Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
We need another top 6 winger pretty clearly when we get into the later stage of the season.

Have to hope Mercer isn't the same player as last season but that is unclear. Palat/Tatar will not get it done almost certainly.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think we need to give Keefe a little time to implement his program.

The Defense needs a little time to acclimate also...let's see what this looks like after 30/40 games...we have a lot of new faces here this year and it was never going to be plug and play.

I don't think personnel can really be addressed until Keefe has had a chance to fully implement his plan and see what we really have here...

And talks of Fitz on the hot seat after 10 games are purely coo coo.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
they should switch up the lines at this point

palat-nico-meier
noesen-hughes-bratt
cotter-haula-mercer
tatar-lazar-bastian

it’s clear from the power plays that noesen is the best at digging out pucks from the corners and has the skill to be a threat in close, he’d be the best complement to hughes and bratt. palat in L1 just because nico and meier don’t need him and whatever game he has right now can at least be useful forechecking and cycling, maybe get him going. or swap with tatar who has looked good.

bottom 6 whatever, third line has enough skill to hopefully score some goals and 4th i dunno, it’s what’s left.

i still think they will eventually be a good team i just hope it’s not after they dig a huge hole and make me completely disinterested in them, which has been happening earlier and earlier in the season each year

Reactions: Mgd31

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Mercer needs to stop thinking he is a skill player and take the lunch pail approach, especially with puck management. He tries the hero play to the high slot every damn shift and kills the zone time.

There is a lot of positives. If they can tidy up 3 things in defensive zone they will be a very good team. Boardplay, getting in lanes from the right angle and safer plays exiting the zone. Boardplay is a tough one because he have grenade handlers that often put wingers in tough positions. The odd stretch pass to keep defensmen honest would help. Getting in appropriate lanes is a big issue, we give up very tippable shots to the fat part of the net every shift. Safe plays exiting zone is everything from avoiding difficult touch passes off backhand to ensuring the pucks protected leaving the zone, Bratt turned up ice on an exit last night and the Dmen easily got the puck and extended the shift

I think we need to give Keefe a little time to implement his program.

The Defense needs a little time to acclimate also...let's see what this looks like after 30/40 games...we have a lot of new faces here this year and it was never going to be plug and play.

I don't think personnel can really be addressed until Keefe has had a chance to fully implement his plan and see what we really have here...

And talks of Fitz on the hot seat after 10 games are purely coo coo.
Agreed, I don’t think NJ has been that bad to start the season. The things I mentioned above but I thought outside a couple games torched on the high cycle, NJ has done a good job sticking to their men.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
So we had the picture of Marino on the ice then the pic of Jack on the ice in Detroit this year. I’m noticing a theme among our players

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
they should switch up the lines at this point

palat-nico-meier
noesen-hughes-bratt
cotter-haula-mercer
tatar-lazar-bastian

it’s clear from the power plays that noesen is the best at digging out pucks from the corners and has the skill to be a threat in close, he’d be the best complement to hughes and bratt. palat in L1 just because nico and meier don’t need him and whatever game he has right now can at least be useful forechecking and cycling, maybe get him going. or swap with tatar who has looked good.

bottom 6 whatever, third line has enough skill to hopefully score some goals and 4th i dunno, it’s what’s left.

i still think they will eventually be a good team i just hope it’s not after they dig a huge hole and make me completely disinterested in them, which has been happening earlier and earlier in the season each year
#GETA4CNAMEDLARSELLERPLEASE

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
1729946390749.png

Just how we predicted the scoring would be before the season started.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
People are just gonna move the goal posts for this team until it's January and too late, so it's whatever. They've been trash since Utah, Nico is the only player who's shown up the last week and a half. Hamilton looks like he's lost a step too, not sure where this unbridled optimism is coming from that they'll turn it around. Not to mention, the goaltending is somehow on par with last year's shitshow

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I’m pretty concerned with Dougie. He was already slow as dirt and not good defensively. Now we are just gonna assume that he can recover from a pretty severe injury back to his original form, at his age? I’m not convinced he’s gonna be the player he was prior, and that’s pretty bad because he doesn’t do anything else well to make up for it.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I’m pretty concerned with Dougie. He was already slow as dirt and not good defensively. Now we are just gonna assume that he can recover from a pretty severe injury back to his original form, at his age? I’m not convinced he’s gonna be the player he was prior, and that’s pretty bad because he doesn’t do anything else well to make up for it.

I'd like to see Dougie with another partner before i cast him as toast.....

I am concerned as well, but want to see him away from Dillon for a few games.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
People are just gonna move the goal posts for this team until it's January and too late, so it's whatever. They've been trash since Utah, Nico is the only player who's shown up the last week and a half. Hamilton looks like he's lost a step too, not sure where this unbridled optimism is coming from that they'll turn it around. Not to mention, the goaltending is somehow on par with last year's shitshow
Where should the goalposts be 11 games in with a new coach while breaking in multiple D coming back from injury? And really the franchise player hasn’t even hit his stride yet.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Two years ago they had that long Winn streak and that propelled them the rest of the year. The problem going 2 wins 1 loss, is that it leaves the Devils with a slim margin for error. Now they have lost multiple games. Lucky for them it’s 1) Early and 2) They are above NHL .500.

Make no mistake this team has a losing record and both goalies look shaky.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Where should the goalposts be 11 games in with a new coach while breaking in multiple D coming back from injury? And really the franchise player hasn’t even hit his stride yet.

Not looking like shit in B2B with teams with their other teams backup in? I don't even fault them for the Detroit loss but that's still a comically bad loss in totality. They're losing games in the stupidest fashion, just expecting them to get better from what we've seen this from the Devils outside of 22-23 is wishful thinking. They looked slower than Lou's retirement home of misfits last night, I don't see how that doesn't raise a concern for the majority of this fanbase.

Last edited:

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Two years ago they had that long Winn streak and that propelled them the rest of the year. The problem going 2 wins 1 loss, is that it leaves the Devils with a slim margin for error. Now they have lost multiple games. Lucky for them it’s 1) Early and 2) They are above NHL .500.

Make no mistake this team has a losing record and both goalies look shaky.
And 3) They're getting LOSER POINTS. (something they couldn't even get last season)

Reactions: Dialamo

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
Move Doug Hamilton for a team light on a D man if his jump does not improve. He is 31 and I would hate to see him at 32. Early season other GMs will look to add D to prevent a wasted season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I still want to give Dougie more time before I go to DEFCON 1, he is still getting the rust off from a long term injury and learning a new system. Then again I have a little more patience with guys who weren’t actively involved in last year’s shitshow in general than the ones who were (Mercer, Hughes to a degree).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad