Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I hope Cotter doesn't turn into a pumpkin. I think we might be getting a bit too high on him. I like him a lot. He's ideal in the bottom 6. But it looks clear to me that he is not a top 6 forward.
It's a non star player playing amazing. Everyone is having fun with it at the moment I don't think anyone is advocating to sign him to a long term 7x8 in July.

It's just fun, like the Colemans of the past. If he has a down few weeks, it won't matter because we know he can play through out the line up and can randomly turn it on to be a contributor all while being paid nothing.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Cotter is shooting 33%. I’m certain nobody thinks that’s gonna continue. But he’s probably a 15% guy. And if he had 2 or 3 goals in 7 games instead of 5 I’d still be hype. That’s 25-35 goal territory.

Almost nobody is a 15% guy and I don't think Cotter is. But he is an instant offense sort of player who can play on any line and generate stuff for himself and that's something the Devils could really use.

Holtz was also this sort of player but he just did it in a different way, and a way that I think is more difficult to do in the playoffs.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Almost nobody is a 15% guy and I don't think Cotter is. But he is an instant offense sort of player who can play on any line and generate stuff for himself and that's something the Devils could really use.

Holtz was also this sort of player but he just did it in a different way, and a way that I think is more difficult to do in the playoffs.
Sorry I mean to type 13% but I fat fingered it sipping wet from Niagara Falls lol. His career number is 13.

What he’s doing more this year than previous seasons is getting pucks on net. Remains to be seen if he can co to ur doing it but that’s the stuff that’s generally sustainable. It’s what propelled Jack from “good metrics guy” to “goddamn he can score”

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I hope Cotter doesn't turn into a pumpkin. I think we might be getting a bit too high on him. I like him a lot. He's ideal in the bottom 6. But it looks clear to me that he is not a top 6 forward.
this isn't why he was brought in so even if he doesnt score much more as long as he brings the other elements i'm completely fine with the trade at the time and even more so now seeing that holtz is 0-0 over 5 games. has anyone watched any knights games? how is he even doing? just also looked at schmid in the minors getting ripped in 1 game.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
it's not really a question of "is holtz good" it's more the simple fact that any chance he had to develop into someone (probably a decent skater with an amazing release) ended with our inept handling of him. i genuinely hoped for a fresh start for him in vegas, hopefully he can start contributing. but it's probably too late, he'll be playing overseas within 5 years.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Context, last year in their first 7 games, they had 22.17 xGA at all strengths.

This year in their first 7 games: 19 xGA all strenghts.

Visually I think the Devils have looked stronger defensively than last year, even if expected goals thinks it’s sort of close.

IMO, the larger discrepancy in numbers is probably last years expected not being higher. I think fantastic chances aren’t given enough credit in models and really poor chances are given too much credit. It evens out for most teams, unless you do way more of one of those instances than other teams.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Visually I think the Devils have looked stronger defensively than last year, even if expected goals thinks it’s sort of close.

IMO, the larger discrepancy in numbers is probably last years expected not being higher. I think fantastic chances aren’t given enough credit in models and really poor chances are given too much credit. It evens out for most teams, unless you do way more of one of those instances than other teams.

I've missed parts of several games so far this season but the biggest change to me, leaving aside the actual structure, is just that it seems like there is almost always a stick or body on an opposing player who is shooting, or at the very least that that player is being angled away from the net.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I've missed parts of several games so far this season but the biggest change to me, leaving aside the actual structure, is just that it seems like there is almost always a stick or body on an opposing player who is shooting, or at the very least that that player is being angled away from the net.
I think you’re right. The Devils just hassle opponents more in general; opponents have less space and freedom overall.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Sorry I mean to type 13% but I fat fingered it sipping wet from Niagara Falls lol. His career number is 13.

What he’s doing more this year than previous seasons is getting pucks on net. Remains to be seen if he can co to ur doing it but that’s the stuff that’s generally sustainable. It’s what propelled Jack from “good metrics guy” to “goddamn he can score”

I still doubt he is sitting at 13% or above when his Devils career is over, but he's got good speed and it seems like he has good hands, and yeah he is getting more shots on goal. There's always the specter of Damien Brunner hanging over a start like this but worst case scenario is that he's just a 3rd/4th line guy who is kinda lousy defensively but still scores goals at an above-average rate and is a handful for defenses.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
it's not really a question of "is holtz good" it's more the simple fact that any chance he had to develop into someone (probably a decent skater with an amazing release) ended with our inept handling of him. i genuinely hoped for a fresh start for him in vegas, hopefully he can start contributing. but it's probably too late, he'll be playing overseas within 5 years.
I took a peep over at the Vegas board and they’re talking about him being a healthy scratch once William Karlason comes back from injury.
I still doubt he is sitting at 13% or above when his Devils career is over, but he's got good speed and it seems like he has good hands, and yeah he is getting more shots on goal. There's always the specter of Damien Brunner hanging over a start like this but worst case scenario is that he's just a 3rd/4th line guy who is kinda lousy defensively but still scores goals at an above-average rate and is a handful for defenses.
The Miles Wood role, but less variance and hopefully fewer stupid penalties. Having a guy that can erupt to make something out of nothing on any given shift can really boost your bottom 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad