Devils twitter account chirps Sabres for starting season 0-2

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Yeah make fun of the handicap kid.

Low.

If this was almost any other team I'd call it a good chirp. Imagine doing this to San Jose.

Some Sabres fans want relocation because we haven't made the playoffs in 13 years.

I get it's supposed to be a playful chirp, but it hits between the legs.
A good slap on the face while already down.

Hope you got your giggles in devils twitter. you go girl

• Haha
Reactions: viceroy and Xirik

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Serious question... are the Devils this good? Are the Sabres this bad? I'm reading too much into 2 games?

The Devils are probably closer to the 112 point season than how they finished last year. They've gotten a quality starter in Markstrom and a quality backup in Allen. Hamilton is back and healthy unlike last year when he was out for most of it and it showed. The Devils also continue to have one of the best feeder systems in the league where they can plug in gems like Nemec and Casey on their third pair while waiting on gems like LHughes and Pesce to get back from injury. Being healthy seems like the only obstacle to a great season, but that can be said for many teams.

As for Buffalo, they looked like they did most of last year when present with a structured opponent who takes away the middle of the ice. Their forwards are still on the wrong side of the puck, still aren't supporting the defense in their own zone, and still are trying to make fancy instead of effective plays. If they buff some of that out, they're probably closer to the 91 point team from 2 years ago but they aren't in the same class as the Devils. Their top 6 is still having issues. Against teams that are either playing small or are thought to be lower in the standings, I'm sure they'll have some nights when they carve people up (the night Thompson had the five goals playing the depleted Blue Jackets) but against contending level teams? Nah. It's going to take goaltending being on a heater for them to compete IMO.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
The Devils are probably closer to the 112 point season than how they finished last year. They've gotten a quality starter in Markstrom and a quality backup in Allen. Hamilton is back and healthy unlike last year when he was out for most of it and it showed. The Devils also continue to have one of the best feeder systems in the league where they can plug in gems like Nemec and Casey on their third pair while waiting on gems like LHughes and Pesce to get back from injury. Being healthy seems like the only obstacle to a great season, but that can be said for many teams.

As for Buffalo, they looked like they did most of last year when present with a structured opponent who takes away the middle of the ice. Their forwards are still on the wrong side of the puck, still aren't supporting the defense in their own zone, and still are trying to make fancy instead of effective plays. If they buff some of that out, they're probably closer to the 91 point team from 2 years ago but they aren't in the same class as the Devils. Their top 6 is still having issues. Against teams that are either playing small or are thought to be lower in the standings, I'm sure they'll have some nights when they carve people up (the night Thompson had the five goals playing the depleted Blue Jackets) but against contending level teams? Nah. It's going to take goaltending being on a heater for them to compete IMO.
Thanks

To be honest, there are certain teams I always see in preseason that I think will kill it. Devils, Sabres and Sens are always high on my 'going to be a contender list'. Curious how the rest of the season goes. Felt like Sens and Devils were done in by goaltending and bad luck (like you said) last year. I heard Nemec is a 5/6 on the Devils so that must be a damn good D core when healthy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thanks

To be honest, there are certain teams I always see in preseason that I think will kill it. Devils, Sabres and Sens are always high on my 'going to be a contender list'. Curious how the rest of the season goes. Felt like Sens and Devils were done in by goaltending and bad luck (like you said) last year. I heard Nemec is a 5/6 on the Devils so that must be a damn good D core when healthy.

The Devils defense is ridiculously deep right now. Enviable in who they can throw over the boards on any given night, TBH.

Much of Buffalo's pre-season (at least in North America) this year was their AHL team minus just a couple guys who are on the European trip working hard to show out. Against teams grinding through the pre-season they were more like guys trying to audition and be noticed so the effort level was high. *shrug* But when games start to matter and teams ice their full NHL compliment, I would think those guys would get smoked too (their loss against most of the Jackets squad where CBJ showed up for 1 period and took them apart).

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
The Devils defense is ridiculously deep right now. Enviable in who they can throw over the boards on any given night, TBH.

Much of Buffalo's pre-season (at least in North America) this year was their AHL team minus just a couple guys who are on the European trip working hard to show out. Against teams grinding through the pre-season they were more like guys trying to audition and be noticed so the effort level was high. *shrug* But when games start to matter and teams ice their full NHL compliment, I would think those guys would get smoked too (their loss against most of the Jackets squad where CBJ showed up for 1 period and took them apart).
It honestly reminds me of my Oil when we were climbing out of the ashes. We had so many good pieces (eg. 1OVs and top 5 picks) and would kill the preseason. Then we'd be out of playoffs by Xmas. Not saying that'll happen to buffalo but I see so many great pieces.. Byram, Dahlin and Power is a fantastic building block. Then you got some very good looking forwards. Benson, Thompson, Peterka all come to mind.

For the Oil I always felt it was management. Not sure what it is in Buffalo. Since I'm temporarily following them closer I'm reading a lot don't think Ruff is the guy. But I don't follow closely enough to say that is right or wrong.

Reactions: Chainshot

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

As soon as I saw they hired Ruff, my shoulders slumped. Not that he is the problem in Buffalo, but i also don't think he is the guy to lead them out the swamp on doubt and incompetence that they are in.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As soon as I saw they hired Ruff, my shoulders slumped. Not that he is the problem in Buffalo, but i also don't think he is the guy to lead them out the swamp on doubt and incompetence that they are in.

My issue is that they ran back almost the entire coaching staff with the only hire being elevating their AHL HC to NHL assistant. They didn't bring any of the people Lindy has worked with before on, didn't look for anyone outside of their group. And that's just asinine IMO. All the same voices who were okay with how they did things are still there, all of the blame went to Granato and then the team is trying to walk Ruff out like he is messianic in his return rather than just another retread NHL coach returning.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Just a FYI everyone this is the guy who makes up stuff and say's every Devils fan...

Bla bla bla. All I said was that some of your fandom have a crazy idea of their position vis-a-vis the rest of the league. You'd think you guys were dominant last season or something. I also said practically no one in your fandom was gainsaying these statements. Jeebus even your Social media account is acting a bully to a team that was ahead of yours last season.

We are damaged and a large portion of the former fan base is gone for good at this point. The only ones left are the ones too broken to leave.

Sad for you guys. I always want my Habs to win the Cup but if not I'd want the dogged Sabres fans to win it all.

The Devils are probably closer to the 112 point season...

I tells ya this fandom...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad