Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
i dunno what everyone else is seeing out there so far this season but to me it seems like the same attitude same mindset same woe is me attitude when the game gets hard. this isn't a doom post so dont take it as such but just basing it on what they have looked like so far. i said yesterday i still think they will make the playoffs and maybe it just takes more time for sheldon to break through to them its sad that is even the case after another coaching change.

It's more or less how I took the loss yesterday. They wilted in the face of adversity by and large, as Tampa took control after they tied it at 1 and ran away with it after tying it at 2.

The pushback came far too little, too late. And that should be something Keefe hits home with these guys. That can't be acceptable.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

urusai-damare.gif

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think I would prefer to go with a Luke-Dougie sheltered pairing. Yeah there is potential for some catastrophic mistakes, but that’s happening with Dillon anyway.

Siegs-Kovy
Dillon-Pesce
Luke-Dougie

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think I would prefer to go with a Luke-Dougie sheltered pairing. Yeah there is potential for some catastrophic mistakes, but that’s happening with Dillon anyway.

Siegs-Kovy
Dillon-Pesce
Luke-Dougie

This is also what I’ve said. You can fallback on the Siegs-Dougie pair but Siegs-Kovy is elite and I’d like to keep them together unless I have to split it up. At least with Luke-Dougie, Luke has the skating to make up for mistakes and that pair could also bring positives offensively that Dillon-Dougie isn’t.

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
People need to prepare themselves for Pesce and Luke needing a few games to get back into the swing of things
I still think having one of them at 25% and the other at 50% is probably still an upgrade or a wash over whatever two would be playing if they're out.

And when I say 25% and 50% I mean rusty, not still 50%-75% injured lol.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
People need to prepare themselves for Pesce and Luke needing a few games to get back into the swing of things

I just don't understand excuses like this.

Sure, they may need some games to start getting points (for Luke, not expecting that from Pesce). They don't need a few games to actually look like a hockey player. Just some weird thinking.

If they need a few games to start caring, to not look like a pewee player handling the puck, and to remember what defense is...we've got far bigger problems

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Sure, they may need some games to start getting points (for Luke, not expecting that from Pesce). They don't need a few games to actually look like a hockey player. Just some weird thinking.

If they need a few games to start caring, to not look like a pewee player handling the puck, and to remember what defense is...we've got far bigger problems
Well Pesce more so than Luke, at least Luke has been skating for the most part and his injury wasn’t as severe. Plus both are in a new system.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

Ehhhh. There has been numerous examples of players taking a while to get back into NHL game speed after injury. I don’t understand denying that.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
lmao We're keeping dumb and dumber together

I was really scared of this happening. Luke and Pesce have been practicing together as a pair this whole time. No way they're breaking up Siegs-Kovacevic pair.

Maybe they shift half of Dillon-Hamiltons ice time to Luke and Pesce and Dillon-Hamilton pairing will be 3rd pairing in terms of ice time? We'll see....that frustrates me though if that is the pairings we'll still see on Thursday

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

Conflating caring with results is annoying neanderthal-brain stuff I would expect Mike Keenen to say. Caring has nothing to do with anything. Neither of these guys have played hockey in months and neither got to have a pre-season or training camp. They are going to be physically rusty and it had nothing to do with "caring," whatever that's supposed to mean.

You can't simulate game intensity during practice, you can't simulate the timing of a guy trying to take your head off when you're working with team mates. No amount of mental prep is going to make up for the physical atrophy of their muscles, the timing of their nerves, the physical conditioning of their heart.

Modern athletes are finally tuned machines and these two have been sitting in a parking lot collecting dust for half a year, they are going to need a few laps to get back up to speed. This is pretty common across all sports, I'm not sure why you're acting like this is some brand new thing that our board has just come up with.

Reactions: NJDevs26

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah I don’t really understand the reluctance to flip the d-pairings at this point either but it’s still October and it’s not like Siegs hasn’t played with Dougie before

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yeah I don’t really understand the reluctance to flip the d-pairings at this point either but it’s still October and it’s not like Siegs hasn’t played with Dougie before

Dillon-Dougie has been helping to kill games recently. It’s awful and needs to change. Like maybe you could’ve kept them together as a 3rd pair if the D was fully healthy to start but they cannot be together with the load they’ve had to carry so far and I wouldn’t be keeping them together when you’ve got 2 guys coming off injuries and you don’t know how good they’ll be at first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad