GDT: Devils vs. Red Wings - 7:30 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Zajac has been this team's best player this season, at least considering that Hall has been out.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Sooooooo, Lappin looked toats awesome again. DSP and everyone else 3rd/2nd line and below do what he is doing. It seems every Devils goal he is in front if the net.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Cory is not playing his absolute best but come on now. Expecting him to play well consistently behind a team playing this loose defensively is a pipe dream. He's still coming up with big stops that have helped keep his team in the games.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Deb speculating on whether Hynes might starts Cory again tomorrow and change his mind on starting Kinkaid.:shakehead

If Kinkaid was playing as poorly as he was last year, I might not play him tomorrow night. But there's no reason not to play him. Throw Cory back in against Winnipeg or whoever next week. I'm not even sure if we're playing Winnipeg or Chicago first, I know we play them after Pittsburgh though. Start Cory against whoever we play on Tuesday and give Kinkaid a shot tomorrow night.

And our record when scoring first is downright ugly.

Cory deserves to sit two in a row with the way he's been playing. Lately he and Henrique have been competing to see who's the smelliest pile of trash

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
At least we picked up 3 out of 4 points playing some pretty ugly hockey and we actually scored some goals in the last two. I'm sure Cory will bounce back, I wonder if he'll start tomorrow.

I can't handle these tie or one goal games lol. I just want to sit back and enjoy some beverages with a 2 goal lead and coast to victory but they always have to make it interesting.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
December has been Cory's worst month over the course of his career, so maybe he's just getting it out of the way early.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
To be honest I'm just happy to get a point out of this one. The goals were nice, too. We're better than what we've shown the last few games, and when Hall gets back we'll take off again. I think we can put together another long winning streak at some point this season.

Boston also managed to lose in regulation tonight, so we actually gained ground.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Cory is one of the two goats for letting in that tying goal with a second left in the 2nd. That is a back breaking goal and they came out flat to start the 3rd as a result and gave up another.

Palms is the other. Absolutely can't be taking a penalty under 2 minutes left in a tie game. Put us behind the eight ball right at the start of OT.

Overall this was a very bad defensive game. We got a point because Detroit is also horrible defensively and the goaltending was bad.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
If BB's inside post shot in the 2nd goes in I think we win in regulatio.
Det was running around a lot at that point and Mrazek was shakey.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If BB's inside post shot in the 2nd goes in I think we win in regulatio.
Det was running around a lot at that point and Mrazek was shakey.

If that or Camm scores at the end of the 2nd we definitely win in regulation. Even not I think we win it if we didn't give that 3rd goal up.

The good news is Camm seems to be back to good Camm.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
If that or Camm scores at the end of the 2nd we definitely win in regulation. Even not I think we win it if we didn't give that 3rd goal up.

The good news is Camm seems to be back to good Camm.

Yeah, Camm has been excellent since his return.

Two wacky games, 3 out of 4 points and fans can't say they were not entertained.

But I'm sure Hynes and staff see a lot of stuff to fine tune.

Would like to be surprised tomorrow night, in a good way.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm honestly semi-impressed they came back to get a point after the game went from should have been 4-2 to 3-4 in like a minute, that sequence at the end of the second period gave me Carolina playoff flashbacks. Of course if they didn't completely punt the first 25 minutes of the game it might have been another story too, they've come out flat too often lately - it's almost as if they think they can win with half-efforts now. This ain't the 2001 Devils, they can't get away with that ****

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm in the boat where I'll take any points we can get, especially while Hall is out. We got 3 out of 4 points in these last two games where we probably deserved 0.

Once Hall is back, this team will start rolling and teams aren't going to be able to play this full press they are playing on us now. Hall changes the entire game when he's in the line-up with the way he carries the puck.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm honestly semi-impressed they came back to get a point after the game went from should have been 4-2 to 3-4 in like a minute, that sequence at the end of the second period gave me Carolina playoff flashbacks. Of course if they didn't completely punt the first 25 minutes of the game it might have been another story too, they've come out flat too often lately - it's almost as if they think they can win with half-efforts now. This ain't the 2001 Devils, they can't get away with that ****

They have shown some guts the past two games, but ya it never should of came to that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory is not playing his absolute best but come on now. Expecting him to play well consistently behind a team playing this loose defensively is a pipe dream. He's still coming up with big stops that have helped keep his team in the games.
I don't think all of the goals have been bad and they're definitely not TERRIBLE goals, but there's quite a few that he usually stops. He looked even worse at the beginning of 14-15, so it's not the worst we've seen him play.
yup

there better not be anymore bashing of this guy around here for the forseeable future
I'm not sure if he'll reach the 62 points that he's currently on pace for, but he's having a really good season. Most people won't leave that ugly 14-15 season that he had in the past, that's why we continue to read people complaining about him. That was clearly an anomaly season for him. He's also one of about literally a handful of guys that I've felt comfortable with on the ice at any given time over the past couple of games, no matter what zone it's in.
Cory deserves to sit two in a row with the way he's been playing. Lately he and Henrique have been competing to see who's the smelliest pile of trash
I think Cory's been bad the last few games, his save percentage this November is awful. But it's mostly just been the last 4 games, where at least one, if not two stoppable goals are going in. Henrique has been mostly meh all season though.

Cory isn't allowing brutal backbreaking goals, like that one against Colorado from the dead angle 2 years ago, but they're fairly stoppable. He's leaving too much short side, off his angle more than usual, rebound control was particularly a problem in the few games prior but not so much tonight. He's had quite a few pucks go through him, after getting a big piece of. Like one in Anaheim and one in LA. I won't count that backhander that went through his arm against Toronto, that was from like 5 feet away a point blank range. But he's having a streak of some bad ones.

At the same time, it's not the complete end of the world, as I watched Reimer allow 4 bad goals in one game last week. And they were mostly complete garbage, stoppable at the very best. Just brutally soft goals.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Well, my winning streak at the Rock has come to an end, sadly. Result was disappointing, because I really felt like the Devils should have been able to beat the Leafs and Wings, but one point is better than none. It was good to see Zacha score again. Cammy looked great for a second game in a row, Rico and Palms seemed better than they had been most of the season, but the power play is abysmal. It was just unacceptable to give up those two goals in the first period. Took the wind out of the team's sails. Also, I think Cory should've had that goal at the end of the second period, but the team as a whole needs to play better defense, as well. Not the result I would've wanted going into the the road trip, but could have been worse.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
They've been giving up more shots this year, but now that Cory (or Kinkaid) isn't bailing them out the last few games it's catching up with them.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
They've been giving up more shots this year, but now that Cory (or Kinkaid) isn't bailing them out the last few games it's catching up with them.

Yeah, I don't think Cory has been as strong this year as he was last year, but the team defense as a whole has also been weaker. And the whole team should be ashamed of the PP creating more offense for the Red Wings than the Devils. Defensive structure and PP need attention.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't handle these tie or one goal games lol. I just want to sit back and enjoy some beverages with a 2 goal lead and coast to victory but they always have to make it interesting.
Well, there was the Anaheim game last week, to enjoy those beverages with the 2 goal lead.:sarcasm::help:
Palms is the other. Absolutely can't be taking a penalty under 2 minutes left in a tie game. Put us behind the eight ball right at the start of OT.
I'm just as annoyed that he took the penalty because it caused us to play 4 on 4 the entire OT after the period ended, just as much at the fact that he took the dumb O zone penalty and it could have cost us a regulation loss. I've noticed for quite a while that we aren't very good at all at 4 on 4. It's not his fault that there wasn't a whistle between the PP ending and the OT winner, but if he didn't take that penalty then we would have had some 3 on 3 time, barring another penalty. Yeah, we could have lost at 3 on 3 too, but I liked our chances much more of winning or surviving for the shooting and winning there.
I feel bad for ripping them for the LAK and San Jose games now. While we've won games with lineups like that, I don't expect us to beat those teams with the lineups we were icing those games. But I thought the compete level was meh. The compete level was completely non-existent in the last two games during the 1st period's of both. They were some of the worst showings I've seen since some point last year.

Actually, our 1st period in each of the last two games was worse than any period we've had since the last time we played the CBJ. Not even kidding. Or at least the last time we played them in Columbus, when we got blown out by them. We got blown out of the building by them the last two times we played there. I can say with the utmost confidence that these were worse than any period since our last game in Columbus.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
We were too loose overall and too casual too often.

Looked like Philly tonight and even a little like the Oilers of the 80s without the superstars.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well, my winning streak at the Rock has come to an end, sadly. Result was disappointing, because I really felt like the Devils should have been able to beat the Leafs and Wings, but one point is better than none. It was good to see Zacha score again. Cammy looked great for a second game in a row, Rico and Palms seemed better than they had been most of the season, but the power play is abysmal. It was just unacceptable to give up those two goals in the first period. Took the wind out of the team's sails. Also, I think Cory should've had that goal at the end of the second period, but the team as a whole needs to play better defense, as well. Not the result I would've wanted going into the the road trip, but could have been worse.
I thought of you and my friend, who had to suffer through the horrendous 2014 Black Friday game against the Red Wings. Which featured a botched full 2 minute 5 on 3 PP, but at least we did allow a shorty that night.:shakehead

That same friend usually visits back in Jersey for the holidays, but didn't go this year. He was saying that if he did go, he would have went to this game. As he doesn't like hanging out with his future in-laws, they're all a bunch of drunks during the holidays.

I texted him asking him if he's happy he didn't attend this one. His first reply back was with no words and 4 of the emoji's that are featured in my avatar.:laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yep. Structure and effort were not where they needed to be. Spent too much of the game looking like they were feeling the impact of excessive turkey consumption...

I don't like turkey much myself. I'd rather eat the kind you get a deli meat than the cooked turkey at Thanksgiving. I usually have a wing or two and a leg and that's it. It doesn't taste that good to me and gives me hiccups if I swallow too much of it at once.

I've heard eating a lot of it causes excess gas and discomfort, many players looked like they felt that tonight. I never eat enough of it to experience that.:laugh:

Although they did look pretty bad on Wednesday too. Must have had bad food on the flight back from San Jose or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad