete with the Rangers and Canes but if they are derailed by injuries or bad goaltending they will struggle as any team would. I haven’t seen anyone beyond one poster suggest they will actually win anything. Name two that have said the team will actually win anything beyond just making the playoffs.

Reactions: HBK27 and Dialamo

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I origiinally agreed that it's possible. I'm not a big Devil's fan (now that Vanecek is gone I'll follow even less closely unless Palat has a really good season). But I feel for them. I feel they assemble a great team and then injuries derail them. Hughes and Nemec potentially hurt to start and then the 'other Hughes', to me, is in the top tier of forwards when healthy. Legit think he'd be over 120 points if he could play all 82 games this season.

Devil's may be a bit cursed.
Since its inception in 1982, the Devils have won 3 Stanley Cup Championships in 1994-95, 1999-00, and 2002-03. The Devils have also recorded 5 conference championships and 9 division championships.
Cursed?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Since its inception in 1982, the Devils have won 3 Stanley Cup Championships in 1994-95, 1999-00, and 2002-03. The Devils have also recorded 5 conference championships and 9 division championships.
Cursed?
That's over 20 seasons ago.

I'll change it for you though. I feel that, lately, the Devil's are cursed. Better?

Reactions: Fatass and viceroy

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I watched the Devils win cups and Brodeur is the reason I became in a Devils fan in the first place.

It's posters like you who give Hab's fans a bad rep. :shakehead

Reactions: HBK27

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I feel they assemble a great team and then injuries derail them.

That's the thing. I think they have great players but a great team? I think a great team even with a depleted roster could've made a run at the playoffs last season.

Go to the NJ board. Plenty of negativity. Beyond that you have a relative small number of NJ fans who will even post on these main boards because of all the miserable misrepresentations made on here.

Happy to hear that. Just reading the Main Boards would make an outsider think that your fandom would be just chockfull of delusional yahoos. Good to hear that common sense prevails on the Devils' boards.

It's posters like you who give Hab's fans a bad rep. :shakehead

Nice ad hominem attack there hermano. It's sad to think that some just show up to slag the Habs and if they get just a bit of push back they try to gaslight you.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
That's the thing. I think they have great players but a great team? I think a great team even with a depleted roster could've made a run at the playoffs last season.

Happy to hear that. Just reading the Main Boards would make an outsider think that your fandom would be just chockfull of delusional yahoos. Good to hear that common sense prevails on the Devils' boards.

Nice ad hominem attack there hermano. It's sad to think that some just show up to slag the Habs and if they get just a bit of push back they try to gaslight you.
Are you going to provide an example other than the thread starter and one other poster yet?

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Sigh, as a Flyers fan, I'm worried that the Devils will be closer to what they were 2 years ago than last year. I think it really is as simple as bad goaltending. Markstrom/Allen will be better than the Vanecek/Schmid tandem they had most of last season. President's Trophy? Can't rule it out, but unlikely. They will comfortably make the playoffs. Really, the Devils randomly sucking last year is what gave the Flyers a chance in the first place.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Devils were incredibly soft last year. Not only should the goaltending be much better but they shouldn’t be so easy to push around. Bringing in Cotter and Noesen for the bottom 6 and Dillon and Pesce on D is going to help a lot.

Reactions: Dialamo

My3Sons

Sponsor
Sigh, as a Flyers fan, I'm worried that the Devils will be closer to what they were 2 years ago than last year. I think it really is as simple as bad goaltending. Markstrom/Allen will be better than the Vanecek/Schmid tandem they had most of last season. President's Trophy? Can't rule it out, but unlikely. They will comfortably make the playoffs. Really, the Devils randomly sucking last year is what gave the Flyers a chance in the first place.
The Flyers probably need a little more time to rebuild before worrying about how they fare compared to their rivals. Thr new regime is approaching it thr right way and the team will rebound sooner than later. The good news is that when you get old you don’t agonize as much and while individual moments are disappointing you don’t let it get the better of you anymore.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
The Flyers probably need a little more time to rebuild before worrying about how they fare compared to their rivals. Thr new regime is approaching it thr right way and the team will rebound sooner than later. The good news is that when you get old you don’t agonize as much and while individual moments are disappointing you don’t let it get the better of you anymore.
Oh the agonizing part was having no expectations coming into the season, the team spending the whole season giving you no choice but to believe, and then when you're past the hard part, suddenly you're getting blown out by Montreal, Buffalo and Columbus, still have an outside shot in Game 82, but no.

With Torts behind the bench, the Flyers are what they are. A hardworking team who plays solid team defense, ok goaltending(with two question marks this year, what else is new), but lacking skill. The only new player this year is Michkov. The Flyers are in an awkward place right now.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Oh the agonizing part was having no expectations coming into the season, the team spending the whole season giving you no choice but to believe, and then when you're past the hard part, suddenly you're getting blown out by Montreal, Buffalo and Columbus, still have an outside shot in Game 82, but no.

With Torts behind the bench, the Flyers are what they are. A hardworking team who plays solid team defense, ok goaltending(with two question marks this year, what else is new), but lacking skill. The only new player this year is Michkov. The Flyers are in an awkward place right now.
NJ made that awkward spot work when they added Hall and Hischier for a season but it was fool’s gold. I know it’s not fun but two more skilled forwards and one more defender and they will be back. That’s doable over the next two years. Hang in there.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

I just want the Devils/Flyers rivalry to be a thing again. The Devils have the rangers and the Flyers have the Pens but it was nice having a secondary rivalry to lean on.:m-sad:

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
I just want the Devils/Flyers rivalry to be a thing again. The Devils have the rangers and the Flyers have the Pens but it was nice having a secondary rivalry to lean on.:m-sad:
For me it's always a thing. I've lived in Flyers country all my life, and yet somehow my brother's a Devils fan, then my mom(not previously into hockey at all) who's from North Jersey decided to follow him, then my sister followed her. I have lots of cousins who are Devils fans, too. I'm also just the right age to say the Devils got in the way most often growing up. For years the Atlantic came down to the Flyers and Devils. The Turnpike Series will ALWAYS matter to me.

I went to the outdoor game last year with my brother, and maybe since there was more alcohol involved, the interactions walking out were like old times. There was even almost a real fight about Taylor Ham vs. Pork Roll. But yes, the rivalry will be back in full swing once both teams are good at the same time. Really not since 2012 has this been the case.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Are you going to provide an example other than the thread starter and one other poster yet?

No. It's clear that there was a tacit agreement from much of your fandom on the Main Boards that the NJD are a contender for all the greatest of prizes this season. If you agree with me that you aren't and that you guys don't move as a bloc say so.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
No. It's clear that there was a tacit agreement from much of your fandom on the Main Boards that the NJD are a contender for all the greatest of prizes this season. If you agree with me that you aren't and that you guys don't move as a bloc say so.
based on all your posts in this thread It's clear that you hate the Hab's organization and think Suzuki sucks, Slafkovsky is a bust, Hutson won't make it in the NHL, and Demidov won't leave the KHL.

man.. It's sad that a leaf fan like you pretends to be a fan of another team.:shakehead

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
girl-sure-jan.gif

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
New Jersey will be a a top three team team when Jeremy Colliton is gone.

I think New Jersey has one of the best rosters on paper, but the big issue is Jeremy Colliton. Keefe is an unreal coach as I believe he's going to have excellent chemistry with Jack Hughes, but what I've learned about Jeremy Colliton is he's extremely hard to get along with and is pretty much Babcock 2.0.

Colliton is actually a very good coach as a leader, he's just extremely stubborn and sees all his players as just another person. Not much of a people person, has his mind solely focused on winning.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Of their adds I think Pesce is the outstanding one. One of the Devils issues though is staying healthy. Sometimes players get a new lease on life changing teams....sometimes they don't fit as well as hoped. Markstrom is getting up in years. He could be really good but from season to season he's had some issues with consistency.

I do think the Devils if they keep away from injuries to key players make the playoffs. President's trophy? Probably not but that goes for pretty much every team in the league. I definitely didn't expect the Rangers to win it going into last season and I'm a Rangers fan. I definitely don't expect them to win it this year either. As well winning it and even getting to the conference finals which counts as a playoff run they still fell short of the real goal. And I don't look at the Devils as one of the top Stanley Cup contenders this year at least as of now. I'm a little wobbly on the Rangers as well. I'm not crazy about our D. I think it in particular got exposed last year and we haven't upgraded it really at all.

Right now I wouldn't have a favorite for either the President's Trophy or the Stanley Cup. If the Panthers could have held on to some of the guys they lost it would be them for both. They're still one of the prime contenders for both IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad